X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 3 children without their names, online🤔

Does that make sense? lol
    I shall explain.

My paternal gt grandparents, born 1858 and 1859 had 6 children that I knew of, including granddad, who was the youngest, born in 1903.

Some years ago, I was told that they’d had 10 children but lost 4.
    I eventually visited the library near where they lived but only managed to find one child who was definitely theirs, a daughter, born in 1900 and died Feb.1901.

Is there anywhere, online, that I can search for the other children, using their parents’ names and the area where they lived?
    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-11-22, 15:05.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

GRO or free BMD and FMP all have sets of records with surname and mothers maiden name. is that what you mean?

Or if they had them baptised and records are on Ancestry you can search sets of records and put in parents names
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

When you say “lost”, do you mean stillborn, died soon after birth or in infancy or do you mean miscarried? There won’t be any record of the latter but Guy Etchells had started a major project to collect data for the Stillbirth Register which stands at c10,000 entries. Sorry I don’t know which dates it covers nor where to find it. Try searching at his business website Anguline Research to see if there’s any mention there, presumably it’s still up?

Comment

Do they say they had 10 children on the 1911 census? If so how many do they say died?
        In my experience people must have sometimes included stillbirths and late miscarriages in the 1911 total. I can usually find all the births but not always, which has lead me to that conclusion.
        Is it a very common surname? Is the mother's maiden name very common too? That certainly complicates a search of the GRO index using just surname and mother's maiden name but not impossible.
        Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 30-11-22, 18:17.

Comment

Thank you all.
          I spent some time searching the GRO records, but only the one I’d found previously, came up.

I guess the others were stillborn and not registered.

1911 census says 10 born and 6 living.
          Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-11-22, 19:03.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
            Thank you all.
            I spent some time searching the GRO records, but only the one I’d found previously, came up.

I guess the others were stillborn and not registered.

1911 census says 10 born and 6 living.
            did you find the ones you that lived? if so then it must be still born. I have seen deaths that were not registered, worth look at deaths in that area with that surname that were 0 old
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

t59519D05-19BA-4065-95F9-A774C736F2C2.jpg 40BD2C8C-BE54-48E3-8D60-5109AE3A2B6A.jpg
              Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

did you find the ones you that lived? if so then it must be still born. I have seen deaths that were not registered, worth look at deaths in that area with that surname that were 0 old
              Yes
              I know a lot about the 6 offspring. Three emigrated to OZ, one of whom died soon after enlisting in WW1.

Ooops, the pics have come out in the wrong place
              That’s George aged 21. Granddad’s eldest bro. Died after a few weeks in France 1918.
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-11-22, 20:13.

Comment

The question on the 1911 census is (number of) "children born alive to present marriage", so the 10 should not include any stillbirths.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                  The question on the 1911 census is (number of) "children born alive to present marriage", so the 10 should not include any stillbirths.
                  I hadn't seen the post re 1911 census.

Maybe born elsewhere, I would check all births with both names. unless the are jones and smith!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    I agree, that's what should be shown but I suspect it is not always the case. At the other extreme I have seen several 1911 censuses which list all the children by name whether they are dead or alive or even living at home still!
                    Anne

Comment

Alternatively, I've a woman in my research who gave birth, but child died in infancy. When the question of how many children born was asked in a subsequent census, the answer written was zero. Sometimes it just hurts too much, or maybe sometimes the person answering the questions doesn't know?

Comment

If you give us the mothers married and maiden name we can have a look for you.... oh and area where she lived would be helpful for an idea of the reg district...

many eyes make light work and all that...
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Mmn ... Looker

They lived in the Brentford, Middx. area
                          Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-12-22, 11:44.

Comment

Mmn ... Looker

We need her married surname too, per post # 12
                            Last edited by teasie; 02-12-22, 01:18.

Comment

Agree with anne, most people didn't understand census questions. My great great grandparents listed all their children in 1911, the 3 eldest were married with their own households. My great grandmother was their 4th, and she is listed at home with them as well as her employer's residence.

another widowed great great grandad answered the children question, and instead of drawing a line through it, the enunerator rubbed it out...at least i knew the answer already.

Comment

Mmn ... Looker

Rachel Scand whats the married name please?
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

‘tis ok everyone, they’ve all been found👍🏼

not by me, of course!!!

much thanks for the help xx
                                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 02-12-22, 14:00.

Comment

Working...
                                  X