No announcement yet.

Jane Wallace - born Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So no documentation for Jane, before 1871 census; then her marriage later that year and, presumably, subsequent census returns and family events?

Nothing for her parents, apart from their names being recorded on Jane's marriage certificate?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      So no documentation for Jane, before 1871 census; then her marriage later that year and, presumably, subsequent census returns and family events?

Nothing for her parents, apart from their names being recorded on Jane's marriage certificate?
      Yes nothing for Jane before 1871 census
      Her parents also get mentioned on her death cert. as Thomas Wallace (labourer) and SUSANNA Wallace m.s. Baird. On all census 1871-1891 place of birth is Belfast Ireland or just Ireland, on 1901 its GLASGOW.
      Have birth and death certs for children in 6 b. Glasgow, 1 d. Stirling & 2 b, Dundee.

Comment

There are a couple of separate, basic trees on Ancestry showing Thomas Wallace and Susan Baird. One shows them having a daughter Jane (your lady) whilst the other tree records them as having a daughter Isabella Wallace born Ireland c1843. It has Isabella marrying John Robertson and the couple and their two children living at 12 Shilong Square, parish of St Paul Glasgow in1871.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There are a couple of separate, basic trees on Ancestry showing Thomas Wallace and Susan Baird. One shows them having a daughter Jane (your lady) whilst the other tree records them as having a daughter Isabella Wallace born Ireland c1843. It has Isabella marrying John Robertson and the couple and their two children living at 12 Shilong Square, parish of St Paul Glasgow in1871.
          One will probably be mine. The Isabella/John Robertson is interesting. I have reserved a space at Genealogy Centre at Mitchell Library in Glasgow for 17th January, so can have a look then. Will get back on Ancestry also.
          Thanks for all your help, do you need anything from the Scottish records?

Comment

According to the 1871 census return, Isabella, her husband and daughter Elizabeth were all born in Ireland. I couldn't find a corresponding Wallace/Robertson marriage on scotlandspeople. However I did find the 1870 birth registration for their son John (mmn Wallace.) I didn't spot a Scotland death registration for mother Susan Wallace (nee Baird) so perhaps Isabella & family migrated to Scotland for work purposes and perhaps Jane came with them?????
            Seems like you might have a bit of a search on your hands, some events in NI and others in Scotland.
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-12-22, 16:10.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post

One will probably be mine. The Isabella/John Robertson is interesting. I have reserved a space at Genealogy Centre at Mitchell Library in Glasgow for 17th January, so can have a look then. Will get back on Ancestry also.
              Thanks for all your help, do you need anything from the Scottish records?
              Thanks for the offer, but I'm okay, thanks - my Dad's brother ran off to Scotland to marry one of the herring fisher girls in 1913 as he was not 21 and granny wouldn't give permission for the marriage in England! I've got the marriage and death certs and details of the BMD for the 4 children. There were only 2 surviving grandchildren, so I don't have much of a Scottish connection. A whole gaggle of Irish though, who came over during the famine years
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-12-22, 16:09.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

According to the 1871 census return, Isabella, her husband and daughter Elizabeth were all born in Ireland. I couldn't find a corresponding Wallace/Robertson marriage on scotlandspeople. However I did find the 1870 birth registration for their son John (mmn Wallace.) I didn't spot a Scotland death registration for mother Susan Wallace (nee Baird) so perhaps Isabella & family migrated to Scotland for work purposes and perhaps Jane came with them?????
                Seems like you might have a bit of a search on your hands, some events in NI and others in Scotland.
                Found the mar. cert. for Isabella Wallace and John Robertson 19or20 Dec 1864 in Glasgow, WITNESS Jane Wallace!! she would be 15 at time.

Comment

A happy outcome then!
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X