No announcement yet.

Help finding Italian ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think your best bet is to go to the parish records on the french department archives websites. It means finding the town or city in the lists, looking at surviving years then clicking on the years you need and viewing each image page by page. It is hard work, but it is also the only way you will find any information.

france is divided into departements, the equivalent of a state or county. They were broken down from much larger counties during the french revolution. Wikipedia will tell you which departement the town or city is in, and you mentioned the daughters were born in two separate towns and their mother died in lorient.

i have ancestors from lorient, which is in the morbihan departement. From memory there is an index to the parish registers, which you might use to find the mother's burial. That may tell you where she or the family had lived prior.

it is also a good idea to look through the indexes for any children and the marriage.
    also look through the parishes for the two towns you said the daughters were from at their marriage.

finding any of this information may help you clarify whether the father is actually from naples or not. And likely baptisms of children or wittnesses to marriages will have family members. Their names may be the key to finding records.

but you won't know unless you actually do the research. As i said, most french departements have the parish registers free to view online, but they are not searchable by indexes, such as ancesty/geneanet etc.

my family is from mauritius, and there are many trees out there with misinformation about where people have come from. and it's nearly impossible to know where the info came from as it doesn't come from parish registers in mauritius. Everyone believes one of my ancestors came from vannes in morbihan and knows his parents names. He is known to have married twice in quimper, in finistere. And had several children in and around quimper. Neither marriage states his parents, age or where he is from. Neither does the third marriage in mauritius. Turns out he came from burgundy. This information is found on a disc which lists employment contracts of the french east india company. It lists where he came from and what his parents names are. I still have no idea how anyone knew his parents names but didn't know where they were from.

i also have another ancestor whom everyone knew parents names and believed was from bretagne. He married originally in bretagne, but no one had the record. His second marriage in mauritius only mentioned he was from lorient and his wife's name. His burial didn't record any personal information either. Knowing he was from lorient, i looked through the registers and found his brother. Eventually i found the first marriage under a french phonetically similar name. In english it doesn't alike at all. Both he and his brother's marriages confirmed they were actually from caen in normandy. The two parishes they gave for their origins only have surviving records from 1730's, so everything was lost....until i researched their uncle who wittnessed their marriages. I found his own marriage in lorient and that stated he was from a village near caen. This allowed me to find his parents marriage and his siblings, including my ancestor, his sister's baptism.

hopefully by doing the reseach yourself, you will have a similar success story. Googling and relying on ancestry will get you nowhere. It's hard work but it is free.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post

.... I searched on Ancestry and FamilySearch but still came up with nothing on records for Antoine or his family.
      But did you look in FamilyTREE on familysearch? His page on FamilyTree has some interesting details
      https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...ories/LZ6X-G95
      https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...orate/LZ6X-G95
      https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...urces/LZ6X-G95

And his page on WikiTree
      Is this your ancestor? Compare DNA and explore genealogy for Antoine Clermont born 1690 Naples, Napoli, Campania, Italy died 1765 Louisiana, New Spain including father + descendants + DNA connections + more in the free family tree community.

Apologies if you already knew about these. Also, both sites present interesting collaboration opportunities.
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-09-22, 02:01.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        I still think your best bet is to go to the parish records on the french department archives websites. It means finding the town or city in the lists, looking at surviving years then clicking on the years you need and viewing each image page by page. It is hard work, but it is also the only way you will find any information.

france is divided into departements, the equivalent of a state or county. They were broken down from much larger counties during the french revolution. Wikipedia will tell you which departement the town or city is in, and you mentioned the daughters were born in two separate towns and their mother died in lorient.

i have ancestors from lorient, which is in the morbihan departement. From memory there is an index to the parish registers, which you might use to find the mother's burial. That may tell you where she or the family had lived prior.

it is also a good idea to look through the indexes for any children and the marriage.
        also look through the parishes for the two towns you said the daughters were from at their marriage.

finding any of this information may help you clarify whether the father is actually from naples or not. And likely baptisms of children or wittnesses to marriages will have family members. Their names may be the key to finding records.

but you won't know unless you actually do the research. As i said, most french departements have the parish registers free to view online, but they are not searchable by indexes, such as ancesty/geneanet etc.

my family is from mauritius, and there are many trees out there with misinformation about where people have come from. and it's nearly impossible to know where the info came from as it doesn't come from parish registers in mauritius. Everyone believes one of my ancestors came from vannes in morbihan and knows his parents names. He is known to have married twice in quimper, in finistere. And had several children in and around quimper. Neither marriage states his parents, age or where he is from. Neither does the third marriage in mauritius. Turns out he came from burgundy. This information is found on a disc which lists employment contracts of the french east india company. It lists where he came from and what his parents names are. I still have no idea how anyone knew his parents names but didn't know where they were from.

i also have another ancestor whom everyone knew parents names and believed was from bretagne. He married originally in bretagne, but no one had the record. His second marriage in mauritius only mentioned he was from lorient and his wife's name. His burial didn't record any personal information either. Knowing he was from lorient, i looked through the registers and found his brother. Eventually i found the first marriage under a french phonetically similar name. In english it doesn't alike at all. Both he and his brother's marriages confirmed they were actually from caen in normandy. The two parishes they gave for their origins only have surviving records from 1730's, so everything was lost....until i researched their uncle who wittnessed their marriages. I found his own marriage in lorient and that stated he was from a village near caen. This allowed me to find his parents marriage and his siblings, including my ancestor, his sister's baptism.

hopefully by doing the reseach yourself, you will have a similar success story. Googling and relying on ancestry will get you nowhere. It's hard work but it is free.
        Thank you for all of these suggestions! I'll try and look into this, maybe something will come up. I think the farther back in the family tree, there's just a lot less research done on this family. Hopefully something will turn up - thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

But did you look in FamilyTREE on familysearch? His page on FamilyTree has some interesting details
          https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...ories/LZ6X-G95
          https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...orate/LZ6X-G95
          https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...urces/LZ6X-G95

And his page on WikiTree
          Is this your ancestor? Compare DNA and explore genealogy for Antoine Clermont born 1690 Naples, Napoli, Campania, Italy died 1765 Louisiana, New Spain including father + descendants + DNA connections + more in the free family tree community.

Apologies if you already knew about these. Also, both sites present interesting collaboration opportunities.
          Thank you for suggesting this! I actually had found that family tree before but it didn't go back farther than Antoine and his wife sadly. I've found a wealth of info on his daughter's husbands and their families but I'm just at a dead-end somehow for Antoine. Unless of course I'm able to uncover more documents of him being in France or Italy even.

Comment

So, from the book George Damon Tessier of Natchitoches, Louisiana : his forebears and descendants​, there is a reference to the professional genealogist and author, Elizabeth Shown Mills. Have you looked at any of her books? Apparently she has researched this area extensively. She's also written at least three books that would pertain to your research, two transcribing old parish records, one related tales from old Natchitoches.

Her bio from Amazon, and the list of books that she's written
            http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Show...3105690&sr=8-1

The G Damon book doesn't look closely at the Clermont ancestry, but does reference Mills' work. I think if Mills had found the Clermont connection on the other side of the ocean, it may have been mentioned. And if a professional working in the geographic area didn't find it...

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...8-50,910010-50

But I think Amazon may sell some of those books. If they don't answer your question, you might try writing her and see if she has any hope of finding connections back to the old world.

Oh, and, her page on FS's wiki, with website links
            Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS, FUGA, has been recognized as "the genealogist who has had the greatest impact on American genealogy in the post-Roots era." Among her many notable accomplishments, she was editor of the National Genealogical Society Quarterly for 16 years.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-09-22, 03:08.

Comment

There is a story repeated in the Tessier book (quoting a Mills book) - repeating a story from a descendant about her ancestor:
              She came from France with her father and two sisters. Her mother had died and was buried at sea. The three little girls were placed in Ursuline Convent in New Orleans. ...The mother and father were born in Rouge-en-Berri' France. They were christened and married in the same church.
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-09-22, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                So, from the book George Damon Tessier of Natchitoches, Louisiana : his forebears and descendants​, there is a reference to the professional genealogist and author, Elizabeth Shown Mills. Have you looked at any of her books? Apparently she has researched this area extensively. She's also written at least three books that would pertain to your research, two transcribing old parish records, one related tales from old Natchitoches.

Her bio from Amazon, and the list of books that she's written
                http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Show...3105690&sr=8-1

The G Damon book doesn't look closely at the Clermont ancestry, but does reference Mills' work. I think if Mills had found the Clermont connection on the other side of the ocean, it may have been mentioned. And if a professional working in the geographic area didn't find it...

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...8-50,910010-50

But I think Amazon may sell some of those books. If they don't answer your question, you might try writing her and see if she has any hope of finding connections back to the old world.

Oh, and, her page on FS's wiki, with website links
                https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki...th_Shown_Mills
                Wow, you found a ton of information!! Thank you for finding this, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to research all of this for me. I'd love to know more about the Clermonts if you found something. I'll go reply to the other forum now! Thank you again and my apologies for my late reply!

Comment

Working...
                X