Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free access to FindmyPast newspapers this week

Offers like this don’t come along very often! Email from FMP this morning:

We’ve made our newspaper archives free from 30 May-6 June to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. Behind every news story, there’s a family story, including the Queen’s and your own. Read all about them for free.

I’ve just checked and it includes free access to Irish as well as British newspapers.

This takes you straight to the newspaper search page:

Happy hunting!

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Thank you for letting us know, Christine......

I thought I had most stuff on my G Grandfather but I have just found 2 pieces about him in India with his surname being spelt differently and I'm thrilled to bits now !
    Jacky

Comment

Thank you for sharing this!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this

Comment

that's a great offer, I already subscribe, newspapers being added all the time, it's really an amazing project.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Are you allowed to see the actual newspaper clipping or only the little summary. When I click on the view button, up pops a page to sign in.... Maybe the free access is only available to the British.
            Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I already subscribe to FMP but searching the newspapers for one of my principle surnames is difficult because it's also the name of a famous place and over 99% of articles are about the place. The British Newspaper Archive allows "negative" words which might filter out most of these. If anyone subscribes to British Newspaper Archive and is willing to do a search for me please let me know and I will construct suitable search terms.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                Are you allowed to see the actual newspaper clipping or only the little summary. When I click on the view button, up pops a page to sign in.... Maybe the free access is only available to the British.
                Yes, you can view the newspaper page wherever you are.
                However, If you don't already have a registered account with FindMyPast, you will be invited to sign up for one - this is a free and straightforward process, and does not require you to provide more than a name, email address and password.

Christine

Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                  I already subscribe to FMP but searching the newspapers for one of my principle surnames is difficult because it's also the name of a famous place and over 99% of articles are about the place. The British Newspaper Archive allows "negative" words which might filter out most of these. If anyone subscribes to British Newspaper Archive and is willing to do a search for me please let me know and I will construct suitable search terms.
                  You can still use the more sophisticated search facility on BNA without having a sub. If you then find something relevant, (although you will still only be able to see the thumbnail) you can make a note of newspaper, date, page number, etc and then use that info to locate the same page in FMP. I’ve done this successfully in the past to filter out unwanted results. I’ve then used the date and newspaper filters on FMP to home in on the page I want.
                  Still 3 and a bit days to go on the free FMP access so good luck...

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

and also on BNA you can bookmark pages, and return to them, even without a sub. I used to do that and then log in at the library and visit all my bookmarks. Once visited they remain on your account without a sub.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      and also on BNA you can bookmark pages, and return to them, even without a sub. I used to do that and then log in at the library and visit all my bookmarks. Once visited they remain on your account without a sub.
                      That’s a good idea - thanks for the tip.

Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

Thankyou both, I will try that method.
                        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                        X