No announcement yet.

1921 subscription .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve just had a very interesting email from the Cheshire FHS which says “The 1921 Census is now available to access via the free Library Edition of FindMyPast used onsite at all Cheshire libraries, as well as at the Cheshire Record Office.
    For members that live outside Cheshire this will also be available at any local library that holds a FindMyPast Library subscription​.”

Surely this cannot mean that the whole thing, images and all is now free? If so, what’s the point of an uprated subscription if your library has access in situ and remotely for its members?
    Has anyone else had the email? What exactly can you access for 1921 census using Library Edition with a Cheshire library card?

Access to searching has been available for me online at National Library of Scotland since the 1921 census went live but all I can see is a very basic list of the up to three names. Images cannot be purchased because they can’t come up with a model whereby you pay NLS and the money is forwarded to FMP. Nor can they link you direct into FMP’s own pay page. NLS have what they call a “partnership” with FMP but I have no idea if that’s government speak for Library Edition.

Searching for the specific record set at NLS in my E-resources brings up this

DF83921C-8118-40D0-898E-98ABBBB60471.jpg

However, searching for the same record set at the same URL using Windows 10 on my laptop brings up something much more intriguing. Sadly, as of right now, neither device actually lets me see the images either for free or allows a purchase.

6D0EBD33-5063-40F3-A696-FE7DBF8B1060.jpg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 02-11-22, 23:36.

Comment

For me I cannot access fmp at home only at the library. You could log into your fmp account at the library, unlike ancestry. But you couldn't access it at home even if you had visited in the library, I think.

With BNA once visited on your account you could view anywhere.

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        For me I cannot access fmp at home only at the library. You could log into your fmp account at the library, unlike ancestry. But you couldn't access it at home even if you had visited in the library, I think.

With BNA once visited on your account you could view anywhere.
        I can’t get FMP at all with our library service. They only have ancestry. They did get temporaray access to FMP during the covid closures only because it was free to let remote users in. I had to ask for it though and point out that other library services had it. When remote access ended, they removed FMP and I know for certain they will not take a subscription. The whole service, archives and local history plus lending is nose diving due to a lack of investment. Rumour has it that lending services are on the brink of extinction as management doesn’t see the point and wants to close the lot.

I sent a reply last night to the FHS email asking exactly what can be seen for free on 1921 census using Library Edition. The answer came this morning. Everything can be seen but only in library and archive premises, no remote access.
        I can only assume the info is correct which means FMP have been very naughty asking people to pay an extra levy on their current sub to see the images and also brought in a higher cost tier for new subs that will include the images.
        Why would anyone pay that cost. We don’t need the image permanently - just the information from it. That can now be got free if your library service has a subscription. If an image does prove to be particularly worth having then one can always PAYG and buy through FMP when you get home - assuming of course the PAYG option still exists.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-11-22, 09:00.

Comment

lots of people don't/can't won't visit library, if you work all day, it only gives you weekends. Even more so when a lot of libraries have shorter opening hours. £20 is nothing really if you have to make a special journey, pay to park, go when not convenient to you. You get an instant answer rather than wait a week until you can get to the library. I think you can save it to your device or email it on, I can't remember about FMP, that is certainly the case for Ancestry.

As long as I get a bit of an offer I can see me continuing with subs even though I could go to the library.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've just had an email from West Sussex County Council library service saying the 1921 is available at libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              I've just had an email from West Sussex County Council library service saying the 1921 is available at libraries.
              I had that as well, but my nearest libraries with no toilets are no good to me apart from a quick book change!!

Anyway, I have already downloaded the data for 288 people in my one name study and that is only the ones already in my tree and only one spelling of it so far, so £20 has been money well spent as will the future inclusion in the sub.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

I had that as well, but my nearest libraries with no toilets are no good to me apart from a quick book change!!

Anyway, I have already downloaded the data for 288 people in my one name study and that is only the ones already in my tree and only one spelling of it so far, so £20 has been money well spent as will the future inclusion in the sub.
                I've also paid the extra and downloaded plenty, I had some interesting additional unknown family members to explore which has been a bonus, though one of my great aunts is still missing,

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

I've also paid the extra and downloaded plenty, I had some interesting additional unknown family members to explore which has been a bonus, though one of my great aunts is still missing,
                  I still haven't found my grandfather, his mother, his newish wife and their newborn son, so I suspect they are altogether somewhere, missed off or mis-transcribed. ...... my great-grandfather is listed but on his own - they must have been about to move up to Leeds from Tottenham round about then.

I have sent in loads of (accepted) corrections, so I just hope somebody else will come across them one day and take the trouble to send in the correction
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                  X