Where is Harriett after 1851?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Harriett after 1851?

Harriett was born 1839 Leicester - daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Lacey.
    In 1841 she's living in Leicester with her parents and siblings. Thomas's occ: stocking maker.

In 1851 she's living with her father and 'stepmother' Phebe/Phoebe. Thomas's occ: journeyman glove maker.

Is anyone please able to find her after 1851?
    I think she may have married John Cramp, 1859, Leicester as Ann Cramp, daughter of Harriett was born / buried 1860 is in the same burial plot as Phoebe
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

This could be her in 1861 with husband named as Job rather than John.

7 Bedford Street, St Margaret’s parish, Leicester

There are 3 heads of household at this address and the Cramps have been indexed as if they were on their own but they’re not. The first head of household is, (I think), Harriet’s father Thomas with no wife which would fit if his 2nd wife Phoebe is dead.

Job Cramp Head Married Male 21 1840 Stocking maker Leicester, Leicestershire, England
    Harriet Cramp Wife Married Female 21 1840 Glove stitcher Leicester, Leicestershire, England
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 10:14.

Comment

Thanks ever so much for this info Galloway Lass ... I've been going round in circles trying to find her !!

The first head of household is, (I think), Harriet’s father Thomas
      .... I did wonder where Thomas was in 1861.

Phoebe Lacey died 1859 .... however I've not been able to find Thomas & Phoebe's marriage.
      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 23-05-22, 10:23.

Comment

Harriet must have died between censuses. Job is still in Leicester in 1871 (now a labourer) but with a new wife Sarah A. [ATKINS] married 1863 and three young children.

Does the father for Job match what you have on the 1859 marriage certificate? FMP marriage finder index says that Harriet Lacey married Job Cramp in 1859. Sadly, I can't find a parish marriage image for that one. Occupation of F.W.K (frame work knitter) would fit for him being a stocking maker in 1861.

CRAMP, Job and ATKINS, Sarah A Marriage 1863.jpg
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 10:44.

Comment

Harriett's death. Presuming from this and the death of a baby aged 0 the following year that she died as a result of childbirth and the baby Harriet didn't live very long afterwards.

CRAMP, HARRIET 22
          GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 128
          CRAMP, HARRIET 0
          GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 132
          CRAMP, HARRIET LACEY
          GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 191
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 10:53.

Comment

Thanks again for your help

I think she may have married John Cramp
            ... just looked this up again on Ancestry and it does state John Cramp - however having checked on FreeBMD Harriet marries Job Cramp.

Does the father for Job match what you have on the 1859 marriage certificate?
            ... not got a copy of cert so unable to verify his name. Having said that the other info seems to match.

Comment

wow Galloway Lass you're much too quick for me! Poor Harriet

Comment

This should be Job's birth certificate. Cannot find parish baptism so far.

CRAMP, JOB HOLMES
                GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in LEICESTER UNION Volume 15 Page 112

and his parents' marriage in St Margaret's, Leicester

CRAMP, William and HOLMES, Elizabeth Marriage 1815.jpg
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 11:19.

Comment

Have you noticed who is witness at Job and Sarah's marriage . Susannah Lacey!!
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

1841 Job is with his parents at Belgrave Gate, Goddard's Yard, St. Margaret, Leicester. His father is what looks like Stockingm which is used all over the page presumably short for Stockingmaker.

1868 it looks like he got imprisoned for 6 months for larceny. Nothing to 100% say it's actually him though.

1881 he's employed as frame work knitter again and is with his 2nd wife and family at 8 Emerald Street, St Leonard, Leicester

Job dies in 1885 buried 21 April at St Leonards, Leicester

CRAMP, JOB 43
                    GRO Reference: 1885 J Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 148

Ancestry has indeed indexed the marriage in 1859 as John but FMP has it as Job. There is bit of a splat on the image but I think the last letter is meant to be 'b', maybes the clerk realised he was about to make a mistake and his pen got over inked?

Capture2.JPG

Comment

Harriet herself is buried in the same cemetery as Phoebe and babies Ann and Harriet.

Burial 27 September 1861 at Welford Road cemetery, Leicester. (from National Burial Index as was the date for Job's burial)

Comment

Need to get some more housework done now - that had been my masterplan for the day but it went a bit wonky LOL

Comment

thanks again, hope you got the housework done.

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                            thanks again, hope you got the housework done.
                            Glad to help.
                            I got a fair bit done in the house but didn’t feel up to steam cleaning the hard floors. My steamer is a heavy one and I think I’d best leave that for another couple of weeks. It’s great having a Dyson stick hoover as I can manage that now no problem - except of course for the head needing taking apart and cleaned as it wasn’t picking up very well. A job for another day as I can’t remember how I did it last time but there are plenty videos on YouTube.
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 21:43.

Comment

Welford Road burials:

Plot N277 (common grave - unconsecrated section)
                              2 Sep 1858 (no forename) CRAMP, infant child of Harriet, Woodboy Street, St Margaret. [NB Possibly a different Harriet if yours didn't marry until 1859]
                              (along with lots of others, mainly babies)

Plot R1049 (common grave - unconsecrated section)
                              27 Sep 1861 Harriet CRAMP of Fennel Street, St Margaret, aged 22,
                              24 Mar 1862 Harriet CRAMP of 42 Gravel Street, St Margaret, aged 7 months
                              (plus 4 others, apparently unrelated, 20 years later)

Plot N1406 (freehold grave - consecrated section)
                              20 Apr 1885 Job CRAMP of Abbey Gate, St Leonard, aged 43
                              14 Aug 1885 Arthur CRAMP of Abbey Gate, St Leonard, aged 10
                              12 Dec 1889 Job CRAMP Abbey Gate, St Leonard, aged 21
                              also
                              26 Nov 1885 Robert John BLUNT Abbey Gate, St Leonard, aged 22
                              3 Nov 1872 Sarah COULSON Gardeners Yard, Belgrave Gate, St Margaret, aged 64

Comment

thanks teasie

Comment

Working...
                                X