In praise of Facebook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In praise of Facebook!

I know facebook has it's down sides but it can also be a godsend if used wisely. Yesterday I had two amazing gold nugget successes on two very different challenges so I though I'd share my experiences.

I have been working my way though bags, boxes and albums of old photos and documents, mostly passed on to me from my father (long gone) and some concerning my mother (even longer gone). Amongst the albums were some holiday photos from the early 1970s. They were short trips involving my parents and my younger brother - the rest of us were older and no longer involved in family holidays. My father had carefully annotated most of them but there were three showing my parents outside a building that obviously used to be a railyway station. I asked my brother about it and he remembered it being in Yorkshire but couldn't remember anything else. So off to facebook and I found a group page about Yorkshire railways. I posted the pictures and asked if anyone recognised the place. I had an answer within 2 minutes and when I googled it I found a wonderful old Pathe news video about the station and the people who lived there. Fantastic!

The second 'find' was even more amazing! I had a very vague and fuzzy memory that after my Mum died when we were all quite young, my father (a very successful business man) had donated some money for a library building somewhere 'up north' and there was a plaque there dedicating the building to my mother. That was all I knew. But amongst the papers were some correspondence between my father, his accountant and The Shaftesbury Society (which at that time was a charity supporting people with physical and mental disabilities). The letter mentioned York Hose in Ossett and said that the wording of the plaque had been agreed and inviting my father to the opening ceremony for the new building. I tried googling York House and got a phone number but there was no response and the Shaftesbury Society no longer exists, having morphed into Livability. I sent them an email explaining my connection and asking if the plaque was still there but as yet have had no response. So off to facebook where I found a Friends of York House group page and sent them a similar message. I had a really quick response from someone who said it was indeed still there and within 24 hours they had sent me a photo of the plaque! I can't tell you how thrilled I was - it brought a tear to my eye and still does when I think about it. After 50 years with a vague and fuzzy memory I now have tangible proof that it was true - thanks to the wonders of Facebook.

HVG plaque at York House Ossett.jpg

So that's my facebook research story.

Anybody else tried using it as a research tool?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

What a wonderful thing to find with a connection to your mother. I’d be mega chuffed if ever a library was named after me.

Comment

I have tried but without success. I have a photo of my GGF on Daddy’s side. It’s obviously a staff photograph. There are two very prim and proper old ladies sitting front centre who I presume owned the firm. The photo was taken outside a building with rather distinctive glazing. My thoughts are that it must be either in Ellesmere or Whitchurch, Shropshire.
      I’ve tried a few local groups on FB, the Shropshire FHS website (I am a member) and a Whitchurch historical group.
      Maybe it’s time I tried again.

Comment

I have some lovely photos from Harlow, but apart from the church not quite as old as when my lot was there. There is a 'old and new' group, and also managed to get a photo of some records, someone had posted.

There are many entitled old and new photos and I belong to our local one, and have participated by helping out people who find it and are not local.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I belong to several Facebook groups who have been very helpful, some are just for local history and others more general. Several family members are on the one for my mother's home village area and I have met several second and third cousins via it. I belong to one for my father's home town in Lancashire and put a lot of the photos that I brought back from my late aunt's including school ones from the early 20th century, so even though I don't know the people in the photo I have at least had help identifying the school.

I deleted my many contributions from a county-wide site and left it after the queen bee sole admin failed to moderate the unkindness shown to a member by several people because they thought he had posted too many photos of his parents, so it's not all good. I have found a better run group to join instead.

Comment

Such a shame when the few spoil things for the many
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Gardengirl How lovely and how kind of someone to go out and photograph it in this awful cold. There are some good people about.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

how lovely for you, the power of the internet sure makes the world a smaller place.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I gave up on Facebook and deleted my account some months ago. It was so challenging to gain audience and promote my business. Instead, I started to develop my Instagram page. Its features attracted me from the first days. Even more so after I bought instagram reels views and boosted the engagement. I've grown my page in a short time. Now I regret that I spent so much time and resources on Facebook. But I'm glad you managed to find a connection to your mother. Congrats for your Facebook research!
                  Last edited by DenVinces; 05-01-23, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by DenVinces View Post
                    I gave up on Facebook and deleted my account some months ago. Its downsides ****** me off.
                    I guess it all depends how you use it, I read more than I post and I don't allow toxic people to spoil my time....
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by DenVinces View Post
                      I gave up on Facebook and deleted my account some months ago. Its downsides ****** me off. It was so challenging to gain audience and promote my business. Instead, I started to develop my Instagram page. Its features attracted me from the first days. Even more so after I bought instagram reels and boosted the engagement. I've grown my page in a short time. Now I regret that I spent so much time and resources on Facebook. But I'm glad you managed to find a connection to your mother. Congrats for your Facebook research!
                      !!!!
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-01-23, 16:46.

Comment

Sorry, Den Vinces, but I don’t understand your last post. What are the !!! for?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                          Sorry, Den Vinces, but I don’t understand your last post. What are the !!! for?
                          I think it's a spam account to promote instagram/business. Only three posts and nothing genealogy related.

Comment

I thought it might be so I was testing for a human response!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

I think it's a spam account to promote instagram/business. Only three posts and nothing genealogy related.
                              Just seeing how much rope they need before pulling their plug
                              Julie

Comment

ahh well.... no need to worry now.
                                Julie

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                  X