William Phillips Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Phillips Jones

Hi, I wondered if I may be able to borrow a fresh pair of eyes please?

I've found that William Phillips Jones is missing from the 1891 Census of his parents and the next record I have for him is his death in 1897. He has a lot of siblings and I know a few of the brothers emigrated so wondered if he did, he is on all of his records as William Phillips Jones or William P Jones but tonight I've come across a Census for 1891 for a William Jones in the Tower Of London itself.

The birth year and location of Middlesex is correct just doesn't have the P or Phillips so I'd like to know if anyone else thinks it could be pointing towards it being him?

Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

where and when was he born? where was he in 1881?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

April 1871 • Twickenham, Middlesex, England with a Baptism and the 1881 Census also stating the same location.

1881- 35 Edbrooke Road, Paddington

Comment

Still puzzling over this one as it's an area I know having lived in the next street to Edbrooke St in the 60's

The only thing I can find so far is an 1891 for what is transcribed as a William Jones but not very revealing as it's N/K to most of the answers. He is in a shared house at 45 Tavistock Road which is fairly close to Edbrooke St (3miles). Says he is married. I can't see a marriage.

Do you have dc. It's a Fulham reg but at that time Fulham covered Kensington/Paddington area.

Vera
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

I don't have any certificates for him yet, I only have what I've found on ancestry so far. I cannot even find an 1871 Census for his parents and that's the year he was born.

I've even tried looking for Enlistment records on Forces & FMP because of that Census claiming Soldier.

I had a look on Google Maps and the street seems to be within 10 minutes of where his Uncle lived when he was in London, he moved to London for about 2 years before coming back to the North East. That is if Woodchester Street became Woodchester Square afterwards. Then again, his Uncle's time in London was just as much a puzzle as the Nephew's.

Comment

I can see Sarah with children in 1871

Sarah Jones b 1840 Gt Stainton Durham, married Butler's wife
            Lewis T 1867 b Paddington, Middlesex
            Sarah 1869 b Paddington, Middlesex

Living 4 Mary Tce, Twickenham

John probably working at another address

William Phillips baptism at Twickenham is recorded as Private Baptism in Sickness. Possibly not an Army recruit

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 28-11-22, 22:23.

Comment

have you looked at each of the siblings? and checked for witnesses?

I did start looking, was fascinated by Ellen - who is an artificial flower buyer, I assume that is same one
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I have literally just noticed that William's Dad John has Queen's Gardens as his residence at time of marriage whereas Sarah is Great Western Hotel.

2 census records do have Ellen as an artificial florist.

It does seem as though John, like his brother in law seems to have a range of different jobs in every record. Should I now be trying to look at the addresses on the census to see why it states Queen's Garden?

Comment

The Tower of London was also an Army Garrison and in 1891 was home to the Royal Artillery Coastal Brigade, the Leicestershire and Warwickshire Regiments.
                  The William Jones mentioned was with the Warwickshire age 20 and single in 1991.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                    I have literally just noticed that William's Dad John has Queen's Gardens as his residence at time of marriage whereas Sarah is Great Western Hotel.

2 census records do have Ellen as an artificial florist.

It does seem as though John, like his brother in law seems to have a range of different jobs in every record. Should I now be trying to look at the addresses on the census to see why it states Queen's Garden?
                    Queens Gardens is likely to be where John was working at the time. Sarah may have been staying at the Hotel or that is where she was working at the time of her marriage

Vera

Comment

I was wondering what an artificial florist did back then. Thinking possible grand places like hotels, and wondered what they were like.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        The Tower of London was also an Army Garrison and in 1891 was home to the Royal Artillery Coastal Brigade, the Leicestershire and Warwickshire Regiments.
                        The William Jones mentioned was with the Warwickshire age 20 and single in 1991.
                        that's ruled that one out then

A couple of the brothers were together. Assurance agents seems to be a popular career.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I also was thinking Queen's Gardens as in one of Victoria's residences 🤭

I think out of Sarah and her siblings it has to be Sarah that aimed high and I've noticed the boys as the ones with middle names and one family tree seems to have John with a lot of American Half siblings but that may be a mistaken John though.

I've found the hotel, and guess what it's close to? Kensington Palace and Hyde Park. Perhaps Sarah helped Ellen get her job? I now also think that my paranoia is working overtime 🤣

Comment

The Great Western Hotel now a Hilton is attached to Paddington Station. Close to St Mary's Hospital on Praed St with pubs and cafes. Queens Gardens is away from that area but not far, in an area more towards Bayswater. The houses there are built in squares and for the more well to do. I am trying to turn up Queens Gardens on a Census to confirm who lived there.
                            EDIT Clergyman, Barristers, Architects, Rear Admirals. All employing Staff, many with Butlers

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 30-11-22, 00:45.

Comment

I did try the papers in the hope of a report of Jones the butler in Queens gardens but found nothing
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-11-22, 12:57.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                              X