Cornish brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornish brick wall

I haven't been on this site in about 10 years so apologies if I've posted on the wrong thread. But I am well and truly stuck! I have an illegitimate birth in 1859 in Stoke Climstead, Cornwall. Then can't find anything till 1871 census. Any help finding them in 1861 much appreciated.

Is this the right thread???
    Queenbee

Welcome back

Yes, you are in the right place, post what you know and fingers crossed for success.

Comment

Fab - here goes:

John Henry Helson born 5th March 1859 in Stoke Climstead. I have the certificate. Mother is Mary Ann Helson. Her address fir the registration of the birth is Launceston workhouse. Then nothing till 1871 when she, John and a daughter Charlotte are in Tavistock workhouse. Charlotte also remains a mystery.

on John's marriage certificate he gives his father as John Helson (deceased). I have a suspect in mind for this- but as far as I can tell Mary never married but she is using the same surname? I've traced her as a long term workhouse resident, and she died in Tavistock workhouse. John Henry is my husbands direct relation and we would love to know more of his origin story. He ended up marrying and not falling into the same life traps his mother did.

any help on John, John Henry, Mary Ann or Charlotte most appreciated. I do have a little more side info if needed.

much appreciated
      Last edited by queenbee; 19-07-22, 05:33.
      Queenbee

Comment

This is the only thing I can come up with in the vain hope that the enumerator has made a mistake

Mary A Wilson (housekeeper) was also born Stoke Climsland which I am assuming is what you meant but got hit by the predictive text gremlins?

The address according to FMP is Conycoombe but I can’t find it on a map so far. There is Coombe (now a small animal hotel) in the right area given the nearby places of Lower Ford / Ford Lower and Manaton Mill in South Hill area. All pretty close to Stoke Climsland.

John Wilson
        Visitor
        Male
        Stoke Climsland, Cornwall, England
        South Hill
        Cornwall
        England
        Liskeard
        Callington
        View others on page
        John Garrett 46 Head
        Eliza Garrett 7 Daughter
        Mary A Wilson 32 Servant
        John Wilson 2 Visitor
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-22, 23:40.

Comment

is Charlotte the Charlotte Ann Knott Helston B tavistock 1863? or is that another person?

there is a baptism in Calstock John Knott and Mary Ann Elston as parents, transcription only on FMP
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-07-22, 23:17.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This is Charlotte's entry on GRO. No mother's maiden name shown.
            KNOTT, CHARLOTTE ANN KNOTT -
            GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in TAVISTOCK Volume 05B Page 358
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The reason there is no mother's maiden name shown is down to the odd way the GRO index illegitimate births on certificates where the father is named. They only index it under the father's surname, but don't include a mmn as technically she doesn't have one as she's not married to the father.

On FreeBMD Charlotte's birth registration is shown twice, ie under both surnames (children were not given their own surname on a certificate until the 1960s)

KNOTT Charlotte Ann Knott Tavistock 5b 358
              HELSTON Charlotte Ann Knott Tavistock 5b 358

Comment

This is that Charlotte on the 1871 Census, from ancestry

John Knott 56 Married Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock, Cornwall
                John Knott 10 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                Mary Ann Helston 41 Married Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                John Helston 11 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                Charlotte Helston 8 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall

Added to the entries are brackets connecting

a) John Knott 11 and Mary Helston, with notation His Son
                b) John Helston and Charlotte Helston with notation Her Children

I'm not sure what the word is before "in Tavistock Workhouse"

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  is Charlotte the Charlotte Ann Knott Helston B tavistock 1863? or is that another person?

there is a baptism in Calstock John Knott and Mary Ann Elston as parents, transcription only on FMP
                  Yes this is her. The Knott part of her names comes and goes!
                  Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post

John Knott 56 Married Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock, Cornwall
                    John Knott 10 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                    Mary Ann Helston 41 Married Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                    John Helston 11 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall
                    Charlotte Helston 8 Scholar Employed (??) in Tavistock Workhouse Born Calstock Cornwall

Ahh I'd missed the Knott's on this record - probably as it's across 2 pages.

Helson also gets misspelled and mistranscribed as Hilson on future records. I wonder if Helson is actually the misspelling though as there is a village named Helston in Devon. Hmmmm

Any luck with Mary Ann before 1861?
                    Last edited by queenbee; 19-07-22, 08:27.
                    Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post

Yes this is her. The Knott part of her names comes and goes!
                      You already have a number of records for her? can you post which ones you already have.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

queenbee Was the 1861 census I found late last night any good or not?
                        Have you tried workhouse admission / discharge records to see if there’s anything that links Mary Ann to that 1861 address or the family she worked for?

Comment

The only person I can see that fits by name/location is the wrong age:

In 1841 she's at Down Gate, Stoke Climsland with her parents Richard & Jenny and is aged 4

In 1851 she's a servant to the Rattenbury family at Old Mill, Stoke Climsland, aged 15 & born Stoke Climsland

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post

I found this record and failed to see him, but hadn't found Knott by that time - good spot.

a couple of John Knotts (junior) in that area
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Info on Charlotte I've got:

1871 census entry.
                              Baptism in Calstock (transcript) 13/3/1864. Father John knott, mother Mary Ann Elston (Helson/Helston etc not mentioned for Charlotte's name)
                              Bcc - Charlotte Ann knott Helston, born 31/7/1863. Father John knott mother Mary and Helston. In todsworthy Calstock.
                              Last edited by queenbee; 19-07-22, 12:48.
                              Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                Have you tried workhouse admission / discharge records to see if there’s anything that links Mary Ann to that 1861 address or the family she worked for?
                                It looks good, and on a quick look I can't see a John that matches in the 1871 census. But enumerator has definitely written Wilson so no mistranscriptiom.

Apologies for delay, having to do this thread on my phone without research in front of me. Pesky work getting in the way!
                                Queenbee

Comment

GallowayLass do you know if the workhouse records are online? I've tried to search but can only find small snippets. Sadly not local to Cornwall so can't attend the record office
                                  Queenbee

Comment

queenbee Sorry no I don’t as I’m up in Scotland but look at Peter Higginbotham’s workhouses site. If he knows where any records are they are listed.

I was more thinking the enumerator had misheard what the householder may have said rather than ancestry or FMP making a mistranscription

Comment

This is the only thing I can come up with in the vain hope that the enumerator has made a mistake

Mary A Wilson (housekeeper) was also born Stoke Climsland which I am assuming is what you meant but got hit by the predictive text gremlins?

The address according to FMP is Conycoombe but I can’t find it on a map so far. There is Coombe (now a small animal hotel) in the right area given the nearby places of Lower Ford / Ford Lower and Manaton Mill in South Hill area. All pretty close to Stoke Climsland.

John Wilson
                                      Visitor
                                      Male
                                      Stoke Climsland, Cornwall, England
                                      South Hill
                                      Cornwall
                                      England
                                      Liskeard
                                      Callington
                                      View others on page
                                      John Garrett 46 Head
                                      Eliza Garrett 7 Daughter
                                      Mary A Wilson 32 Servant
                                      John Wilson 2 Visitor
                                      certainly looks promising. You can see all of census in one go on links on here https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Stokeclimsland and can search with ctl & F (or similar).

she must be housekeeper elsewhere as lodging with ag labourer
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

there are notes she was at Tavistock workhouse in 1870

and her death in 1885
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X