from haberdasher to grocer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from haberdasher to grocer?

i have two ancestors, father in law and son in law of the other, both of essex; who in 1818 (tallow chandler + grocer) and 1828 (grocer) were listed as such in their PPC wills. i can find a london apprenticeship record in 1777 for these names but the master is a citizen and haberdasher? the master was apprenticed in 1749 as a haberdasher according to the london freeman records. i have seen people apprenticing as tallow chandlers, grocers, and haberdashers separately.

would haberdashers become grocers without apprenticing as such?

My tree is riddled with grocers in London (three families whose various children often intermarried) and not one of them was apprenticed, though one described himself as a master grocer. All you needed was enough money to set up shop.

Comment

I agree with you Jill, I think in the villages or smaller towns people decided to become a grocer and just set up in their front room.

I have people being grocers on one census, then often going on to running pubs or licenced victuallers on the next. They probably sold what was popular at the time.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you. Thought it was odd people do apprenticeships but weren't needed.

Comment

KJ, I haven't quite followed what you were asking, and my understanding of Freedom of the City is flawed, but I think that I understand -
          * the hold that the Companies in London had on their respective trades was weakening in the latter 1700s - and some Companies more so than others. For instance, I have an ancestor who was a Tin Plate Worker (stated in several records), but I can find no evidence of him getting the Freedom of the Company nor of the City. He almost certainly learned his trade from his father, but I think TPW was losing its hold d/t foreign competition.

* (I think!) Freedom of the City gave the Citizen to right trade in London, even outside of his Company. I have one who is listed (directory) as a Haberdasher, but he was by apprenticeship a Weaver. I have others who show up in one Company's rolls, but they seem to have obtained their Freedom in a different Company.

I've read a few write-ups about the Liveries in London, but nothing that specifically covered this subject. Take the above with a big grain of salt.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 12-02-23, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
          X