My brick wall - William Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brick wall - William Brown

William was my 4xGGF and I have all the details of his life after his marriage, it is just his parentage I am trying to find. He was born somewhere in Leicestershire (I think) but I don't know when. He married Mary Percival in 1761 in Leicester, and she was born in Barkby in 1739, so I am assuming that William was born no later than 1740ish. He and Mary had 12 children, all born in Leicester, and William's profession was Hairdresser. He died in 1799 in Leicester.

From this there is not much to go on, but when William died he left a fairly comprehensive will, 8 pages long, and in this will he mentions an inheritance he received in 1797 from his cousin Anna Kirkland. Anna was baptised Anna Brown in Mar 1725/26 in Loughborough. Her parents were William Brown and Mary Ross. She married John Kirkland in 1756 in Loughborough. He died in 1771, and Anna died childless in 1797. She left a 7page will. Anna had a brother, Jonathan b 1726 Loughborough, and a sister Mary b 1723/24 Loughborough. I think Mary married a Thomas Farrow, but that is the extent of my knowledge on her siblings.

William Sr was a Glover and Broker and died in 1739 in Loughborough, while his children were still quite young. His will specifies some property in Leicester, but not where.

So that is what I have - William Brown, who has an Uncle William probably from Leicester. The names of William's sons are all basic names so i don't know if they will help to narrow down things. In order they are William, James, Thomas John, John, Edward, Henry, Jonathan, John and Henry. His daughters were both called Elizabeth (one died at 4 months) Elizabeth was his wife's mother's name, so possibly not a clue for Williams mother.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I also have not been able to trace said daughter Elizabeth, born in 1775 - another thread possibly.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

You probably have this but for others. William Brown marries Mary Ross 22 Nov 1719 Blaby Leics. She was resident of Blaby and William of Loughborough.

Just had a look and Blaby is the other side of Leicester from Loughborough
    Last edited by Lin Fisher; 14-08-22, 15:55.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

will have a look later.

Just pondering that he was a hairdresser, I am assuming that the average person wouldn't use a hairdresser, and that he was working on the upper classes. a quick search and it is telling me that it is a very new profession in those times.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think he was also called a barber in a couple of instances.

Re-reading his will. he mentions 2 messuages in Brook Lane in Syston, plus at least one on Gallowtree Gate in Leicester. I will try to go through it again some time, but it is very long-winded! Plus his executors declined to do anything, so his sons stepped in, but they weren't very committed, so it kept being passed on to other members of the family and was still being dealt with in 1840.
        Linda

Comment

Couldn't find William Brown's Will. In Anna Kirklands Will there is a mention of Cousin William Brown relating to ?? Later Ancestry Pge 879 of Will she mentions leaving £100 to Sister of said William Brown, Mary.

Vera

Comment

William Brown's will is on FMP. Thanks for that info Vera - I must have missed it somehow, I think I was reading so many wills at the time I started to go cross-eyed! Time for another look.
            Linda

Comment

there is a William baptised on FMP 1739, parents Edward and Anna - but guess you have seen it. nothing to say it could be him, just names and dates.

this was Leicester St Martins https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...BAP%2F00624902
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

wow Anna's is some will, she does mention many names, but not easy to read!

thought I would add the links here just on case anyone else can spot a few more

Annas
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Williams
                Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

the newspapers are not around for that early either.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I went back through Anna's will, making a note of all the people she mentioned. I then worked out that her brother in law, Thomas Kirkland was this guy:

There are a lot of trees for him on Ancestry, but none have the correct details for brother John - looks like they are all copied from one person. Names of Thomas children, and married names for his daughters and for his sisters all match.

Trying to trace more of the names now, see if any of them are from her side.
                  Last edited by ozgirl; 15-08-22, 17:58.
                  Linda

Comment

I assume you checked all the children for wills? although wrong generation to help find parents . i did start looking at the wills on FMP, but hard to know where to start!
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I have only found wills/admon for 2 of William's children - a will for Edward who died in 1838, leaving everything to his wife Mary (no children). She died in 1853. There was an admon for Henry who died unmarried in the East Indies in 1808. I haven't found any for James, d 1838, Thomas d 1833, or John whose death I have yet to ascertain. I also have yet to trace Elizabeth and if she marries.

I went through most of the wills for anyone named Brown in Leicester between about 1738 to 1860, plus selected ones between 1700 and 1738. I think a few more have come online since then. I think there were a couple for Mary Brown, spinster, after 1800 which might be interesting to reread, although I need to renew my sub to FMP.
                      Linda

Comment

Not helping really, but can see she has a sister in law, Ann Dalby, a sister for Thomas Kirkland, and her husband is Thomas Dalby of Castle Donnington? if I am reading correctly.

Interesting that he was bequeathed Soar Navigation, wonder if it was a 'share'
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-22, 21:30.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

on number 878 - cousin Elizabeth - no idea how she fits in, can't read either surname, her married or maiden name

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 22.34.19.png
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-22, 21:39.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            on number 878 - cousin Elizabeth - no idea how she fits in, can't read either surname, her married or maiden name

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 22.34.19.png
                            I think it is Elizabeth Clark, maiden name Chownes.

Regarding the Soar Navigation, if I read it correctly it is 1/70th of a share. Don't know how much that was worth.

Thanks for your help Carolyn
                            Linda

Comment

Chownes would then be the married name of Williams fathers (who we know is not William) Sister.....I think

I had decided Clarke, Chownes wasn't so sure on
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-22, 22:12.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

there is a marriage for Elizabeth Chowns in 1755 in Knighton to Joseph Bell on FMP if it turns out to be of use can send you the record. age 21

baptism for 1733, father Robert, no Mother mentioned

There is a marriage in Knighton to Thomas Clark to Elizabeth Bell Widow 13 Jul 1773
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-22, 22:39.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Dang it - Robert Chown married Susannah Ross in 1719 in Leicester - presumably her mother's sister.
                                  Linda

Comment

Mary Brown also left a will (1762), but it was an ordinary 'Leicestershire' will, not a PCC.

Mentions her daughter Anna Kirkland wife of John Kirkland of Loughborough, and also her son Jonathan and a late daughter Farrow(?). Amongst other things, Anna gets the house in Leicester left to Mary for life in William's will, for (I think) the sum of £150.

I agree with Clarke for cousin Elizabeth, and there is a burial in 1768 at Knighton for Elizabeth Clark, widow - but it doesn't name her deceased husband or give her age.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                      there is a burial in 1768 at Knighton for Elizabeth Clark, widow - but it doesn't name her deceased husband or give her age.
                                      Nope - can't be the right one if Anna died 1797. Sorry.

Carolyn's looks like a very good spot though (even if it is the 'wrong' side of the family!)
                                      Last edited by teasie; 16-08-22, 00:29. Reason: correction

Comment

The will of Mary Farrow (1761) is no help either - only mentions her brother Jonathan Brown & her sister Anna Kirkland, and a niece Jane Farrow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X