John Clements MIA 1881 UK Census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Clements MIA 1881 UK Census.

I've been delving into the tree and can't seem to locate John Clements b.1857 Weston Herts in the 1881 census

He married Susan Elizabeth Barnes in 1883 in Royston, Herts she is with her parents in 1881.

I have him in all other census and his death in Hartshill, Warwickshire in 1917.

If anyone can spot him i'd be really grateful. thank you.

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I've had a quick look but found nothing. Looking at the spellings and transcriptions on the previous census he could be called anything!!
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thanks Lin Fisher I'm struggling too.. he has to be around Herts somewhere I guess!
      Julie

Comment

what was his occupation on other censuses, Julie? Parents names?
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-10-22, 12:01.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I can see an Army Record for him on FM P. Attested 33rd Rgt. No 1228. Long career abroad but Home March 1881-1883. Born Weston, Baldock. Father James, Mother Eliza.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            I can see an Army Record for him on FM P. Attested 33rd Rgt. No 1228. Long career abroad but Home March 1881-1883. Born Weston, Baldock. Father James, Mother Eliza.

Vera
            I wonder if “home” simply meant he was living in barracks somewhere rather than with family. He might be on the census as simply Rank, Initial and Surname. Try looking for where his regiment was based in those years.

Comment

Yes. Agree there GL.

38 Brigade 1st Battalion 16th Regiment (Bedfordshire Regiment)- Private no 1228

He was with the 1st Battalion from 1878 - 1883 at home. ie Ireland???

The Bedfordshire Regiment - extract:
              • 1873. Further reforms divide the country into 'Brigade Districts', usually consisting of one or more county, the 16th Foot being allocated the 33rd Brigade District comprised of Bedfordshire. Each district had a permament depot, with the barracks at Kempston being assigned as the Brigade District base. The depots became the base for paired' battalions, with one being held on home service whilst the other was assigned a post on 'foreign service'.
              • 1876. The Regimental Barracks and Depot are completed on the Kempston Road, about 1 mile west of Bedford town centre. The building cost around £50,000 at the time and stood on a 23 acre site, 13 of which were used for encampments, drill and recreation grounds. The main building was formed into three sides of a quadrangle, housing the entire stores, powder magazines, Officers and men's quarters, including some married person's quarters, canteens, Mess Halls and other such areas. The 1st battalion remained stationed in Ireland whilst the 2nd battalion were sent to Madras in India.
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-10-22, 14:00.
              Kat

Comment

From Dec 78 to April 1880 2nd Battalion was "home " and 1st Battalion swapped and was out in Natal SA and then Bermuda. Came home in 1880 to Bedford.

1881. The 2nd battalion move to Burma. On 1 July, the Regiment is renamed 'The Bedfordshire Regiment' as a part of the Childers reforms, although the title the 16th Foot is still used for many years afterwards, even during the Great War. Bedford becomes the official centre for the regiment.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-10-22, 14:14.
                Kat

Comment

Oh, the one I was looking for had parents James and Catherine. There is one on 1881 census with wife Hetty and also with her in 1891. Don't know now, probably got it wrong.
                  Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                    Oh, the one I was looking for had parents James and Catherine. There is one on 1881 census with wife Hetty and also with her in 1891. Don't know now, probably got it wrong.
                    Yes Lin. Not sure where the Eliza comes from on Army record. Looks like Catherine is correct. There is also a son Jonah who appears as brother on Army record

Vera

Comment

I looked on 1861 and 1871 census and siblings Fanny, Noah, Emma, John, James, Mary Ann, Louisa and Catherine. There was an older one on 1861 and thought it was Lydia but wasn't very clear. Not looked at any records for their births.
                      Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        what was his occupation on other censuses, Julie? Parents names?
                        sorry been sorting stuff out...

Johns parents were James and Catherine, James a labourer Catherine a straw plaiter, and John an ag lab on 1871 cens.. I don't have his m/cert so don't know occupation then. in 1911 he was a Quarryman getting stone.
                        Julie

Comment

James & Catherine is right Lin Fisher
                          Julie

Comment

I looked on 1861 and 1871 census and siblings Fanny, Noah, Emma, John, James, Mary Ann, Louisa and Catherine. There was an older one on 1861 and thought it was Lydia but wasn't very clear. Not looked at any records for their births.
                            I think it's Lida, though I'm looking for them in census atm

oops I think it's Lydia..
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-10-22, 16:11.
                            Julie

Comment

it doesn't help that the surname goes from Clements-Clemmons-Clibbons...
                              Julie

Comment

If this is your man Julie, there is an interesting remark in the margin of one of the forms:

25/1/1877 - This man is as deaf as a post but it has been decided by the Home Guard that he is to be retained in the (not sure of last word) Brigade.
                                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Vera
                                  um, but, right father wrong mother.. James and Catherine are Johns parents... he was born in Weston 1857.
                                  Julie

Comment

Yes Lin. Not sure where the Eliza comes from on Army record. Looks like Catherine is correct. There is also a son Jonah who appears as brother on Army record

Vera
                                    oops just re read this.. so seems it is right then, that this IS my John? could the name read Noah? and not Jonah?
                                    Julie

Comment

Vera
                                      Darksecretz

Father - James
                                      Mother -Eliza

I read the brother as Noah.

NOK .jpg
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-10-22, 10:00.
                                      Kat

Comment

I'm not quite sure what to think now!... has he just got his mums name wrong?
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X