Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you read this record? And is my logic good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you read this record? And is my logic good?

My grandmother was born to Irish immigrants in Manhattan, New York. Her father (my great-grandfather) was Daniel Hourigan. His wife (my great-grandmother) was Sarah McSweeny. Sarah's parents were Stephen McSweeny (aka Sweeny) and Susanna Walsh. I've been trying to figure out when Susanna was born and who her parents were. I think I have. But I'd like others' opinions on the evidence. This is a copy of the Ancestry Record.
    Detail Source
    Susanna Walsh[Susan Walsh]
    Baptism
    28 Sep 1807
    St Mary's, Limerick city, Limerick, Ireland
    St. Mary's, Limerick
    Limerick
    Richard Walsh
    Jusanna Barnssell
    That led me to the parish registers where I found this record: https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000635016_092 (Right hand side just above October.)
    I downloaded the document and blew it up (attached). Do you agree that the father's forename is Richard and the mother's surname is Barnesell?

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 10.36.07 PM.png

Now my logic. I have found baptism records for five children, all of whom were baptized in St. Mary's in Limerick. So, I'm thinking that they were probably married in St. Mary's and she was probably baptized in St. Mary's. IOW, this could be her baptism record. (I haven't found Stephen's either - yet.) They must have gotten married about 1835, because their first child was born 19 March 1836. If this is her baptism record, she was about 28 when she married.

Update: I found their marriage record.
    Detail Source
    Susan Walsh
    Female
    Marriage
    Oct 1835
    St Mary's, Limerick city, Ireland, Ireland
    St. Mary's, Limerick
    Limerick
    Stephen Sweeney
    This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pschmehl; 05-02-23, 04:22.

Yes, I agree that the father's forename is Richard and the mother's surname is Barnssel. For what it’s worth, I noticed that the priest who baptised her also stands as her godfather. Plus he doesn’t seem to be one of the regular priests carrying out baptisms in this parish. The R Is consistent for all priests so I assume it is an abbreviation of Reverend. His surname looks like McEnery. The M of his first name is followed by a superscript character but I can’t be sure what it is. M and superscript small L, would indicate Michael but it looks more like a small r as in Richard, Mary etc to me. Actually, looking at all the other priest names, they all seem to be R Msuperscript so I think it might just be Rev Mr McEnery???
    Anyway, the reason I make this point is that godparents were usually relations of some kind, plus if you had a relation who was a priest, he would be a preferred choice for conducting a baptism, wedding etc. So McEnery might be another surname worth keeping on the back burner.
    Who were the priests and godparents in the other baptisms you found?

What does your abbreviation IOW mean when you say IOW, this could be her baptism record.

Christine

Last edited by Karamazov; 05-02-23, 11:09.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Could the surname be BarnsWell?

Christine I presumed that IOW was Isle of Wight!.. though it'd be a pretty long stretch if it were!.

FWIW 28 is a bit old to be starting a family, unless they were previously wed/had other children.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes agreed with parents names and barnsell or barnswell.

close to thirty isn't too old. I have plenty of ancestors first time marriage that late. My great grandmother was around 30, "on the shelf" as my gran put it. Generally only the upper classes in my tree married young, as teens generally.

Comment

I think IOW means In other words.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            Yes agreed with parents names and barnsell or barnswell.

close to thirty isn't too old. I have plenty of ancestors first time marriage that late. My great grandmother was around 30, "on the shelf" as my gran put it. Generally only the upper classes in my tree married young, as teens generally.
            WOW I have loads that married late teens and start a family straight away... I was late to the party myself being 33 when I had my first!..
            Julie

Comment

[QUOTE=Darksecretz;n1367007]

Christine I presumed that IOW was Isle of Wight!.. though it'd be a pretty long stretch if it were!. [/QUOTE

That was all I could think of too, which made absolutely no sense! Looks like GL has supplied the correct explanation down thread.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

GallowayLass is correct. IOW meant in other words. Karamazov, thanks for the cogent analysis. I'll have to look at the other baptisms to see if the same priest performed them all. How were you able to tell that the priest was also the godparent?

Here's the children, in order of birth:
                William - 19 March 1836 - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/57/mode/1up Lyman baptized
                Susana - 12 February 1838 - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/22/mode/1up - I can't tell who baptized her
                George Richard - 29 January 1840 - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/46/mode/1up - I can't tell looks like Housh?
                Mary - 30 March 1842 - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/78/mode/1up - looks like Egan
                Sarah - 1 September 1848 - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...e/181/mode/1up - O'Brien

There is one other child, Annie, whose baptism record I have not found. I don't know her birth date but I assume she was born between the births of Mary and Sarah. All I have for her is three marriage records, and they are very odd. She married a man named Henry Wultzberg whose parents' names were Niles Millson and Hannah Anderstood who were both from Sweden. Her parents are Stephen McSweeny and Susan Walsh. I cannot explain how a man who's father was Swedish would end up with a Germanic surname. The only thought I have is that he chose that name after immigrating to the United States. Normally his name would be Nilesson, assuming they were still using patronymics then. Otherwise it would be Millson, which itself is an odd name for a Swede, as is Anderstood.

Last edited by pschmehl; 05-02-23, 18:21.

Comment

One more question. Do you think that Jusanna could be Susanna? Jusanna is a really unusual forename.

Comment

Psschmehl - in case you didn’t know, FMP have indexed the NLI Catholic registers which makes searching easier. Plus they are free to search and view on FMP, whereas they are behind the paywall on Ancestry.
                    Here are the results I got looking for Sweeney children baptised 1845+/- 10 years with mother Susan. They include the five children you listed in post 8 plus the Ann you were still looking for - transcribed as Synny but take a look at the original record to confirm she’s yours. She was baptised at a different church from the others.
                    https://www.findmypast.ie/search/res...reland&sid=998

My transcription of Susan Walsh’s baptism from the clip you posted:
                    R(everend) Mr McEnery bapt (abbreviation for Latin baptizavit meaning baptised) Susanna dau(ghter) to Richard Walsh and Susanna Barnssel. Sponsors (ie godparents) R M McEnery and Mary Burk.

Sorry - didn’t read your first message properly - you were referring to further baptisms you had found for Susan’s children, not forany siblings she might have had, which is where I was thinking the McEnery name might have come up again...

Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 05-02-23, 20:21.
                    Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by pschmehl View Post
                      One more question. Do you think that Jusanna could be Susanna? Jusanna is a really unusual forename.
                      Definitely Susanna which is the Latinised accusative case for Susan.
                      Researching:

Comment

Here’s the marriage for Richard Walsh and Susan(na) Barnwell 7 May 1796, St Mary’s Limerick. View original record for more info
                        https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript...%2F1489150%2F1

Surname reads more like Barnwell in marriage record and in baptisms for assorted children from this marriage that I found as below:
                        NB I can’t work out why the 1807 baptism you posted for Susanna Walsh doesn’t feature in these results given the search parameters I used - ie name Walsh (with variants), parents Richard and Susan (with variants) baptised Limerick 1807 +/- 10 years. Makes me wonder if there might be some more hidden away...

https://www.findmypast.ie/search/res...reland&sid=999

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 05-02-23, 20:52.
                        Researching:

Comment

Christine, doesn't it seem a little odd that one child would be baptized in a completely different parish? Every other child was baptized in St. Mary's.

I agree that Susanna makes a great deal more sense than Jusanna, and, looking at the record, that definitely could be an S.

Thanks for the tip on FMP. I might have to subscribe to that.

Comment

Christine, doesn't it seem a little odd that one child would be baptized in a completely different parish? Every other child was baptized in St. Mary's.

I agree that Susanna makes a great deal more sense than Jusanna, and, looking at the record, that definitely could be an S.

Thanks for the tip on FMP. I might have to subscribe to that.
                            Yes, it did strike me as odd, re one baptism being in a different church - but it’s the correct names for both parents when you look at the original record, plus the churches seem to be very close to each other, judging by this map - although there is no scale! https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0897
                            This is the best I could do on a modern map - only about half a mile /10 minutes walk between St Mary’s and St John’s, assuming they are on the same sites as they were in the early 1800s which you could easily check for yourself online. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sain...a!3e2?hl=en-gb

Who knows - they might have fallen out with the priest at St Mary’s or even just moved a few streets in Limerick which would have put them in a different parish. Do you know of any addresses or occupations of family members?

No need to take out a sub to FMP if you only want to look at at the Irish Catholic records as they’re free to view there.

Christine
                            Last edited by Karamazov; 05-02-23, 23:33.
                            Researching:

Comment

I know that Stephen McSweeny was a cabinet maker. I'm not sure about addresses.

I had the same thought about a falling out with the priest, but four years later they baptized their youngest daughter back in St. Mary's. Who knows?

Comment

Yes, I'd say so.
                                Julie

Comment

Are there baptisms in general for both churches concurrently? Sometimes if work is being carried out on the church people will use another. I have ancestors from bordeaux in the mid 18th century, their parish church was under repair for some of it, and they are annotated in the baptisms register of st michel. that they were from the parish of st andre. From memory the address was closer to st michel than st andre.

otherwise it is possible there was an issue with the priest/parishioners etc

another good one mentioned above is perhaps they moved, and the new address was in the other parish.

Comment

Working...
                                  X