Theophilus Hicks b 1851 Taunton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theophilus Hicks b 1851 Taunton

Anyone fancy having a look around for this chap. I thought with such a good name I would be able to find him

I can't find him in 1901 or 1911. I have found an Alfred on 1901 with Ellen wife.

My tree is public here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...07477789/facts

At this point I have not even found a marriage for him.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-07-22, 16:50.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

As he is Theophilus a bricklayer married to Ellen from Penzance in 1891 in Putney and in 1901 Alfred is a bricklayer married to Ellen from Penzance in Fulham (nearby) I think Alfred and Theophilus are one and the same.

Comment

I think I must have decided that ages ago and couldn't find any more. There is one in Willesden, might get the 1921 census, shame I missed half price sale! He is with a different set of people though.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

he is with Thomas and Philladelphia on the 1921 census, managed to find it with birth in Taunton
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

There is this but looking at the image the name doesn't even look like Theophilus!

Name: Theodoro Hicks
          Arrival Age: 58
          Birth Date: abt 1852
          Port of Departure: New York, New York, USA
          Arrival Date: 3 Jul 1910
          Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
          Ports of Voyage: New York
          Ship Name: Cedric
          Shipping Line: White Star Dominion Line
          Official Number: 115354
          Search Ship Database: Search for the Cedric in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Looks like it was a popular name!

Probate for a Theophilus Hicks in 1883 in Wales

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

yes, I spotted one in Wales, but think he is different to mine.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

There is an 1911 for Ellen Hicks. Said to be a Widow. A Cook. Born Trewen, Cornwall. One child who died. Living Kilburn. Willesden reg

Vera

Comment

ahh that might be why I can't find him. There must be another Theo in Willesden, or she really isn't a widow and he is on his own too.

The 1921 Philadelphia is Philadelphia Martin (Philledelphia) - too mean to pay for census atm can just find this in a search. And Thomas is Thomas Brockett

think this is them in 1911 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...3?pId=39876630
                  57 Berry Street, Willesden - same as 1921

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...76?pId=7000704

she is a son of a bricklayer, who then changes job to fishmonger.

I also have a Theo death in Willesden - no cert - too mean for that also, unless he gets interesting.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-07-22, 09:26.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Have been looking. Pretending to be a Widow I would say. Theophilus not with parents in 1871 William and Hannah. Sibs are with them. Trying to pin him down for marriage to Ellen and maybe find child born who died.

Vera

Comment

There is an 1921 for Ellen Hicks b Truro. The 1911 unclear could be b Truro.

Vera

Comment

maybe he just didn't like his name! def hiding, I feel his marriage should be around

there is a Henry Hicks here from Taunton, his elder brother is Henry and a lot older.

Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Think the 1919 Willesden death could be Ellen the wife of William Hicks b 1853 Taunton. EDIT forget that. She is in the 1921 with William

There is a Paddington reg death for Ellen Hicks 1929 but age out at 85

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 05-07-22, 01:08.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            maybe he just didn't like his name! def hiding, I feel his marriage should be around

there is a Henry Hicks here from Taunton, his elder brother is Henry and a lot older.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=8977034
                            Missed you there Carolyn. Saw that AB one. Agree. He didn't like Theophilus

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 05-07-22, 01:08.

Comment

and not come across another in his family yet, not a re used name.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Think the 1911 Ellen Hicks, Widow, Cook not yours. Can see her in 1891 with son William and 1901 with Lodger.

So back to Theo and Ellen Hicks possibly together in the Willesden reg area of maybe not

Vera

Comment

I did find a Henry Hicks marriage in Plymouth to an Ellen, but not sure it ties up. I would have thought he would have to put Theo on marriage. Maybe they never actually married.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

The 1873 m of Henry Hicks to Ellen Neville is St Andrews Church, Plymouth. Henry a Shipwright, Henry's father is Henry, RN Pensioner.

Vera

Comment

...not that one then thanks Vera, did start looking and then moved onto papers in the hope of spotting something.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I have just realised that the next door neighbours are also Carpenters born Taunton,

and my whole family moved to London when some were grown up, just Eliza and Theophilus not on 1871

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...28?pId=4616036

and next door is Eliza Smith.....
                                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-07-22, 21:27.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X