Forces War records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forces War records

A few months ago I paid what I thought was a one-off monthly payment of £ 8-95 to Forces war records to look at my father's record. Looking at my bank statement a few days ago I find that they have taken £8-95 for a further 3 months. This is a card payment & not a direct debit which I could cancel. I can't find a phone number anywhere on the site but I have sent them an email. If I get no response how can I stop them from taking any more money? Do you think the bank (Santander) could help me? Many thanks

maudarby
    Hi, I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't have an email from them in July to say they were taking this money - I found it when checking my bank account. I went to the site and found my account was set to auto renew ???? Since I hadn't visited the site since 12/4/21 this seemed very odd. I only got an email from them when I changed the auto renew setting.
    I couldn't be bothered to ask for money back so have been using the site - it expires tomorrow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Kathy,
    You have successfully changed your Auto Renew setting and so your Membership will not renew automatically, no further payments will be taken and full account access will expire on 20th August 2022.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 19-08-22, 12:17.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      maudarby
      Hi, I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't have an email from them in July to say they were taking this money - I found it when checking my bank account. I went to the site and found my account was set to auto renew ???? Since I hadn't visited the site since 12/4/21 this seemed very odd. I only got an email from them when I changed the auto renew setting.
      I couldn't be bothered to ask for money back so have been using the site - it expires tomorrow.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dear Kathy,
      You have successfully changed your Auto Renew setting and so your Membership will not renew automatically, no further payments will be taken and full account access will expire on 20th August 2022.
      I’d be double checking later this evening that the auto renew is still switched off and screenshot it just in case.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I have just logged in to my account & this is what I found. It doesn't make sense. Is there a paid membership for the site as well as a subscription or are they both the same?

We do not currently hold any credit or debit card information for your account.

You are currently not a paid member therefore your access is limited.
        Please click here to upgrade now

Comment

Sorry I can’t help further as I have never subscribed to that site but I have had other sites (including the biggies) that have mysteriously reversed my renewal option when I jolly well know it was set to “do not”. That’s why I screen shot ny settings each time I renew something and make a not in my calendar to check the night before it’s due that nothing has changed.

Comment

That's weird. It's just a subscription site like Ancestry etc. You need to write to them with a scan of the payment.

customercare@forces-war-records.co.uk

If they don't respond positively then I would certainly contact my bank.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
              We do not currently hold any credit or debit card information for your account.

You are currently not a paid member therefore your access is limited.
              Please click here to upgrade now
              I'd take a screen shot of this before calling them, too.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. I will wait a few days before contacting the bank to see if I get a reply to my email. It is so frustrating when you can't contact a "real person" but it seems to be the norm these days. I will let you know the outcome.

Comment

you should be able to ask for a chargeback via the bank. Saying that you didn't authorise it. They will normally expect you to have made an attempt to sort it yourself first, which you are doing by email.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Don't bother using Forces War Records . Hope you get your money back
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Genes Reunited regularly changes the setting to Auto Renew, members have to try to remember to check in the month before the due date and change the setting if they do not want to renew.

I've actually stopped bothering because I'm only on the lowest level, and am still getting the much cheaper grandfathered amount instead of the more than double annual membership. I do have to remember to check the credit card information to make sure that is up-to-date.

It must however be extremely annoying for those who are paying the higher levels.
                      Last edited by Sylvia C; 20-08-22, 00:20.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

A few months ago I paid what I thought was a one-off monthly payment of £ 8-95 to Forces war records to look at my father's record. Looking at my bank statement a few days ago I find that they have taken £8-95 for a further 3 months. This is a card payment & not a direct debit which I could cancel. I can't find a phone number anywhere on the site but I have sent them an email. If I get no response how can I stop them from taking any more money? Do you think the bank (Santander) could help me? Many thanks
                        Hi maudarby I have just found this on their site: not that it helps you now but may help members in the future from being caught out

*Memberships auto-renew at the end of your subscription period and your payment method will be debited the then applicable rate. To avoid auto-renewing, cancel at least 2 days before your renewal date by visiting My Account or contacting our customer support team.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just an update as promised. Not having had a reply to my email I phoned the bank yesterday & they have blocked any further payments from Forceswarrecords. They said they may try to take payment under a different name so I will keep my eyes open. The bank can't help with getting a refund that is down to me. Very helpful chap also said to beware of subscription sites that auto-renew. Thanks, to everyone for their comments.

Comment

Just an update as promised. Not having had a reply to my email I phoned the bank yesterday & they have blocked any further payments from Forceswarrecords. They said they may try to take payment under a different name so I will keep my eyes open. The bank can't help with getting a refund that is down to me. Very helpful chap also said to beware of subscription sites that auto-renew. Thanks, to everyone for their comments.
                            That's good to hear, I hope that you manage to get a refund.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

if it was taken by card they can request a chargeback. you probably have to go through a lot of form filling. At the council I used to get people doing it for even small amounts such as 50p parking, was amazed that the bank would entertain it, and that people even went through it!
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                              X