Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 38: My ancestor was a slater

Week 38: Slater

Whether working with Welsh slate, Collyweston slate, or Horsham slate, this is an opportunity to showcase a slater from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum

[Next week: Carter/carman]​

I have a few and will start with the furthest back.

Thomas Lowe born 4 November 1850 to John and Sarah was my 2 x G Grandfather. In 1871 he was in Riddings Derbys as an apprentice slater to Thomas Stimpson. He married Emma Matilda Harrison on 12 January 1874 at All Saints Nottingham. They had 6 children His youngest son died in WW1.
    By 1880 he had the vote and could have been earlier but couldn't find any other records.
    My Grandma and Grandad ( Thomas' Grandson) when to live with him in 1922 when they married and their 5 children were born in that house.
    Thomas' wife Emma died on 31 December 1917 and he died 14 Jan 1929. Obit in Newspaper said he died after much suffering.
    My Grandma said they sat with him until midnight towards the end as he was very ill. He was buried with parents and one of his sons. Emma was buried with their son Ernest and his son Samuel.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

From last post. Thomas' sons and nephews seem to be slaters as well. Not sure if they worked for Thomas or just trained with him and found employment elsewhere.

My Grandad Arthur Thomas Lowe, who lived with Thomas, set up his own business in the late 1920's. He was born 22 Aug 1899 to Arthur and Naomi in Nottingham. Married my Grandmother Annie 28 Jan 1922.

He served in the army in WW1 and then became a slater and tiler. I've been told that he would set off early in the morning with his barrow and tools and in summer arrive back very late at night. During WW2 he went into munitions as there wasn't much building work going on. His business eventually included 2 sons and a son in law. He had his house built and a large garage attached even though he never drove. There were always tiles etc in there.

He was ill in late 1960 and the sons carried on the business for a long time. He died in 1978.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

My 4x great grandfather John Close was a Collyweston slater in Collyweston, Northants, he was born in there in 1793, his five sons also worked slate. He died in Stamford Union workhouse and was buried in Collyweston on 6 Jul 1870. I descend from his daughter Caroline who married a sawyer and went to live in Yorkshire.

The Historic England Collyweston Project
        The Collyweston Stone Slaters Trust

Comment

Working...
        X