Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania look up please?

Hello,

Would anyone be willing to look up two deaths please? They are showing as hints on Ancestry but I don't have WW sub and they are not showing on FMP for me to be able to buy with credits!

Anne/Anna Josland b. 1848 Wales (b.1849 on the 1830 USA census) was last living in Manifold, Washington County, Pennsylvania, her husband William H was born roughly 1854 Devon but isn't on the 1830 census but a hint comes up for him for a death (transcribed as Henry Jasland).

Thank you

Tessie

The 2 deaths are for 2 of the daughters, Helen Maria Davis in 1954 and Violet Louise Humbert in 1949, On both Henry and Anna Spooner are named as parents. Cannot see any deaths for either William Henry or Anna yet.

Added: it looks like Anna was already widowed when she emigrated to the States. There is this entry for a passible death for William Henry

Last edited by ozgirl; 02-01-23, 09:46.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Found Anna's death in 1935. Have pm'ed you. Let me know if it doesn't arrive
      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        The 2 deaths are for 2 of the daughters, Helen Maria Davis in 1954 and Violet Louise Humbert in 1949, On both Henry and Anna Spooner are named as parents. Cannot see any deaths for either William Henry or Anna yet.

Added: it looks like Anna was already widowed when she emigrated to the States. There is this entry for a passible death for William Henry

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...YyNTYuMjguMC4w
        Can anyone find a newspaper article about the accident?

Comment

There are a number of articles in the BNA - the accident took place in Leighton Buzzard. He was walking by the side of the track as a train was approaching and mistakenly stepped in front of it. From the Bicester Herald 19 June 1885.

Screenshot (23).png

None of them mention his wife by name. Henry and Anna had also had a son, Arthur Henry, who died a year after his father, as well as the 2 girls. Other reports mention that he lived in Willesden in London, so was away from home when he died.

On FMP if you search for Henry Josland, and narrow searching to June 1885 it brings up 8 results.
          Last edited by ozgirl; 02-01-23, 14:53.
          Linda

Comment

Thank you!

I wonder why they ended up in America
            Last edited by tessie31082; 02-01-23, 21:38.

Comment

I don't have a sub these days, but Ancestry has this database All UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 results for Josland

​and they have records for Joslands with then initials H L, A J, C J, and J T

Comment

I wonder if someone could find her obit?

Comment

Looked at the Railway records and none of them are for Henry. Also as far as I can see there is no obit for Anna. Can't find any of them in any census prior to 1920 either, they are very elusive! Anna and the girls emigrated to the States in 1888.
                  Linda

Comment

Sorry, could someone post the details of Anna's death in 1935?

Comment

in case someone needs them in the 1920
                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

and 1930
                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-01-23, 22:09.

Comment

Violet Louise Jasland Humbert memorial page on FindAGrave
                        https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...louise-humbert with links to pages for her husband and children. Has her DC, too. Someone could request her page be linked to her father's

Comment

I wonder if this could be them in 1910 - Annie Hall, with daughters Violet and May, all born England
                          https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...3A1%3AMGZL-XW6

it's in use for another person in FamilyTree, but not sure I understand how it fits with that person?

not finding a Hall/Spooner-Josland-Jasland marriage in FreeBMD
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-01-23, 22:38.

Comment

Found out a little more about Anna and daughters after the death of Henry and their departure to the States.

1888 - arrived in New York 17 Dec.

1892 - married John Points/Pointz/Poyntz on 24 October in Allegheny. She was listed as Hanney Joslyn. Both were widowed. John was born in Wales

1900 - census, with John, her 2 daughters, John's son William and (I think ) John's mother Martha, The girls are listed as Joslym. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

Haven't found John, Anna and the girls in 1910.

1911 - City directory, Violet L Josland, Washington, Pennsylvania, residence on Lewis; Helen M Josland, nurse, boarding city Hospital. No entry for any version of Points.

1913 - could be a red herring. City directory for Canton, Stark, Ohio - Anna Josland, Widow of Henry.

1917 - City directory, Washington Pennsylvania. Anna Josland, widow of Henry, 63 Wilson; Helen Josland, nurse 63 Wilson.

1919 - City directory - Anna Josland, widow of Henry, residence N Main.

1920 - Census - Anna and Helen are living with married Violet and her family. Violet had married Thomas Humbert on 18 Dec 1911.

1930 - Anna still living with Violet.

1935 - Anna dies 26 May 1935 in South Strabane , Pennsylvania, informant is her son-in-law. Her dob is given as 19 Feb 1854.

Haven't found John Poyntz after 1900 - wonder if the marriage broke down and she reverted to her previous name. There is a death for a John Poyntz, born in Wales, in 1921, a widower in Washington County, Pa, which could be him. John's son William went to California, where he died in 1930, and his other son Thomas lived in Pennsylvania until his death.

Washington Pa to Canton Ohio, is only about 100 miles away, so quite possible it is the same Anna.

All these were on Ancestry. If you want any links/images let me know.
                            Last edited by ozgirl; 03-01-23, 22:55.
                            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                              I wonder if this could be them in 1910 - Annie Hall, with daughters Violet and May, all born England
                              https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...3A1%3AMGZL-XW6
                              I had a close look at that one on Ancestry, but it is another family. In 1920, Violet is still single and still living with her sister (Anna M) also still single. Their parents were Henry Hall and Annie Alvis.
                              Linda

Comment

ozgirl - well done! I think that takes care of questions about this family (unless an obit can be uncovered)?

Comment

Just found a Henry Joslyn with wife Anna in Chillicote Ohio in 1905, so this might rule out the Ohio entry.
                                  Linda

Comment

Wow, super info thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                    X