Murder of Charles Blackburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder of Charles Blackburn

My great great grandfather Charles Edward Blackburn was murdered in Cleveland, Ohio on December 24, 1924. He was born in May 1871 in Cambridgeshire, England. Married Mary Ann Parker in 1901 in Croydon, had 6 children then abandoned my family in 1910 and emigrated to America aboard the Cairnrona. I have attempted to find out the result of his murder investigation but have been unsuccessful. After contacting both Cleveland Court and Cleveland Police, all I have gained is his autopsy record. This had his name as Harold E Blackburn, a possible mixup or alias I don't know. I have 2 newspaper clippings describing the event, a possible robbery attempt, but cannot find anything that discusses the case resolution.
    My family remained in England and never saw Charles Blackburn again. It would be a great way to close this story if I could find out what happened with the case, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or insights on potentially working this out?

Thank you!

I assume you have his death cert that confirms he is your man and that he was murdered. have you checked all newspaper sites? Maybe one day it will turn up in a paper. was it reported in the UK?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have you tried contacting Cleveland Public Library? They hold digital copies of the Plain Dealer from 1845-1991, which are searchable by name, date etc.

Comment

I've looked on newspapers.com. I can only see snippets of the newspapers as I do not have an account. I can see three artciles referring to the arrest of 4 suspects for the murder of Charles Blackburn night watchman. There are no subsequent reports of any trial. This suggests to me that perhaps there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute them. If there are any documents surviving I assume they would be with the police. D.A.'s office or County archive.

Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

You might try this site.

I found one newspaper article, there may be more?
          Orwell Newsletter, page 2. 8.1.1925

Cleveland Police are holding four suspects with the murder of Charles Blackburn, 53, night watchman. Blackburn was found unconscious on his doorstep by his wife. He died in hospital.

Another newspaper archive. Snippet only. Only one article found. This still suggests the case didn't go anywhere.
          https://cleveland.newsbank.com/searc...2AFBBA107AC9E4

Last edited by keldon; 09-01-23, 16:06.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
          X