Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 42: My ancestor worked as a paper maker or printer

Week 42: Paper worker/printer/typesetter

Did someone in your family tree work as a paper maker? Or did they produce newspapers or other printed material?

This is an opportunity to showcase a worker with paper from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum

[Next week: Baker]​

I worked in printing for about 25 years. Starting with actual printing on a one coloured machine, then went into print finishing which meant checking and keeping in the right order as everything we did was numbered so quite a heavy demanding job. Always loved it but got too heavy for me in the end,

When Dad left school he went to work at a printers in the Lace Market in Nottingham but when the war started he had to leave as there was a paper shortage.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

In the beginning of the 1900s, Chicago was one of the centers of printing. My grandfather worked for several of the color printing companies during his career. During WWII, he worked on the US War Production Board as a "dollar-a-year" man, focusing on paper.

There is a Coverly branch that did book binding, but I'm not laying my hands on that right now.
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-10-22, 16:47.

Comment

Wiliam Henry Campbell Lawrence was a printer/compositor born 6 Sep 1827 in Shoreditch to my 3x great grandparents William Lawrence and his wife Jane (nee Campbell).

William was living in Stepney with his widowed mother and siblings in 1841 and 1851 and thereafter disappears. Until recently my Ancestry tree for him said died after 1851 (people have copied this as died 1851) though I recently found what I believe to be him on a passenger list leaving for Australia in 1852 as William Henry Lawrence age 25 Compositor aboard the Abel Gower contracted to Port Philip, Victoria.

I have not been able to trace him further.

Comment

Working...
        X