No announcement yet.

Looking for Violet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next little snippet to help join the dots.....

Edwin ASH and Emily Violet LOTT had a daughter May ASH. When she married in 1938 my Dad's sister Vera was a witness!

1938 marriage Roland T Wise and May Ash.jpg
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
      Next little snippet to help join the dots.....

Edwin ASH and Emily Violet LOTT had a daughter May ASH. When she married in 1938 my Dad's sister Vera was a witness!

1938 marriage Roland T Wise and May Ash.jpg
      were there now living in the same area? I just wonder if the families were just close.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Yes, they did live in that same area - I must add some map research to my ToDo list.

My Dad and his sister also came from a family of tailors and seamstresses which also connects them with May ASH who says she is a Tailoress.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

• does the family tree software do anything with maps? it could be 2 families intertwined with friendship, and geography might be your answer
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

That's amazing, Caroline! I do enjoy learning about the FH software just as much as I enjoy the actual research. I made a rough chart in the diagrams bit last night, just using simple lines and text boxes. Is there a thread on here somewhere to ask about FH software? I don't want to sidetrack this thread with software chatter.
            Gardengirl Try this:

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• Most of the addresses we've been looking at for the Lott/Hall/Flatt/Ash families have been in and around the same area (Wandsworth/Battersea/Clapham), but Dorothy and her parents were nowhere near there - they were 70-odd miles away out by the coast at Sandwich, Kent.

Comment

• sorry I got confused by Gardengirls post, thinking Vera was one of the family in Kent.

Am I right in understanding those in Kent there is still nothing to connect them eg certs/relations etc. and they seemed to have stayed in Kent (some coming from Oxfordshire).

the annotation is very clear, so annoying!
                "But recently I found a photograph which my father had annotated on the back as being “Aunt Ethel’s sister Dorothy ‘Dot’ – (Dot Ash nee Hall) with their daughter Mollie”. I didn’t know anything about this Dorothy so I started researching a bit more and found her in the 1939 register with her husband Herbert and two children John and Mollie. All good so far so I went back to see if I could find out anything else about Violet. And I have drawn a blank – nothing except that one appearance in the 1901 census."​
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-02-23, 22:02.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

• don't think I have posted this 1921:
                  ​​​​​​First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
                  George Hall Head Male 1878 42 Banbury, Oxfordshire, England Gas Stoker Ash Gas Company
                  Annie Hall Wife Female 1880 41 Sandwich, Kent, England Home Duties -
                  Edith Hall Daughter Female 1904 16 Sandwich, Kent, England Domestic Servant Mrs Dunn
                  Dorothy Hall Daughter Female 1907 14 Sandwich, Kent, England - -​
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• it made me wonder if Ethel was a sister in law and not an actual blood sister. But some bloody good detective work there especially from teasie

well done everyone! just need to see what the certs reveal.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by teasie View Post

The marriage of Dorothy Hall to Herbert Ash, to see who Dorothy names as her father, and who the witnesses were.
                      Certificate arrived today with not much additional information unfortunately. Dorothy gives her address as Gas Works, Ash and her father as George HALL (Gas Works Manager) so that might be worth a bit of googling. Witnesses were George HALL (could be her father or brother) and Caroline Ann PITTOCK (her aunt).

Comment

• No new revelations either in Dorothy's birth certificate which came today - her father was given as George HALL and her mother as Annie Louisa HALL formerly LANE I'll just keep plugging away at the various branches and see if anything crops up to connect them.

Comment

No new revelations either in Dorothy's birth certificate which came today - her father was given as George HALL and her mother as Annie Louisa HALL formerly LANE I'll just keep plugging away at the various branches and see if anything crops up to connect them.
                          So, is this Dorothy d/o George and Annie Louisa 'your' Dorothy or is the d/o Walter your Dorothy? I'm getting awfully muddled. [sorry]
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Darksecretz I got confused earlier - but think I have it now!

Dorothy Hall B 30 Dec 1906 married Herbert Rowland Ash and had 2 children John and Mollie Born in Eastry Kent and died in similar area. Seems to have no connection to...

....Ethel Hall married Percy E J Caesar born in Wandsworth Jan 1899 to Emily Mercer and Walter John Hall (who in fact wasn't even Hall he was born with surname Flatt) this large family - children from both parents with different partners and children together and were in Wandsworth/London area 14 children in total Lotts/Halls/Flatts

Ethel is a proven relative to Gardengirl father.

yet Gardengirl found a photograph
                            "which my father had annotated on the back as being “Aunt Ethel’s sister Dorothy ‘Dot’ – (Dot Ash nee Hall) with their daughter Mollie”. I didn’t know anything about this Dorothy so I started researching a bit more and found her in the 1939 register with her husband Herbert and two children John and Mollie.​"

I think this is it....
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-02-23, 16:35.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

No new revelations either in Dorothy's birth certificate which came today - her father was given as George HALL and her mother as Annie Louisa HALL formerly LANE I'll just keep plugging away at the various branches and see if anything crops up to connect them.
                              what was their address? not that it makes any difference as in Kent :(
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

• Brilliant summary, Carolyn!

The birth cert for Dorothy b1906 gives Church Street, St Clement, Sandwich. Is there any significance that the mother is given as Annie Louisa Hall formerly Lane. I thought ‘formerly’ was used for someone who had a previous marriage?

Comment

• I don't think there is significance in the formerly, she is here in 1891

and in 1901

she is in marriage records as Lane when she married George Hall.

I did consider whether aunt Ethel was another Ethel, but that still means no connection to you father!

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Brilliant summary, Carolyn!

The birth cert for Dorothy b1906 gives Church Street, St Clement, Sandwich. Is there any significance that the mother is given as Annie Louisa Hall formerly Lane. I thought ‘formerly’ was used for someone who had a previous marriage?
                                    I think if there had been a previous marriage it would have said “Annie Louisa Hall lately XXX formerly Lane”.

Comment

Brilliant summary, Carolyn!

All my historical birth certs have the mother's surname as her married name "X" followed by "formally Y"

UK Long-Form Birth Certificates In the UK, there are two types of Birth Certificate; a long and short-form. A short-form only shows the child's name, DOB, place

"In all circumstances, the mother's full name will be supplied on the birth certificate of the child. This includes any middle names.
                                      Mother's maiden surname (and any other previous names)
                                      Any previous names the mother has been known by, including her maiden (birth) surname and any other previous marriage names, will be stated on the certificate."

However, a relative of mine, looked after by another couple, was given the name of the "new father" and possibly, quite unaware that her real surname was something entirely different, married with that name as her maiden name. It happens.
                                      It's DNA that can solve the mystery. People lie!!
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                      X