No announcement yet.

Looking for Violet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found her as she married the witness to her brother's marriage! The only one of her siblings I haven't found after 1891 is Lilian Beatrice Caroline Lott, born 29 Dec 1876
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

FMP have helpfully added the mother's maiden names from the GRO index to many (but not all) of the birth records, so I just looked for any births in Wandsworth RD 1885 +/- 2 years with the mmn Mercer, and the only one that came up with Violet in the name was Emily Violet Lott.
      That’s great, I don’t think I knew that you could search that way. I must try and remember that. Thank you for the explanation.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Thanks to Teasie and Ozgirl for finding all that out for me. Very much appreciated.

I’ll sit down this morning and go through it all and add it to my fH tree and Ancestry.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
          Thanks OzGirl. I have ordered the certificate now and I don’t think you can cancel them. And now that you have posted that I think I did see it earlier in my searches but forgot about it. I do get cross with myself when I make mistakes like that Stupid woman!
          I'm pretty sure that you can cancel the cert.. try ringing GRO?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Good idea. I'll try that in the morning. Don't suppose there will be anyone there on a Sunday.

Edit - I found an online form which seemed quite straightforward so hopefully it won't be too late.
            Last edited by Gardengirl; 05-02-23, 10:06.

Comment

I have been searching for Dorothy now, no sign of her birth registration so I used Teasie's technique (post #20) and found this which nearly matches the DOB from the 1939 register 30 Dec 1906. Does the birth quarter mean when it was registered rather than the actual birth date?
              First name(s) Dorothy Edith
              Country England
              Last name Jones
              Volume 1D
              Birth quarter 2
              Page 442
              Birth year 1907
              Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
              Mother's maiden name Mercer
              Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
              District Lambeth
              Subcategory Civil Births
              County London
              Collections from Great Britain, England
              JONES? Who's he? Did Emily marry again?

I found this one on FreeBMD
              Marriage Jun 1907 JONES Edward Macclesfield 8a 224
              Marriage Jun 1907 MERCER Emily Frances Macclesfield 8a 224

What will I find next? I wonder if there is a parish marriage registration online.​​

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong here. Could Emily nee MERCER really have had her first child in 1874 when she was about 17 and her last of 8 children in 1906 when she was 49? By three different fathers? I know it's not impossible but I feel I need to back track and check everything.

Comment

There is no Dorothy with Emily & Walter John in either 1911 or 1921.

As your only 'evidence' that she was Ethel Sophia's sister is from the photograph, I think the marriage certificate will be needed to move this one forward.
                  Last edited by teasie; 08-02-23, 01:00.

Comment

I have been searching for Dorothy now, no sign of her birth registration so I used Teasie's technique (post #20) and found this which nearly matches the DOB from the 1939 register 30 Dec 1906. Does the birth quarter mean when it was registered rather than the actual birth date?
                    .​​
                    yes, it means that she was born in Quarter 2, which is April/May/June.

Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Don't forget, a child's birth must be registered within 42 days of his or her date of birth therefore the baby could have been born in March.​
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The Quarter of registration can only be taken as a guide. I have many, many examples of births registered in the quarter after the actual birth. Sometimes it is because the birth was close to the end of the quarter and sometimes it is just because, as Kat says, they had 42 days to register the birth. However, while it would be normal for a 30th December birth to be registered in Q1 of the next year, it would not have been possible to register that birth date in Q2 (unless they paid a fine or chose a later birth date!).

As an aside to this I have come across at least three examples of infant deaths being registered in the quarter before the birth was registered. How distressing for the parents to have a death close to birth and then later be reminded that the birth had to be registered as well

Anne
                        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 08-02-23, 10:08.

Comment

[QUOTE
                          I found this one on FreeBMD
                          Marriage Jun 1907 JONES Edward Macclesfield 8a 224
                          Marriage Jun 1907 MERCER Emily Frances Macclesfield 8a 224
                          [/QUOTE]

JONES, ADA FRANCES MERCER
                          GRO Reference: 1908 M Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 154​​
                          JONES, CATHERINE MARY MERCER
                          GRO Reference: 1910 M Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 141

This family is on 1911 census:
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                            There is no Dorothy with Emily & Walter John in either 1911 or 1921.

As your only 'evidence' that she was Ethel Sophia's sister is from the photograph, I think the marriage certificate will be needed to move this one forward.
                            Which certificate do you think would be the most revealing? There seem to be quite a lot of marriages going on!

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post

JONES, ADA FRANCES MERCER
                              GRO Reference: 1908 M Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 154​​
                              JONES, CATHERINE MARY MERCER
                              GRO Reference: 1910 M Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 141

This family is on 1911 census:
                              https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...%2F0109%2F2​
                              This link doesn't seem to work for me.

Comment

I think it might be worth getting the birth certificate for Dorothy. It is still possible that she could be the child of Emily Violet nee LOTT?

Comment

This link doesn't seem to work for me.
                                  Try this one:
                                  https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...DM5Ny41OC4wLjA.
                                  Kat

Comment

Thanks, I think we can discount that one then. It doesn't match up with Dorothy. Back to the drawing board!

Comment

Which certificate do you think would be the most revealing? There seem to be quite a lot of marriages going on!
                                      The marriage of Dorothy Hall to Herbert Ash, to see who Dorothy names as her father, and who the witnesses were.

Its possible that your father was mistaken when he said that Dorothy Ash was 'Aunt Ethel's sister'. I'm assuming that you're 100% confident that you have the right Ethel?

Comment

Yes, definitely the right Ethel but it’s the Dorothy bit that is unproven. My dad named the niece as Mollie as well and that ties in with the family in the 1939 register.

I’ll get Dorothy’s marriage cert and see where that leads.

Comment

I can't find any marriage record for Walter apart from one in Norfolk which I don't think is him. He was apparently born in Norfolk but I think there is another Walter John HALL in Norfolk. If they never actually got married at all, surely they would have said on the 1911 census that they were married before their first child was born. This is a mystery.

1911 census Ethel Hall crop.jpg

I have ordered the marriage certificate for Dorothy HALL m Herbert ASH which might reveal something. Maybe I should get her birth certificate as well?
                                          I am late to the party on this one, but you have already ordered the cert?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                          X