Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to upload family tree information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to upload family tree information?

I have a document, written in 1911, outlining the family tree on my mother's side, in Canada. Also, my father at one point researched his family tree, and so I have that information too, mostly in the Netherlands and Germany. Neither are official sources like birth certificates.

I have only a passing interest, but it seems there would be other people who are more interested. Is there a place I can upload these, so that interested people can find them? Some public repository of family tree information?

Welcome to FTF.
    If you aren’t already a member of ancestry, you could become a guest member and upload your tree. You do not need a subscription for a guest account. There is a similar facility at MyHeritage and FindMyPast. There are others.
    With ancestry, depending on the content of your tree and any documents, media etc. that you may attach, you should think about whether you want your tree to public or private. With the private setting there are two options. 1. Totally private. 2. Private but searchable which means other members can find matching people but cannot access your tree without you giving permission. This way you can also decide (depending on what they have asked for and who they are) not to give tree access but instead reply through ancestry’s internal messaging system initially. If you then wish to go on and swap email addresses to share more info and documents then at least you know who you are contacting. This is the method I use but you must decide what suits you best. The other two sites I mentioned work much the same but have their differences.
    I would recommend though that you thoroughly read the Ts&Cs with the likes of Wikitree and the familysearch World Tree as you will find that all members of those sites can edit your tree.
    I don’t use them for tree hosting but some folks on here do and have plenty of experience. I’m sure folks will happy to give advice on the positives and negatives thereof.
    If you want to remain offline, consider giving a copy of your tree etc. to a relevant local or national Family History Society.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-09-22, 16:46.

Comment

I would say take photos/scans of it at the very least and put it on a 'cloud' service, then at least you can send link to people if they make contact.

I am not sure whether people can message you without a sub on ancestry. You definitely cannot add images without a sub, just create a tree
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        I am not sure whether people can message you without a sub on ancestry. You definitely cannot add images without a sub, just create a tree
        I didn’t know that, sorry. I have always had a sub so hadn’t twigged all things tree building were not free.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          You definitely cannot add images without a sub, just create a tree
          My Ancestry sub expired yesterday, but I have been able to upload a PDF and a photo today.

Comment

If you don't have a subscription - like the poster Martincmartin - you can add images from your own computer to your free Ancestry Tree and make the tree public so anyone can view it.
            IMO This is probably the best place to upload or create a tree for free.

[For those who had a previous sub and a tree on Ancestry - It is the images that you have downloaded from Ancestry that you will be unable to view without a subscription - anything you have uploaded from other sources you will still be able to view.]
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-09-22, 19:13.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If you don't want to do anything with Ancestry, you could try to give it to:
              * Other descendants of your parents or their siblings
              * Your local genealogy society, especially if your parents were long time members of their community, even better if their parents were also (if you could tell us which area your in, we may be able to find it for you)
              * Your nearest branch of Family Search
              Find a FamilySearch center or affiliate location. Get access to personalized help, technology, and exclusive resources to aid your family history journey.

* Similarly, there may be a one-name search that could be interested. If you're willing to post the surnames involved, we may be able to help you find one.

Please post back with questions or results!
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-09-22, 20:07.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all your answers. The family tree spans West Germany, Netherlands and Canada. None of it is in the USA.

On my father's side, the name Hilgärtner is traced back to West Germany in 1627 or so. I have the tree through to the current day. When the family moved to the Netherlands, the spelling was apparently in flux for many decades, but eventually landed on Hilgerdnaar.

On my mother's side, I have a document from 1911 , "Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Hone's Children," in Canada. One woman marries a Gilmer, so there are a bunch of Gilmer kids too.

I'm happy to spend some time typing this into a website or software, to make it easily searchable by others. However, I don't want to pay an ongoing fee just to host it. I want it findable by the widest possible audience, so it sounds like a free Ancestry account is the best option for me, correct?

2022-09-29 10.40.13.jpg2022-09-29 10.55.31.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by martincmartin View Post
                  The family tree spans West Germany, Netherlands and Canada. None of it is in the USA.
                  Canada has very active genealogy societies.
                  FamilySearch has Family History Centres in many countries.

Yes, Ancestry trees that are public are available for any active Ancestry member to see.

WikiTree.com is free and open to anyone on the internet. FamilySearch is basically that, too (must create free registration).

You could post in several sites.

Thank you for preserving this research!
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-09-22, 16:38.

Comment

I've started entering it into Ancestry.com and it's amazing the records it finds as "hints". So far all have been accurate. It looks like much of this information is already out there, at least the 20th century information, haven't gotten farther back than that.

Comment

Once you have put it in ancestry you can download the gedcom and input to other free places.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                      X