2 marriage entries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 marriage entries?

there are two entries in 1864 for the marriage of nicholas gustave bestel in kensington, london. two separate page numbers. any idea why?

I thought that perhaps it wasn't clear and had been transcribed incorrectly but there are 2 entries on the original record. Both entries have Marie Rosine Delie Hamilton on. Is that who he married?

Just looked on Freebmd at the moment.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

FMP version of the index shows it’s because his middle name had been mis-spelled. One is Gustave and the other Gastave.
      Same on ancestry version of index.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-08-22, 16:31.

Comment

But that still doesn't explain two separate page numbers?

yes lynn, that's his bride. His first cousin too.

Comment

Maybe they went off on honeymoon and didn’t realise there had been a mistake till they received their copy of the certificate?

Comment

That makes sense GL. Never thought of that.

We learn something every day.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

that is a lot of pages, 209 to 245, annoying that register is not there to see, as many of the London ones are.

did check papers for that year just in case it made the news. Is he the same chap that got a knighthood in 1879?
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-08-22, 19:33.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hi carolyn, yes i feel if it was a spelling mistake it would just show as a double entry with same details. Rather than two separate entries.

yes he seems to have been quite the star. Ended up as chief justice of mauritius. His wife was on her third marriage, and she is my 3rd great grandfather's sister. Nicolas was their first cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  Maybe they went off on honeymoon and didn’t realise there had been a mistake till they received their copy of the certificate?
                  I thought that you were given your copy of the marriage certificate in the vestry after signing the Register??

We were leaving for the US 10 days after our wedding, and so the Vicar had my new passport, and we had asked for 2 or 3 extra copies of the certificate .................. he gave us 10 (TEN) copies. He said he had started writing them the previous evening, but left some details to be completed in the vestry!

I think we still have 8 copies in the safe

This was in 1967, in England.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    there are two entries in 1864 for the marriage of nicholas gustave bestel in kensington, london. two separate page numbers. any idea why?
                    Might be worthwhile asking AntonyM kylejustin he'd be the one to ask.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post

I thought that you were given your copy of the marriage certificate in the vestry after signing the Register??
                      Not sure about in England but here in Scotland you have to take the completed, signed marriage schedule to the local registration office (assuming the marriage wasn’t in the registration office) to get the whole thing entered in the register and then the certificate will be produced.
                      1967 that would be done by hand. These days it is computer produced.
                      We married on a Saturday in a hotel and the schedule was handed in to the correct local office by the Registrar on the Monday and the registration date on the certificate shows it was processed later that week and it was there on the hall mat when we returned from honeymoon two weeks after the wedding.
                      Same thing for my first wedding which was in church. That time our best man took the completed schedule to the local registrar. Up here for church and other weddings outwith the registration office, it’s always been considered one of the best man’s duties to ensure the paperwork gets safely to the registrar.

In case anybody is wondering how come the Registrar took the schedule to the office she did (not her usual one) was because she is my good friend and former colleague who is a retired registrar and had special dispensation from Edinburgh to come out of retirement to conduct the ceremony. She no doubt had a grand catch up with former colleagues and visited a cafe there for coffee and cake

Just a thought about the couple in the OP. If they were that well off and in high society, they probably left straight after the wedding for the Grand Tour of Europe and would have been away for a couple of months.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-08-22, 15:23.

Comment

I did wonder if it was something to do with him residing in a commonwealth country - was he at that time?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I've got a couple that have two entries in different quarters as the groom was a serving soldier and it seems he got married without the permission of the army and had to do it all over again 'properly'. These are 1900-1914 period (can't remember the dates offhand.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Just seen that I was asked to comment on this - the two different page numbers mean that there should be two different marriage registrations. A correction or amendment to an entry doesn't create a new entry. Nor does the English system work in the same way as the Scottish one - the register would be completed at the time, during the ceremony, by a registrar (or the vicar in a CofE wedding).

One explanation may be that they married in two ceremonies - one in a register office and one in a church. The marriage acts do allow for a religious ceremony to follow a civil one, but the church ceremony shouldn't be registered (because the couple are already legally married), but it does happen.

As in all this type of mystery, there is no way to know from the index entries alone, you would have to order a certificate from each to see what might have happened.

Not all the London parish registers are available on Ancestry - St Mary Abbotts In Kensington being a notable example ( and both these entries are in the Kensington District.)
                            Last edited by AntonyM; 09-09-22, 10:26.
                            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

So both certs finally arrived (took just over 3 weeks, but were issued day after queen's funeral). Both marriages took place on same day, one in an anglican church (st stephen's paddington) with license by the curate. The other in the catholic church (st mary of the angels) by the catholic priest and the registrar.

Comment

Not that uncommon - but whichever ceremony was second shouldn't really have been registered in the civil system. It may be that neither the vicar or the priest knew about the first ceremony, or possibly they chose to disregard it (as not being "proper" in the eyes of their God !).
                                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  So both certs finally arrived (took just over 3 weeks, but were issued day after queen's funeral). Both marriages took place on same day, one in an anglican church (st stephen's paddington) with license by the curate. The other in the catholic church (st mary of the angels) by the catholic priest and the registrar.
                                  how interesting, were placating both families! I am guessing that each of the churches wouldn't have known about the other, surely they wouldn't have been impressed?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Two different parish records to seek. Don't Catholic marriages record more info? Did the witnesses change between marriages?

Comment

Yes, the wittnesses were different but asides from that all the information was the same. The couple were from mauritius, both catholic of french heritage. Odd they married in an anglican ceremony.

Comment

I know there was a time when all non-Conformists (apart from Jews and Quakers I think) had to marry in the established Church of England. I’m not sure when that restriction ended though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X