Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Woodruff

Anyone up for some searching?

Did this research a very long time ago, and came to a dead end. been searching for a while this afternoon and not found any more

I have Edward Woodruff b1816 - no idea where, married Mary Neal in Chesterfield Dec 1831. there is a burial of Edward in 1841.

I assume it to be him on 1841 census in Hounds Lane Worcester age 25, with Richard 7 and Mary 3 and Jane Neal 65. He is a hawker. None born in county. (don't know who Jane is as I have parents of Mary as Martha, need to check if she is Martha Jane)

There is a baptism which I think is Richard with parents Edward a potter and Mary 1833 in Bolsover, Derby.

There is a connection of pottery/china along with Richards wife Jane Proctor (Worth)

So that's it for Edward. Can't find out what happened to Mary junior or senior
    Can't find anyone in 1851

I don't have any certs on this lot, although I thought I had something from a connection I made, but can't lay hands on it.

Richard i am pretty good on for this with Ancestry this is him

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...07478079/facts

this chap did a bit of research on the tree, but he never got any further, he was told there were Huguenots involved. They were definitely travelling sales people selling pottery the Proctor/Worths I did find quite a few things on them

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...31367038/facts
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-11-22, 18:26.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Just a small observation for now.... an 1816 birth would make him very young for an 1831 marriage. If the 1841 death is him then he was 29, ie born c1812.

Comment

Some possibilities, with a different spelling...

In 1830 an Edward Woodrough was charged at Marlborough Street, London with obtaining goods on hire and then pawning them. He claimed to have come to London from Brighton to obtain medical advice for his friend, Henry Carter.

On 28 Nov 1813 there was a baptism at Stedham, Sussex of Edward Woodrough s/o William & Ann

There are baptisms in Exeter for children of William & Ann/Hannah Woodrough, and 1821 a baptism of Ann d/o William & Ann Woodrough of Mickley at Holmesfield, Derbyshire

Mickley & Chesterfield are only 7 or 8 miles apart, although there are also some others in Derbyshire with the Woodruff spelling.​

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        Just a small observation for now.... an 1816 birth would make him very young for an 1831 marriage. If the 1841 death is him then he was 29, ie born c1812.
        Thanks Teasie
        yes, silly me. I have so little to go on, the travelling aspect makes it hard to pin down. Son Richard all works and comes back to direct line of husband and fits with family knowledge. ruff spelling has been fairly consistent from there down.

have seen endings of ruffe roufe.

Shall have a look at those records, wonder if pottery in there at all
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

what do you think occupation is on the baptism

Saw man spelt saugh?

found this 1841
          is that Saw man?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Just a thought Carolyn. It is very close to Sheffield and a father further down the baptism records is a cutler. Wondered if it was ?? smith but looking at the 1841 census made me thing along a different path. Is he a saw smith, meaning a saw maker as opposed to a saw user. Sure if they made cultery up there they made bigger items as well.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Sheffield was a centre of saw making.

Comment

GL, every day is a learning day!! To me it seemed to fit but never thought to look it up. He could have been a saw maker then.
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Baptism and census probably same man, no idea if that is my man though.

who knew about a saw smith

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Have been looking Carolyn. Not finding anything yet 're Mary Woodruff nee Neal or dau Mary Woodruff b 1838. There is a birth for a Mary Woodruffe June Q Great Boughton, Cheshire mmm Nell. Not followed that one but possibly not yours.

Looking at Richard many Census give pob Bolsover, Derbys so that bp looks good for f Edward, m Mary

Richard's mc to Elizabeth Green records father Edward a Glass and China Merchant.

Vera

Comment

I fee that the glass and china merchant follows on from the pottery salesman. jane Proctors family

Richard was even on census twice once at his home and once whilst away on a sales visit!

they are definitely hiding
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-11-22, 18:08.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Wonder if this links to Jane Neal 65+/- with Edward Woodruff, Richard and Mary in 1841 Worcester

1815 b 12 May bp 18 May, Matlock, Derbyshire
                        Mary Neal
                        F Samuel, M Jane, Abode Bank

1814 m 21 June, Bolsover, Derbyshire
                        Samuel Nail m Jane Proctor
                        Witnesses am Cou?e, John Haywood

Vera
                        ​​​​​

Comment

The witnesses to Richard's marriage were Elizabeth & Alfred Barnes, who both signed their names (Richard & Jane both made their mark). I wonder if this is them in the 1851 census?

2 Trinity Street, Sheffield - H0107/2339/178/50
                          Alfred Barnes 26 Visitor, Table K[nife] Cutler b Sheffield
                          Elizabeth Barnes 22 wife, b Broomhall?, Derbyshire ( possibly Moorhall, Derbyshire)

It looks like they married in 1849 in Sheffield. Both were able to sign their names, although Elizabeth appears to sign as Browell whereas its been written in the marriage entry as Brownell..

Could be an interesting connection to the 1841 census at Sheffield at post #5?

Comment

ooh thanks ladies, will look into this.

I did notice that an Anne Proctor was a witness to Edwards marriage, and his son Richard marries a Proctor/worth (these are the lot that keep changing surnames back and forth)

I don't currently have an Anne Proctor or Jane Proctor in tree that would be suitable age atm. I can see I have 1841 census missing for Richards Jane missing also.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

someone has posted on a FB group (back in 2019!) that Mary married Henry Harrison and moved to monmouthshire. so will check it out
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Hello, new here, sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but am trying to fine Edward Woodruffs parents & wonder if Carolyn ever found them? I too found him with his children in Worcester & I think his Mother in Law, Jane Neal. There's also a death cert that could be him in 1841. The children seem to vanish after that. Richard appears later with Jarvis Proctor, but no sign of his sister Mary.

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpot View Post
                                  Hello, new here, sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but am trying to fine Edward Woodruffs parents & wonder if Carolyn ever found them? I too found him with his children in Worcester & I think his Mother in Law, Jane Neal. There's also a death cert that could be him in 1841. The children seem to vanish after that. Richard appears later with Jarvis Proctor, but no sign of his sister Mary.
                                  No worries about bringing an old thread up at all flowerpot if you use the @ sign and then cbcarolyn you will tag her and she will get a notification that she needs to look at this thread. hope you have some luck
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thankyou Darksecretz, bit of a technophobe here.
                                    cbcarolyn

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpot View Post
                                      Thankyou Darksecretz, bit of a technophobe here.
                                      cbcarolyn
                                      No, that's quite alright everyday is a schoolday
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

flowerpot never got any further. Didn't get a reply to the post on Facebook either. Lost Mary completely. I have an Edward death on 1841, but no guarantee it's him

I guess I could get death cert - burial is on this day
                                        23 Jun 1841
                                        St Andrew, Worcestershire, England
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X