Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 31: My ancestor was a tin worker

Week 31: Tin worker

This is an opportunity to showcase a tin worker from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

[Next week: Shepherd]

My 2x great grandfather John Kershaw (1829-1895) was a tinner in Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire. His father Joseph (1805-1869) was a joiner, ironmonger and tinplate worker.

John was the eldest son but was living with his grandparents John and Grace at the time of the 1841 census as there were already 3 small children at home and a new baby had just arrived, he was still lodging with granny Grace in 1851. His children didn't follow his trade but went into the cotton mills, here they are in 1881

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 23-07-22, 10:01.

Comment

William Mitchell (1780?-1840) was a Tinplate Worker in London/Middlesex. No Freedom nor Apprenticeship records have been found for him, but records of his children's marriages and his widow's DC indicate this was his occupation. His DC has not been located, but his burial record was. It appears he was s/o John Mitchell, also TPW of London/Middlesex.

Comment

Working...
      X