No announcement yet.

My brick wall - William Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if the witnesses to Williams m to Mary 19 Oct 1761 holds any clues. ? married name of William's sister Mary. Difficult to read signatures. On FMP.

?? W*might
    Mary Patt*

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post

I think it is Elizabeth Clark, maiden name Chownes.
      it looks like also she was from Knighton.

oops late to the party again...
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-08-22, 07:08.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        Dang it - Robert Chown married Susannah Ross in 1719 in Leicester - presumably her mother's sister.
        I found that just before sleep, how annoying wrong family branch! Thought was onto something!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It doesnt move the query forward, but just thought I'd mention that in 1849 three grandchildren of William Brown (the hairdresser who died in 1799) obtained administration of his estate. Its wrongly indexed on FMP as Mary Brown, spinster so I've submitted a correction.

Comment

Thanks Teasie - as a side quest, I have not yet been able to work out which children these grandchildren come from. Mary could be the daughter of James, born in 1798, but William, a China Merchant in Radford and John, a lace dealer in Nottingham have eluded me. They are not the sons of Thomas Brown, but could be descended from either William b 1762 or John b1782 as both of those seemingly vanished.
            Last edited by ozgirl; 16-08-22, 20:39.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              there is a William baptised on FMP 1739, parents Edward and Anna - but guess you have seen it. nothing to say it could be him, just names and dates.

this was Leicester St Martins https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...BAP%2F00624902
              Following on from this, I have done a bit more digging and come up with the following - some I can see the images on FMP but some I can't

Edward and Anne Brown - all born Leicester St Martins

James b 1727, possible death 1760
              Edward b 1728/29 poss d 1729
              Anne b 1730 d 1733
              Edward b 1732 poss d 1733
              Anne b 1734
              Anthony b 1737 d 1737
              William b 1739
              Mary b 1743 d 1744
              Mary b 1750

Edward and Anne Weston married in 1726 in St Martins. I have a possible death for Edward in 1761 and Anne in 1753. Not sure yet on wills, and it would be interesting if I could find his occupation. so looking at those children apart from Anne, who obviosly could have married, and also possibly died, only William and Mary would still have been alive in 1797 to be mentioned in Anna Kirklands will. Also interesting is the name Anthony in the list of children, because....

I then searched for Edward b. around the early 1700's, who could have had a brother William. In Loughborough (where Anna K lived, and her parents) There were a number of Brown families all having children around that time including

Anthony/Antony Brown (no wife mentioned)

Antony b 1694
              William b 1696
              Antony b1699
              Christopher b 1701
              Edward b1703/04

Antony's profession is a glover. William, father of Anna K was also a glover (and Broker) and one of my William's (hairdresser/barber) sons was a glover. The other Brown fathers in Loughborough at the time were John, a glover; Thomas a glover; Richard a labourer and Henry a barber. So how likely is it that the Browns in Loughborough were one family who passed the trades down.

Linda

Comment

that could fit, I did look for Edward Will on FMP before and didn't find anything.

I do think I may have seen Weston in some will, but that may be made up!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

It doesn't help that not all of the wills are on FMP, and several that are there have been wrongly indexed under the name of the administrator rather than the deceased.

I have a CD of Leicester Wills (bought before any were available online) so if you need any names checking, just let me know.

I don't see anything for Edward 1761, but there is a will for Anne 1753 (1754) and glancing at it very quickly she seems to be the Ann Fossett who married Thomas Brown (widower) in 1728. No children mentioned, and most names are Fossett & Chawnor (?), the latter being her sister Lucy's married surname.

Incidentally, checking the CD brings up an earlier change to the administration of William the hairdresser's will, which you may or may not already know about - in 1838.

Comment

it's also a shame that you can't search on FMP and just look at the Leicester only, they have bothered to add those into the summary, but no search field in the advanced settings. a keyword search is a wild search so brings up leicestershire.

interesting that the CD was indexed correctly, you would have thought FMP would have bought the same data and started with an index!
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                      It doesn't help that not all of the wills are on FMP, and several that are there have been wrongly indexed under the name of the administrator rather than the deceased.

I have a CD of Leicester Wills (bought before any were available online) so if you need any names checking, just let me know.

I don't see anything for Edward 1761, but there is a will for Anne 1753 (1754) and glancing at it very quickly she seems to be the Ann Fossett who married Thomas Brown (widower) in 1728. No children mentioned, and most names are Fossett & Chawnor (?), the latter being her sister Lucy's married surname.

Incidentally, checking the CD brings up an earlier change to the administration of William the hairdresser's will, which you may or may not already know about - in 1838.
                      Thanks for your offer re wills Teasie, and thank you for looking. I had the change of admin in 1838 to Edward, but that was the second one as the original executors declined the role when William 's will was first read, so administration was granted to his son James in 1799 who doesn't appear to have done much with it. When James died in 1838 it passed to Edward, and then a couple of years later, the grandchildren took over. I have no idea how long it actually took to complete everything. or whether anyone would have received any of their bequests before then. 40 years is a long time to wait.
                      Linda

Comment

When William married Mary Percival in 1761 it says he was a Peruke Maker.

I don't believe its the same man, but there was a William Brown, Peruke Maker, who married Jane Norris in Leicester in 1759 (they are also mentioned in the Leicester Archives catalogue).

Do you know if there was a connection between the two men?

Comment

I also found this William Brown, and researched him. He left a will when he died in 1783 leaving everything to his wife Jane. She died shortly after and Administration was then granted to two of Janes sisters. The will used to be on ancestry, but I cannot find it now. It is however on TNA as a free download. so I have saved it now. He mentions a number of siblings, and I went through them all at the time but could find no connection. however with this new theory, it is worth doing it again, just in case.

Managed to find it on ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...turn&pId=80982
                          Last edited by ozgirl; 17-08-22, 20:23.
                          Linda

Comment

Looking for any clues. Looked at possible sibs for Wm Brown b around 1700 who married Mary Ross in Blaby. One possible is Anna Brown bp 1701 Loughborough All Saints. Father Thomas a Glover (on image) on
                            ​​FMP. Can't as yet see any other sibs for Wm and Anna

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 21-08-22, 06:01.

Comment

Working...
                            X