Just having a grouse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just having a grouse!

I've just received a Tree Hint from Find My Past, everything checked out so I sent a message to the tree owner, but, FMP have told me that they have made it easier to grow my tree by cutting the information and attaching it to my tree! I know that lots of people will do this, but isn't it cheating and wouldn't it be courteous to ask the other person first before you pinch branches of their tree, just taking bits of their tree means that you might miss out on 'meeting' a new cousin.

Grumble over.
    Margaret

So they're basically encouraging the exact behaviour that makes huge numbers of Ancestry trees so bad.

I took my tree off FMP ahead of this happening, as this is exactly what I feared.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
      So they're basically encouraging the exact behaviour that makes huge numbers of Ancestry trees so bad.

I took my tree off FMP ahead of this happening, as this is exactly what I feared.
      Yes, Although mine is 'private' I think that it will come down soon.
      Margaret

Comment

That’s bad.

Comment

So then if you don't want it then what? do you remove it and then they reattach it? can you disable 'hints'? that's a massive presumption that you WANT the hint anyway, especially before researching and deciding IF it's right AND you want it.... That to me is disgraceful and SNEAKY..
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            So then if you don't want it then what? do you remove it and then they reattach it? can you disable 'hints'? that's a massive presumption that you WANT the hint anyway, especially before researching and deciding IF it's right AND you want it.... That to me is disgraceful and SNEAKY..
            As Teasie said they just seem to be promoting large and quite possibly incorrect trees. I didn't attach anything to my tree but I imagine that the owner of my hint wouldn't know anything about me pinching their information. As I said my tree is private and I think that it is correct but I'd rather 'meet' my new cousins and swap information, isn't that part of the interest and purpose of researching family history?
            Margaret

Comment

I use others trees for help and hints and already found documents. Even if my tree was online I would not let the computer cut and paste a twig/branch/tree into mine. What I do is verify the information, write it down and then enter it into my tree. This way I learn so much more about each person in my tree...... ooo same birthdate as my sibling or waitaminute there is something wrong... she is too young to have that child. those sorts of things. In all likelihood the computer could be cutting and pasting a wrong tree that had been cut and pasted a number of times. I do contact the tree owner if they have loads of useful information to say thanks.
              Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Working...
              X