Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 55: My ancestor was a sportsman or woman

Week 55: My ancestor was a sportsman or woman

This is an opportunity to showcase a sportsman or woman from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their sport eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum

[Next week: Engineer]​​​

My husband's distant relative John William Juniper (1851-1885) was a professional cricketer who played for Sussex. He was born in Southwick, son of Gad Juniper a master mariner who at one point was the Pilot at the port of Shoreham, and his wife Rhoda. Gad died of yellow fever in Puerto Rico in 1865.

A descendant of the Junipers tells me that John William Juniper was employed at Sheffield Park the country estate of Lord Sheffield (the grounds are now owned by the National Trust) who was a wealthy patron of cricket. This enabled John to play and be employed as a gardener in the off season.

Lord Sheffield created a cricket ground (still played on) with elegant pavilions (only the foundations remain) and first class cricket was played there from 1881 visitors arriving on what is now the heritage steam Bluebell Railway, the first Australian cricket team visit was in 1884.

John Juniper was taken ill at a Sussex match again Cambridge University in June 1885, what appeared to be a heavy cold was in fact typhoid and he died at his mother's home.

A benefit match for his widowed mother between Gentlemen and Players was held at Hove in September. Player scored 124 then Gentlemen were dismissed for 113, the second innings had not been going long before rain stopped play.

Comment

My Husbands Uncle - his Dad's brother played rugby for England.

There are obits on line and not much else I can add, the biggest mystery is why he was Peter - as that is one name not on his birth cert!

"Charles ‘Peter’ Garfield Woodruff, known to team mates as Charlie but to family as Peter, has died aged 99. He was the last England international to have served in WW2.

The talented wing was expected at a recent Harlequins Players’ Association lunch at the RAC, London, but collapsed and died at Leicester station.

Said RFU President Peter Wheeler: “Peter Woodruff was a true man of rugby and still very much involved as both a Harlequins and England past player. He will be greatly missed by the game and our thoughts are with his children, grandchildren and his whole family.”

Immediate RFU Past President and fellow Harlequins player, Chris Kelly, added: “As our oldest living international, he was an extraordinary character and was a guest at the South African game at Twickenham last year. A Barbarian, he was at the recent memorial service for Micky Steele-Bodger, and was on top form. He really was a delightful man.”

Born in Newport, Peter could have played for Wales but made his Test debut for England in the 1951 Five Nations when he played in his debut against Wales at Swansea. The last of his four caps was v Scotland at Twickenham in March that year when England won by two points.

Having celebrated his 99th birthday on October 30th, he was the last England international to have served in the Second World War, flying Dakotas for Transport Command and even dropping paratroopers over France as part of D-Day. During the war, he married Eileen and they had three daughters and a son.

Demobbed as a Flight Lieutenant, Peter joined the Civil Service. Initially playing for Cheltenham, he joined Harlequins at the insistence of Peter Brook, the former Harlequin and England forward, making his first appearance against Cardiff in February 1950 and going on to represent them over the next 14 seasons.

Peter also made appearances for the Civil Service, Kent, Gloucestershire, Western Counties, London Counties and the Barbarians. Having played his last match with Quins at the age of 42, he eventually hung up his boots at the age of 56 playing for Stroud 4th XV under the captaincy of his son, Peter."

he was in the pathfinders in the RAF, still driving at around 95, and used to pop in and see MiL on his way from Leicester to Lyne Regis, she moaned everytime!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
      X