Death of Jane Pitt 1836

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Jane Pitt 1836

Jane Tanner born in 1768 in Luccombe, Somerset, married Richard Pitt in 1790 in East Anstey, Devon. They had a few children, then in 1804 Richard and 3 of the children emigrated to Australia, leaving behind Jane and the eldest child. All this information is in Richard's biography which is here:

The biography states that Jane died in Tiverton on 18 May 1836 and this date is used widely on many online trees. However I cannot find any burials for a Jane Pitt anywhere for that time frame, and no one seems to have a record attached. The biography was originally printed in 1967, but doesn't mention sources. Can anyone find an appropriate burial?

Additionally, the biography states the eldest child remained with Jane. I have only found the baptisms for the 3 children who went out with Richard. Some trees mention a son Richard born in 1788 (before they were married) and some mention a son John born in 1790. Can anyone find this missing child?

Thanks

Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Is Sampford Arundel anywhere near?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=4896706

edit to add: SA is very near to Taunton/Wellington which in turn is right on the border with the Tiverton district...
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 30-10-22, 17:04.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Wellington Reg Dist covered Sampford Arundel

Julie

Comment

Thank you Julie - I think I had looked at that record before, but had dismissed it because the year was incorrect. However I had only looked at the date at the top of the page which said 1835, and not noticed that it changed to 1836 further down the page. Duh. SA is only 13 miles from Tiverton, so it is possible that the book named Tiverton as it was the closest big place, plus they had all come from Tiverton originally so made sense.

Just the errant child to find now!
        Linda

Comment

Lots of info on Ancestry. Can see Richard in Hobart Town Land Stock record 1819
          with

EDIT see Richard's father was John. A John could have been squeezed in before Salom's birth.

Salom b 1792 Tiverton
          Francis bp 1795 "
          Phillip b 1797 "

One Ancestry record on
          James Pitt
          b 5 July 1808 Mother Jane. No father Transcript
          bp 11 Sep 1808 Tiverton St Peter, Devon. Mother Jane. No father on Transcript

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 31-10-22, 00:12.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Thank you Julie - I think I had looked at that record before, but had dismissed it because the year was incorrect. However I had only looked at the date at the top of the page which said 1835, and not noticed that it changed to 1836 further down the page. Duh. SA is only 13 miles from Tiverton, so it is possible that the book named Tiverton as it was the closest big place, plus they had all come from Tiverton originally so made sense.

Just the errant child to find now!
            In all likelihood the information might not be wrong....it states DIED in tiverton. That can be true and burial elsewhere is not abnormal.

Comment

Have looked for a birth of child Pitt before Salome, after Phillip and for a Tanner child pre 1790 in Devon. No luck. Note, if I have been looking at the correct family, Jane's mother Sarah died 1774 when Jane would have been 6. Father Nicholas' Will mentions his girls when they were single.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for looking Vera. yes you have the correct family, Nicholas was the Vicar for Luccombe, and helpfully mentioned all his children in his will. Unfortunately I have yet to find marriages for some of the daughters - Pitt is a reasonably common name. If she did die in Tiverton and was buried in SA as kylejustin pointed out, I wonder what her connection with SA was, or can you choose to be buried anywhere you want?
                Linda

Comment

If she left instructions then she could be buried anywhere, anyone can specify where to be buried/scattered
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie.
                    Linda

Comment

Thanks Julie.
                      I've been in my tree this morning and a bride of my great grandads brother married a Jane Taylor from S/A too...
                      Julie

Comment

Well if you have more from Devon, keep an eye open for Tanners - there were a lot of them!
                        Linda

Comment

Well if you have more from Devon, keep an eye open for Tanners - there were a lot of them!
                          two sets of x2 great grandparents came from uffculme and settled in Hucknall Torkard...
                          Julie

Comment

There are indeed. Uncle Thomas' Will mentions Nephew Thomas Tanner but can't link him to Jane.

Looked at the marriages. Apart from Jane m to Richard Pitt and Sarah m to John Inman can't get any definites. There is

Mary b 1757 ? m.Walter Fry Nth Petherton
                            Ann ? M John Tanner Luccombe
                            Margaret ? m Francis Pearce Minehead
                            ​​​​​​Elizabeth (Betty) ??
                            Also wife of John W mentioned in Nicholas' Will

Such an interesting family

Vera

Comment

Ooh Vera - I hadn't looked at the will for Thomas Tanner, so tracked it down and one of the many bequests it made was to Elizabeth Hiles, my 5x Great Grandmother. That mean that this Thomas was the brother of Nicholas, so definitely the uncle of Jane Pitt, and seems to confirm that the Margaret married to Francis Pearce is also correct. The Thomas Tanner mentioned in the will is the son of his brother Humphrey (1712-1780), who was also a vicar. Have to go through the will with a fine toothcomb, and try and track down all the people mentioned. However I am away for a few days (leaving at 1am) so won't be around for a bit.

Many thanks for uncovering this will for me.
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X