Help, please, I’ve lost my notes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, please, I’ve lost my notes!

Fred Claxton b Bridlington 1864 – both birth registration and bp register record him as FRED, rather than Frederick or Alfred. He began his working life as an ag lab and in 1881 he was in East Yorkshire employed as an indoor farm servant at Wharram Percy farm.
    I haven’t spotted him in 1891 – suspect mis-spelling or mis-transcription of his surname. (Searching with Bridlington as place of birth doesn’t give any clues, but Fred spoke the local dialect; Brid was known as Burlington (or Bollitun to natives!) and in 1881 he was recorded as born Barlington.)
    He married in 1896 and in 1901 his wife and daughter were visiting a relative, so away from home. I’m pretty sure Fred was in South Africa when census was taken. I think he went as a civilian and may have had something to do with either building or guarding a railway line. I have a clipping from a newspaper stating that the town council paid for a life insurance policy for him, but maddeningly, I can’t find the rest of my notes for this episode in his life – neither on the computer, nor in my paper files. Nor can I re-find the documents or source materials I must have used.
    Please can anyone find anything about Fred’s spell in S Africa during the Boer War? (Fred’s younger brother, Samuel Best Claxton, served in the army for 18 years from 1886 and was in the military mounted police in South Africa during the Boer war.) I know about Fred once he was back in England, until his death in 1937 – it’s the “interesting” Boer war bit that’s missing.
    Thanks for reading
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I did have a wander around and found nothing. I wonder where you found it before.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      I did have a wander around and found nothing. I wonder where you found it before.
      Thank you for trying, Carolyn.
      That's the problem - I have absolutely NO idea where I stumbled across the info! I suspect something cropped up during a random google, I then jotted it down on a bit of paper and that has long since GONE

I now have another problem having revisited Fred - !911 census looks as if it may have been amended by the enumerator. It actually records three children from the marriage, two of whom died - I think originally it said two. They had a daughter, who married and produced grandchildren, and I've found the birth reg for a son, whose death was registered in the same quarter. Can't find anything for a third child, not even a "male" or "female." Perhaps there was a stillbirth, or an earlier child prior to the marriage, or a result of a previous relationship??? Doesn't matter a fig, but trying to find out all these little mysteries is part of the "fun."
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-08-22, 08:55.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The article I think you're referring to is this one, in the Hull Daily Mail 27 February 1900:

The Bridlington Town Council will recommend tonight to insure the life of one of the workmen on the highways for £200, the man having had to rejoin his regiment in South Africa.

Comment

The only other things I can find are mentions of an F Claxton of Bridlington being a member of the Fire Brigade and receiving a 10-year service award in 1909.

Possibly a typo (or maybe not?), but on 28 February 1900 - the day after the 'insurance' article - there is mention of P.C. Saxton of the Hull fire brigade serving in South Africa & being promoted.

Comment

A man named F Claxton did serve in South Africa at that time, but he was from South Pickerham, Norfolk. Service No. 4887

Comment

Now I'm confused!

Hull Daily Mail 1 March 1900

Patriotism was expressed in the action of the Corporation, which decided that the life of Fred Claxton, a highway workman, who had been called to the front, should be insured for £200, and the policy presented to his wife.

So why can't I find a South Africa medal for him? Off to search again......

Comment

Found two more men named F Claxton in the South Africa medals, but these don't look right either:

21338 – Royal Engineers = Frank Claxton born Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex

2165 - 2nd K O Yorkshire Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. According to other records was born 1856, enlisted 17 Nov 1885 & sent to India with the South Yorkshire Regiment in 1887. Can't see a service record for him though, and the next thing found is the South Africa medal. Invalided to England 9 Mar 1901.
                Last edited by teasie; 28-08-22, 16:19.

Comment

Blimey- looks like that last man (2165) IS him!!!

There are pension records for him on Fold3 as Frederick Claxton, and one of them has notes from 1937 which mention his widow - Mrs M Claxton, 2 High Green, Bridlington.

I see he married Martha Ezard (as Frederick Claxton) in 1896, and that she is at the above address in 1939.
                  Last edited by teasie; 28-08-22, 17:08.

Comment

Remove if not allowed....

Claxton, Frederick (2165).jpg

Comment

Thank you Teasie - you HAVE been busy on my account.
                      I haven't seen the pension record before and I've never used Fold 3.
                      I noticed the newspaper said Fred had been recalled and wondered if that could explain why he was missing in 1891??

At least I know I'm not going crazy and that I haven't dreamed the whole thing up! I did know that he was in the fire brigade from its inception; also that he appears to have liked a drink or two and had a couple of brushes with the law as a consequence. Hadn't realised that he'd been invalided out of service - that could well have impacted on another change of work post 1901.
                      You've given me a lot of fresh pointers to work from and I'm extremely grateful for your input.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

good work Teasie, I saw the 2 F Claxton's on FMP but had dismissed as was looking for a civilian doh!

I see that the record has had "erick" added! he must have liked the long name.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          I noticed the newspaper said Fred had been recalled and wondered if that could explain why he was missing in 1891??
                          I wondered about the 1891 too, especially since the other military record I mentioned has him embarking for India on the 8 Feb 1887 aboard the Euphrates.

According to the newspapers the Euphrates left Portsmouth for Bombay on 9th Feb 1887 with "Indian reliefs" and was to embark 950 men of the 2nd Battalion South Yorkshire Regiment at Malta.

Not connected directly to the above, but there are gripes about the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry being (wrongly) referred to as the South Yorkshire Regiment.

Thinking specifically about the 1891 census though, there are newspaper reports in April 1891 mentioning "the 2nd Battalion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, now or recently stationed Quetta"

Not sure how or when Fred came home though, as the papers suggest the Battalion was still out there until 1899.

Comment

Interesting that Fred enlisted in Nov 1885. His younger brother joined up with the 8th Hussars in Jan 1886. In 1884 Fred had been in court on 2/3 occasions for being drunk and engaging in bad behaviour. Fred's mother was widowed in 1866 and left with six children to rear - eighteen months later she had her seventh child, Samuel. No permanent adult male to keep the boys in order, perhaps.
                            Fred must have been back in time to court and marry Martha (New Year's Eve 1896.)

I thought the KOYLIs used to be garrisoned at Catterick in the North Riding, but there has been much reorganisation/amalgamation since my schooldays, when we had a housemate whose father was with the regiment.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet, One of my G Grandfathers children was in and out of trouble and in 1904 I have found him in the workhouse. By 1911 he is in the KOYLI, probably just a coincidence but I thought he probably had to go into the army because he was in the workhouse and by 1908 both his parents had died. Never followed up his early life though. Yours sounds a very similar case.
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for adding Lin.
                                When I was younger, old men used to comment on local tearaways and say what they needed was a spell in the army - that would sort them out!! Sounds like my Fred and your family member would have been candidates for similar comments
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire Fold3 used to be included in Ancestrys military section but now they figured that they can get more money out of you by splitting it and making you have another sub..... they have enough out of me as it is.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    Janet in Yorkshire Fold3 used to be included in Ancestrys military section but now they figured that they can get more money out of you by splitting it and making you have another sub..... they have enough out of me as it is.
                                    did it? I thought they were records that they had bought and kept them seperately?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

did it? I thought they were records that they had bought and kept them seperately?
                                      um I think so.. or maybe just that the military side of ancestry has migrated to fold3? anyhow I used to be able to see them with my sub, but not anymore.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

um I think so.. or maybe just that the military side of ancestry has migrated to fold3? anyhow I used to be able to see them with my sub, but not anymore.
                                        In the 12 years or so I've had an Ancestry sub, Fold3 has never been included. Basic transcripts yes, but not images.

I took out a separate sub this year as I wanted to look at something specific, but I do find it very annoying that they charge extra.

EDIT: There are/used to be (not sure) one or two things you can see for free, but not much!
                                        Last edited by teasie; 30-08-22, 10:36.

Comment

Working...
                                        X