The undutiful grandson's will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The undutiful grandson's will

William Lester ran way from his apprenticeship and joined the army, so his grandmother only left him £20 for his "undutiful behaviour" towards his widowed mother. He was still a minor when his mother died so a cousin was his guardian, having invested the £20 on his behalf and managing the property William's father (a surgeon) had left to William, his only child.

Away with the Welsh Fusiliers fighting in the war of the Austrian succession in which his regiment fought, he wrote his will aged 21 the day after the Battle of Dettingen began. At some point between June 1743 and Feb 1744 he was killed.

He left everything to his sergeant's wife Elizabeth (though there were cousins back home, but he'd obviously fallen out with them). I think I can read the surname of Elizabeth but I'd just like to run it past you please if you have an Ancestry sub.)

Will of William Lester - Elizabeth top of first page.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 13-01-23, 14:36.

? Mahooef or Mahoorf ?, I can’t decide which.

Comment

That's a long way from what I thought it might be, but thanks for looking.

Comment

Mahoorf ? sounds dutch to me.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Walwork?
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I think Walwork too.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

From looking again I'd say that you are right keldon and Katarzyna the K at the end is rather fancy.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

keldon and Katarzyna thank you, that was what I was hoping you would say! I'd been through several permutations before settling on that but wanted to be sure.

This family had a property dispute rumbling over several years during William's minority which even had provision in his aunt's will to sell a property to finance the legal bill, so I bet they were galled to find out he'd left everything to a friend!

Comment

Had another look after other suggestions and yes, I can see Walwork.

Comment

I had a look before reading other people's guesses and came up with Walwork or Walworth
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                    X