Suname of Judith??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suname of Judith??

Hello, Thomas Slater married Judith ?? in 1701. It is transcribed as Startiphant - definitely starts with an S and ends in phant but can't work out middle bit. Hoping to find her baptism if I can work out her name unless it is correct!! Can anyone decipher any better?

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

They are the third one under 1701.

Thank you

I think Startiphant is the correct transcription. There are numerous other baptisms & marriages in the late 1600s & 1700s in Lancashire for the same surname or close variants, such as Startifant, Startivant etc

ADDED: Lancashire Archives also have records for that surname (and variants) going back to the 1600's. Doing a quick search of the catalogue using wildcaeds brought up records as far back as 1612 (John Startivant of Chippinge, yeoman).
    Last edited by teasie; 28-12-22, 22:33.

Comment

Wow, well done teasie! I tried fiddling about with Google but got nowhere. It does clearly look like Startiphant but like tessie I didn't believe it was a real name.
      Anne

Comment

Thats lucky - Lancashire online Parish Records

Marriage: 28 Jul 1701 All Hallows, Mitton, Lancashire, England
        Thomas Slater -
        Judith Startiphant -
        Register: Marriages 1700 - 1740, Page 36, Entry 6
        Source: Original Parish Register​
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
        X