No announcement yet.

Help, please, I’ve lost my notes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you ladies. Decided as I'm at the "writing up" stage of many individuals, it is probably better to continue what I'm doing and to make a list of Queries (and to keep that in a SAFE place) and to then take out a one month sub and blitz ALL military personnel on all my research projects. I think my Claxton family alone will keep me VERY busy for some time - they were very prolific, repeatedly used the same forenames in each family and nearly all worked on farms for most of their lives, in and out of the same few villages.
    Had to laugh the other week - discovered my friend had known one of the Claxton gang when she was growing up, but referred to him as Bob. I had records for 3 boys - G, Harry and M, but no Bob. She mentioned Bob's wife and I said that I recognised her name, but she had definitely married Harry! Friend's friend was going to a function where Mrs Bob would be, so friend asked her to inquire WHY Harry was always known as Bob. Mrs Bob was delighted that someone was doing the family tree and also pleased to be of help. Apparently when Harry was a baby, his Mum had entered him in the bonniest baby competition at the village show; the judge presented Harry with first prize and said he was a right little Bobby dazzler. He was then referred to as Bobby Dazzler, which morphed into Bob! I was so pleased to have been able to solve that little mystery and what a gem to put in my write up to relieve the monotony of BMDs and census reports, which is all I've got for hard working, law abiding and clean living personnel on most of my lines!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      it is probably better to continue what I'm doing and to make a list of Queries (and to keep that in a SAFE place) and to then take out a one month sub and blitz ALL military personnel on all my research projects.
      They often do a few 'free' days around 11th November, so you could make a start on at least some of them then if you wanted.

I find that most of the UK records are already available via other subscriptions (FmP for the pre-WW1 stuff), with the exception of these pensions cards and also court martial records.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

In the 12 years or so I've had an Ancestry sub, Fold3 has never been included. Basic transcripts yes, but not images.

I took out a separate sub this year as I wanted to look at something specific, but I do find it very annoying that they charge extra.

EDIT: There are/used to be (not sure) one or two things you can see for free, but not much!
        it must have been that the military side of Ancestry has now gone to fold3 then... I used to be able to see soldiers attestation records, but can't now so maybe that's why.... ahh well it's by the by now.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
        X