No announcement yet.

Gretna green wedding causing issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, done done digging. I now don't think Harriet is a sister.

Family search has following christenings for braiseworth, suffolk:
    Father Robert, mother elizabeth:
    elizabeth 26/5/1800
    Rebecca 20/1/1801
    George 9/6/1805
    Joseph 13/5/1810
    Emily 13/12/1818

Harriet might be a cousin, and Emma is 2yrs old in 1841 in same household so again ive assumed shes harriets but could be Rebecca's daughter. With new eyes I think I'd go for her to be Rebecca's youngest
    Queenbee

Comment

Looking at the marriage it might be that Harriot was a friend and she named her daughter after her?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Well I reckon using the christening records on Ancestry these are the children of Robert Calver and Elizabeth Wilkerson (various spellings of surname) in Braisworth (which is near Eye)

Elizabeth Calver 1800
        Rebecca J Calver 1801
        George Calver 1806–1881
        Joseph Calver 1810
        James Calver 1814
        Emily Calver 1818

George moves to Luton and in 1851 has Maria Gilman with him, that I am assuming is Rebecca's daughter, doesn't say niece though.

there are quite a few George Calvers in Suffolk in 1841, and as the Dob is rounded it is hard to see who the George is that is with Elizabeth, got to be a cousin though surely!

That is as far as I got, not solving finding Elizabeth's husband though so she is in Eye in 1841 and Hammersmith in 1861, there are a few possibles in 1851,.

edit - Sorry I hadn't posted this morning - was still on pc, looks like you have them now
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-10-22, 15:12.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

good find cbcarolyn I've been in and out so much today!
          Julie

Comment

Well, well, well! They must have decided not to “disappoint” old Auntie GL
            The records required are now on site so I will go tomorrow and see if there’s any extra info in the files.

Comment

Do we know when and where Anthony was born?
              Julie

Comment

All I've got is what's on my cert. No age but a residency place of Mary Port.

I think it interesting that Elizabeth is in Scotland in the cencus prior to her marriage. And Anthony is also up that way.
                Queenbee

Comment

I feel sooo frustrated for you that they didn’t follow up the proof trail as they could have done without fear of prosecution. If they had then registered their (perfectly legal in Scots law of the time) irregular marriage with the sheriff of the county, you would have been sitting on a goldmine document.
                  1855 was our first year of civil registration and what they didn’t record on it was probably not worth the knowing LOL

Information Recorded in the Register

​Most records include:
                  • when, where and how married
                  • names of parties
                  • occupation of bride and groom
                  • whether parties were single, widowed or divorced
                  • their ages
                  • addresses of bride and groom
                  • name, surname and occupation of father
                  • name and maiden surname of mother
                  • signature of witnesses
                  • where the marriage was registered and signature of registrar.

In 1855 entries you will also find information about the place and date of birth of both parties; the number of any children by former marriages (whether living or dead); and the number of previous marriages (if any).

Comment

Oh wow! That's an amazing list of information.

my certificate is incredibly boring and only has options for name and residence. Fingers crossed, and lots of luck, there is more waiting for you tomorrow
                    Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post

I think it interesting that Elizabeth is in Scotland in the cencus prior to her marriage. And Anthony is also up that way.
                      I see that Maryport is in Cumbria and that its a Maritime place perhaps he met her in Edinburgh? as that has a port doesn't it? Maryport isn't that far from gretna either by the looks of it. I wonder if Anthony was a mariner? If he was at sea during census he wouldn't be with her would he?

do you have all the children for Elizabeth and Thomas? [sorry going off on a tangent]

Julie

Comment

Do you Elizabeth and Anthony or. Thomas and Rebecca?
                        Queenbee

Comment

what was Elizabeth's place of residency? where in Scotland?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Do you Elizabeth and Anthony or. Thomas and Rebecca?
                            thomas and rebecca sorry got in a muddle! trying to multi task badly!
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

thomas and rebecca sorry got in a muddle! trying to multi task badly!
                              I have 4 children

Elizabeth Emma Gilman 1825–

Maria Gilman 1828–

Sarah Jane Gilman 1832–

Thomas Laydon Gilman 1836–​

this is them in 1841 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...06?pId=9868033

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7572/images/LNDRG11_51_56-0772?pId=13292617
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-10-22, 16:34.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but there’s nothing here that you haven’t got already. I also snapped an image of a copy of the spine of the original book cover so you have the volume number for reference and the full archives catalogue reference sheet. So your specific reference number is GGD561/13.
                                As you can see from that sheet, I did not get my hands on the original volume.

Comment

For some reason the photos have not transferred over from my iPad to my phone yet so I’ll try later to post the images when iCloud has caught up.
                                  In the catalogue record where it says Creator MarionSt you can expand that to Marion Stewart. Marion was a wonderful lady and brilliant, generous colleague. Here’s her obituary.

Comment

CC7168E4-E292-4FBD-8673-56FA15217560.jpg
                                    ICloud now in synch after I connected to my phone’s wifi hotspot.
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-10-22, 10:31.

Comment

B98274EE-531D-4A5E-9F46-040D32357D47.jpg
                                      Original volume spine

Comment

7813A030-D81F-443D-AFCC-0B5E0418A727.jpg
                                        Certificate
                                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-10-22, 10:34.

Comment

Where was Anthony in the 1851 census?

Comment

Working...
                                          X