Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is George living with his sister??

Possibly sensitive subject.

George Dosson born 1843 (parents George H and Susannah) in Stapperston, Middlesex.

On 1871 ancestry have provided a 1871 hint of George H Dopson born 1843 in Hackey with wife Mary, 6 step children surname furneaux, and 3 youngest children surname Dopson.

I originally accepted this with intreague as furneaux is another family name. Went to see if i could find the link - and it was a lot closer to home than I expected.

Mary Dosson (George's older sister - same dob at 1871 census...) married Frederick furneaux and had all 6 of the step children mentioned (plus others). Frederick died in 1863..

I can accept Mary going to live with her youngest brother. I can even accept her going back to her maiden name to keep up appearances of a happy home (bit odd though). But in that case where do the youngest Dodson (Dosson) children come from??

And is the Julia Dopson living next door part of the mystery? Although I don't have a Julia Dosson in my tree yet.

hmmmmmmm
    Last edited by queenbee; 17-01-23, 15:28.
    Queenbee

Confused about why George changed his name from Georgson to Dopson?
    Anne

Comment

Sorry, that's my autocorrect getting things wrong. I'll edit original post.
      Last edited by queenbee; 17-01-23, 15:27.
      Queenbee

Comment

Had a bit of trouble tracking down George and Mary in 1871, as he is actually transcribed as Georgett Dopon! Here is the link if anyone rlse wants to look.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery.../12248558:7619

The three youngest children, all have mmn as a variation of Furneaux - Furneau, Furnell and Furner, in order. There was also a Louise Dosson born in 1872 in the same area, with mmn Turner. Haven't researched her yet.

I have also found the baptism for a Mary Amelia Dosson, parents George H and Mary in St Pancras - but in 1864. No answers for you yet, but still looking.

Louise was George's daughter. i found her marriage in 1895, age 21, father George H Dosson, a cab driver

Last edited by ozgirl; 17-01-23, 20:31.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Julia Amelia Dosson, b 1828 daughter of George Henry and Susannah. Presumably another sister then

Linda

Comment

Mary Amelia Dosson died in Sep Q 1864, soon after her baptism in August. I wonder if they knew she was dying and that was why they had her baptised. I cannot find baptisms for any of the other Dosson children.

I cannot find much else on George, apart from in the 1891 census, he is living with "wife" Mary who is obviously someone new, but cannot find any thing in the records about her.

This tree on Ancestry seems to have found out a fair bit about the family and looks well researched, but no mention of your question.

Maybe the children weren't George's but it was convenient for everyone to think they were as Mary (Furneaux) was unmarried.
            Linda

Comment

ooh that does look strange.

I started looking - not sure what records you already have. I thought that this marriage was interesting

I assume that Julia that is marrying is step child with surname Dosson, and Witness is other stepdaughter surname furneaux, not followed it all through so may not be correct assumption.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I assume you saw this will? It mentions Mary as guardian and mother of the children and has her address as the one on the 1871 census. One of the trees had it.

I guess that proves it is the same Mary. Unless she died and George married another Mary
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

cbcarolyn please can you link the Will.

ozgirl how do you find Mmn for births pre 1911? I only know how to get them post 1911. And please can you link for the ancestry tree.

thanks

Queenbee

Comment

Oops - sorry, meant to give link to tree. Here it is

Mmn for births pre 1911 are on the GRO site

You need to register but it is free to search the indexes.

The Julia Amelia who married in 1874 was the sister who was living next door to George in 1871.
                    Linda

Comment

Thank you

added Julia into my tree now, she was missing. In 1881 census she's married to Edwin Floyd and Nary Dosson is living with them. Down as a niece. They do like to stay close together these dossons!!
                      Queenbee

Comment

That tree links George as marrying his sister Mary and having 5 children together. Don't think they've noticed!

unless of course it's true..........
                        Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post
                          cbcarolyn please can you link the Will.

ozgirl how do you find Mmn for births pre 1911? I only know how to get them post 1911. And please can you link for the ancestry tree.

thanks
                          doh - forgot the link - here is is!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...6803698&hid=10 13613847773&_phsrc=nHA6186&_phstart=default

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...6803698&hid=10

I am assuming that it is a married sister of Frederick

Name: Matilda Snow
                          Death Date: 8 Oct 1868
                          Death Place: Middlesex, England
                          Probate Date: 28 Apr 1869
                          Probate Registry: Principal Registry​
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-01-23, 17:01.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                            Oops - sorry, meant to give link to tree. Here it is

Mmn for births pre 1911 are on the GRO site

You need to register but it is free to search the indexes.

The Julia Amelia who married in 1874 was the sister who was living next door to George in 1871.
                            as it was so late, I had assumed the younger one.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Just found this, and realised it is on the tree mentioned above, but confused!
                              DOSSON, LOUISE TURNER
                              GRO Reference: 1872 D Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 183
                              Detail Source
                              Name: Louise Dosson
                              Marriage Age: 21
                              Record Type: Marriage
                              Birth Date: abt 1874
                              Marriage Date: 11 Feb 1895
                              Marriage Place: St James Norlands, Kensington, Kensington and Chelsea, England
                              Father:
                              George Henry Dosson
                              Spouse:
                              John Morris
                              Register Type: Parish Register

Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Mary Elizabeth Dosson is on 1911 census as a widow, and says she has no children.

Ancestry is playing up
                                https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F0303&parenti d=GBC%2F1911%2FRG14%2F00152%2F0303%2F1

First name(s) Mary Elizabeth
                                Last name Dosson
                                Sex Female
                                Birth year 1851
                                Age 60
                                Marital status Widow
                                Occupation Charwoman
                                Birth place Kensington Middlesex
                                Birth place as transcribed Kensington Middlesex
                                Full address 170 Portland Road, Kensington, London & Middlesex, England
                                Address 170 Portland Road
                                Parish Kensington
                                County London, Middlesex
                                Country England
                                Registration district Kensington
                                Registration district number 2
                                Sub-district Kensington Central
                                Sub-district number 2
                                Enumeration district number 13
                                Archive series RG14
                                Piece number 152
                                Schedule 154

And here they are in 1901...living with turners!
                                Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
                                Charles Turner Head Married Male 51 1850 Cab driver Chiswick, Middlesex, England
                                Jane Turner Wife Married Female 51 1850 Laundress Richmond, Surrey, England
                                Blanche Turner Daughter Single Female 16 1885 Preparer in laundry London, England
                                Henry Ollington Boarder Single Male 23 1878 Brewer's drayman Notting Hill, Middlesex, England
                                William Stocker Boarder Single Male 21 1880 Carman for contractor Hungerford, Berkshire, England
                                George Dosson - Married Male 58 1843 Cab driver Haggerston, Middlesex, England
                                Mary Dosson - Married Female 52 1849 - Kensington, Middlesex, England

First name(s) Mary
                                Last name Dosson
                                Relationship -
                                Marital status Married
                                Sex Female
                                Age 52
                                Birth year 1849
                                Birth town Kensington
                                Full address 231, Portland Road, Kensington, London & Middlesex, England
                                House number 231
                                Street Portland Road
                                Parish Kensington
                                County London, Middlesex
                                Country England
                                Registration district Kensington
                                Sub-district Kensington Town
                                Enumeration district 72
                                Archive reference RG13
                                Piece number 31
                                Folio 141
                                Page 3
                                Schedule 15
                                ​​
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

did you get any further in this?

I guess a birth cert is in order for the later children. I notice that the sister next door is at marriages of older children, wonder if the children were hers and they didn't want them under her name in census.

I am confused as there is this baptism in 1864
                                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...6803700&hid=10 13617519068&_phsrc=ZFe1106&_phstart=default

Mary Amelia Dosson there is a death registered in this name, just can't find birth at the moment

and the birth record ....2 years after
                                  DOSSON, MARY FURNEAU
                                  GRO Reference: 1866 J Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 153
                                  also all the children are registered in Kensington, not Hammersmith although neighbouring so could make sense.​
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-01-23, 08:54.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    ooh that does look strange.

I started looking - not sure what records you already have. I thought that this marriage was interesting

I assume that Julia that is marrying is step child with surname Dosson, and Witness is other stepdaughter surname furneaux, not followed it all through so may not be correct assumption.
                                    Just catching up with this. I'm happy that this is George's sister who married Edwin Floyd when she was 46. Susannah would be her niece who would be 20 at the time
                                    Queenbee

Comment

So it looks like George Henry married a lady named Mary after 1871 and had at least 1 child with her (louise).

Hes on the 1871 census with his sister listed as his wife (she was widowed) and her children as his step kids. Another unmarried sister is living alone next door. All sounds very shared parenting, and Julia is obv close to her nieces/nephews as 1 is a witness to her wedding later on.

The parentage of 4 children is still in question. Mary Amelia (born and died in 1864); Mary 1866, Violet 1869 and Henry G 1870. The Furneaux man given for these children with GRO points to them belonging to Henry's widowed sister Mary as her late husband was Frederick Furneaux (died 1862) - just not sure who the father is....

And the marriage info of Georges eventual wife Mary E is still unknown.

Its sounding a bit more understood now, but still far from simple!

Queenbee

Comment

need to get a birth cert of one of the later children, he clearly says they are his step children!

I have not found any marriage of a George and a Mary.

Here are a few newspaper clips one I think is a red herring - but thought it might be another branch

dosson4.jpg

dosson3.jpg

dosson2.jpg

dosson1.jpg
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X