Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than one child with same name and still living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than one child with same name and still living?

I've been attempting to sort out children for my Graves line.

Francis Graves b.1821 marries Elizabeth Baker b. 1823 in 1844 in Tiverton, Devon.

they have:

1 Mary Jane Graves b. 26 Dec 1844 and bapt. 11 June 1845 @ Uffculme, Devon. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...id=42243142904 0

1861: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...pid=4224314290 40 Source Citation
    Class: RG 9; Piece: 1478; Folio: 39; Page: 22; GSU roll: 542819

1871: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...pid=4224314290 40 Source Citation
    The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 2168; Folio: 29; Page: 5; GSU roll: 832044

2 Mary Jane Graves b.1850 d/o James and Elizabeth Graves [mmn Baker] taken from GRO index.
    1851: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...tid=170389808& pid=422431429040&hid=1011516652372&usePUB=true&_ph src=xxf7042&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&current PageIsStart=&_gl=1*1atrw21*_ga*MTI1ODA1MTU0OS4xNjQ 1ODk5NTA4*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY2Nzc1Mjk3Ny4zMzUuMS4xN jY3NzU1MDcxLjM0LjAuMA.. Source Citation
    Class: HO107; Piece: 1888; Folio: 407; Page: 23; GSU roll: 221038

3 Laura Helena Graves b.1859 d/o James and Elizabeth Graves [MMN Baker] from GRO index.
    1861 & 1871 census the same as Mary Jane Home

I cant see Mary Jane 1 anywhere after 1871 but similarly can't spot anything for Mary Jane 2

can anyone else see anything please?

Thank you.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-11-22, 17:29. Reason: sorting the links out... grrrr
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Bit confused re Home and Forum links, but have had a look at the Devon Baptisms and found Mary Jane, born 26/12/1844, parents Francis and Elizabeth, bap 11/6/1845 in Uffculme and Laura baptised 21 May 1861, parents Francis and Elizabeth also in Uffculme. Father is a Carpenter in both. Looking at the 1851 census you linked to, I read Mary Jane's age as a badly written 4, and it gives her occupation as "Scholar" which is more likely for a 4 year old. Will have a bit more of a look and see if I can find anything else for the 2 girls
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I'm sorry Linda I have no idea what has happened there, I definitely clicked on the census records etc to copy.. will rectify them, two different Mary Janes though?
      Julie

Comment

There was a James and wife Mary Ann Graves also having children about the same time as Francis in Uffculme - Emma 1845. Selina 1847, Elizabeth 1850, Mary 1853 and David 1856. Mary (1853) married William Chamberlain in 1880.

Couldn't find any with parents James and Elizabeth.
        Linda

Comment

s'alright I see what you mean now about the badly recorded age and have rectified it, she was 6 at the time of that census... talk about me getting in a flap!.. this family are a mare!
          Julie

Comment

Francis and his father were Carpenters, as was my x2 great grandfather. Francis is my 1st cousin x4 removed
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-11-22, 18:19.
            Julie

Comment

Of the 4 Graves families having children in Uffculme in that time period, Francis, James and John were Carpenters, while Richard was a Cordwainer.
              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post

Of the 4 Graves families having children in Uffculme in that time period, Francis, James and John were Carpenters, while Richard was a Cordwainer.
                Thank you, John is my x3 grt grandad. I'm struggling to find much on Mary Jane though... just about to have a look for Laura.
                Julie

Comment

hmmmm I have been delving a bit further and have found a will for a James Hook otherwise Graves that could well be my 4x grt grandad, not really sure though as to where/why the Hook comes into play... not unless his mother was a Hook and father Graves?

It's dragged me down another rabbit hole... as I'm looking at the will to see if any names tally up.
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    hmmmm I have been delving a bit further and have found a will for a James Hook otherwise Graves that could well be my 4x grt grandad, not really sure though as to where/why the Hook comes into play... not unless his mother was a Hook and father Graves?

It's dragged me down another rabbit hole... as I'm looking at the will to see if any names tally up.
                    Could have been born to a Miss Hook, who then married a Mr Graves and so took the family surname?? I've got quite a few examples of this in my tree, some compounded by the fact that on marriage, the young men reverted to their birth surname. I've often wondered if this might have been a result of the vicar checking back through the registers for pre 1837 bps, when people had no birth certificate?

With regards to forenames, I have one couple who had a large family and named three of their daughters Ann Eliza, Elizabeth and Eliza, all of whom achieved adulthood. (No points for originality )The father had a brother who also married and lived in the same parish and both couples used the same forenames - so 2 John Cs, or Ann Cs, both born in the same village in roughly the same year, both doing the same job (farm servant.) An absolute nightmare - when it came to marriages it was definitely a case of parish registers to ascertain name of the father in order to sort out the next generation into the relevant families.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-11-22, 10:28.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay, I think that the Hook/Graves are connected, but need to do a bit more digging with it... it does make for a nightmare when they keep reusing the same names though
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X