Sarah Jane Phillips, birth confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Jane Phillips, birth confirmation

Hi guys, is there anyone who may be able to help solve a puzzle. Years ago I found a Sarah Jane Phillips on the 1881 census of a 2x Great Granduncle and it stated that she was his daughter, born in 1871 in America.

William, her father married her mother, Rose Tebbs in 1869 Stockton-on-Tees and neither can I find an 1871 census or travel records. Is there a way to solve this at all as the newest hint in William's hints is for the Civil War Pension with Rosanna as his wife and Rose Tebbs is also known as Rosanna on a few records and yet they had their next child back in Stockton, 1877.

Her other records indicate:
    1891-USA birth 1901- Rochester, Suffolk, England
    1911- United States
    1921- Looks like United States from the preview
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I'm not sure the 'hint' is the same man. Its a claim for a widow's pension, and looks like it was made in 1879, whereas your William was back in Stockton by then. I'm no expert on those cards though....

If its of any use, I think the man in the index card on Ancestry was in I (capital i) Company, the 1st Michigan Light Artillery..

Comment

Yeah I think it's most definitely a similar name and not the actual man. I did get told once that William and his brother Thomas went over to America for work before coming back and yet Thomas is in Stockton and London for every record I have.

Comment

I don't know where your man was in records prior to 1869, but US CivWar ended in 1865, so he had to have been in the US during or prior to 1865 to be a CivWar vet.

And, the US census would have been done about April 1870, so if they arrived in the US after the census, and left before 1880, then he probably wasn't in a US federal census (a state census is possible)

Do you know what type of work he did? Any idea where he went in the US?

Comment

Looking at the 1901 census (as Sarah J Allen) her PoB was originally written as Suffolk, Rochester Monroe, and then Suffolk & Monroe have been crossed out and the county changed to Kent.

There is a Rochester in Monroe County, New York, so that's possibly a clue to where Sarah Jane may have been born.

Unfortunately birth registrations did not begin in Monroe County until 1880

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            I don't know where your man was in records prior to 1869, but US CivWar ended in 1865, so he had to have been in the US during or prior to 1865 to be a CivWar vet.

And, the US census would have been done about April 1870, so if they arrived in the US after the census, and left before 1880, then he probably wasn't in a US federal census (a state census is possible)

Do you know what type of work he did? Any idea where he went in the US?
            William was a House Joiner in most census records but the 1911 does have it as Carpenter and I only have the census to go on with what it says for Sarah's birth locations. It is really frustrating because other hints seem to have a William Phillips in the same location that Teasie has found but they are after 1880 when he's in Stockton-on-Tees so I'm wondering if that's for a different branch of the tree with the same name and birth year but different location etc

Comment

A Wm Phillips aged 22, joiner born Great Stainton (transcribed as Great Staimton) arrived at New York on 25 Aug 1869 aboard the Cultivator (transcribed on Ancestry as Cuttivator). These details exactly match 'your' William Phillips. Intended residence was New York.

A Rose Phillips aged 24 arrived in New York on 14 July 1870. Its possible this could be William’s wife arriving separately, which often happened.

Comment

A possible for William in 1872 - 2nd column just above 'Phillips & Campbell" in heavy print - Phillips William, Carpenter, h. Tyler n. Scio

The entry is in the Rochester directory, but I read it as meaning his house was in Tyler (Street), Scio, which seems to be in Allegany County, New York

He's also there in 1871 but without the occupation and no mention of Scio (just Tyler), but with the addition of Meeker & Phillips.

By 1874 his entry (Rochester directory) reads: Phillips Wm, Carpenter, h Goodman n Bay, which I take to mean his house was in Goodman (Street), New York Bay.

I can't see an entry for him after that, although there are some entries for a William Phillips, Carpenter elsewhere in New York.

Comment

Well, it's not like it's a unique name, but it is interesting to note that there is a Phillips family in Scio in the 1870 family, but born in New York. Could they be cousins? Scio in the 2010 census has fewer than 2000 people in it.

Comment

I'm afraid I wasn't able to look at the link without paying for a different subscription but William was most definitely born in Great Stainton, he was 1 of 4. Sarah married a man named John Methuselah Jones in London and one of her son's emigrated to Canada but died in Florida.

The next one Thomas may have gone over to America according to something I was told but I haven't been able to prove it yet.

Robert who is my 2x Great Grandfather lived in London as a Policeman for one Census before coming back to Stockton and never went to America, his daughter emigrated to Australia though.

A different Robert Phillips, 3rd Cousin 4x removed seemed to have done a similar thing of getting married and then having 2 children in Pennsylvania before coming back and that was the late 1800s but they didn't have contact with our Phillips branch and yet kept all the same names which makes it awkward for researching them.

Comment

Well at least you know for certain that your William Phillips went to the US at the right time for Sarah Jane to be born there - the inclusion of his occupation and 'Great Stainton' thankfully removes any doubt. Its just very frustrating not to be able to find him in the 1870 census

Comment

was Thomas a Carpenter also?

what details do you have on him? who did he marry

There is this one travelling to USA with wife Mary

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...d=&usePUB= true&usePUBJs=true&pId=7160293
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          was Thomas a Carpenter also?

what details do you have on him? who did he marry

There is this one travelling to USA with wife Mary

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...d=&usePUB= true&usePUBJs=true&pId=7160293
                          Thomas was born in 1841, Great Stainton and married Emma Park in 1865 with 4 children born and then married Mary Ann Simpson in 1871 the same year that Emma died and had another 2 children to her. Thomas worked for the Railway because he stole a watch and transferred to the shipyards after that.

Now that you've mentioned Thomas I think I need to fine-tune the second marriage because it's the same month as Emma died when they were in London. I think the confusion on America may indeed be confusion and it's London with Robert. They are both in Paddington as Police Constables with their families, although how that could be possible considering the numerous news articles about the watch robbery is a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                            Well at least you know for certain that your William Phillips went to the US at the right time for Sarah Jane to be born there - the inclusion of his occupation and 'Great Stainton' thankfully removes any doubt. Its just very frustrating not to be able to find him in the 1870 census
                            I thank you for the confirmation of this and taking the time to help with solving this mystery. It feels nice to finally be able to put closure on both Sarah and Williams timeline's

Comment

not much room for Thomas to have gone to USA, with the children born in UK.

Could be worth trying to find cousins and see if any went to USA, a load of mine went to Australia and cousins seem to be popular as well as siblings
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                              X