Rose - men's name in late 1700's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose - men's name in late 1700's?

Hello, I have an Erasmus R C Darville born about 1789, Cuxham, Oxfordshire on a tree I am researching. I am stumped with the use of names!
    On the 1851 census he uses this name but it seems the 1841 census and baptisms of his children and his baptism he uses the name Rose. I have never heard of a male using the name Rose.
    Also he is baptised as Rose Crake - Crake being his mothers MN, yet both parents referred to as Darvill - his father's name.
    Has anyone else come across this before?
    Thanks
    Tessie

Is the baptism along the lines of rose crake, son of john and jane darvill? As this would indicate crake is his middle name.

Comment

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility. I have a good few women of that period and later called Nicolas.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        Is the baptism along the lines of rose crake, son of john and jane darvill? As this would indicate crake is his middle name.
        Yes Kylejustin! So they have used Crake (MMN) as a middle name? No idea where Erasmus comes from though - maybe he decided he didn't like his name?!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          It’s not beyond the realms of possibility. I have a good few women of that period and later called Nicolas.
          GallowayLass - I have a couple of females called Christian - just never would have thought about Rose for a mans name!

Comment

I have some females in the same family called Christian, on some of the records it is Xian. Looks so funny spelt like that.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Erasmus was a Dutch philosopher and theologian of the 1400's.
              I know of several families with Rose as their surname. So, perhaps Rose had been the surname of an earlier member of the extended Darvill family, and was chosen (along with Crake) when naming E R C Darvill??
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I looked on the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills 1830-1850 and there are couple of males with the first name Rose: Sir Rose Price, Rose Fuller Esq. There may be more but you would have to click on each Will to see if they are male or female. There are a several males with Rose as a middle name.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Rose is also a surname so maybe males with the forename Rose were being named after a family surname?
                  Anne

Comment

As I have Darvill/Darvell etc. and more than on Rose line in my tree in that part of the world, I had a look!! But no connections to mine that I can see.

I did spot though that on the same page as Rose Crake Darville's baptism, there is another Rose Crake - son of John and Mary Saunders in 1792.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...41?pId=1901722
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      As I have Darvill/Darvell etc. and more than on Rose line in my tree in that part of the world, I had a look!! But no connections to mine that I can see.

I did spot though that on the same page as Rose Crake Darville's baptism, there is another Rose Crake - son of John and Mary Saunders in 1792.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...41?pId=1901722
                      Oh how interesting!

Comment

Working...
                      X