thomas walker help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thomas walker help please

i'm looking for thomas walker b.1784 deighton by northallerton yorks. son of robert walker and elizabeth gerry.

i've found a thomas walker in east thickley/shildon, durham in 1851. 67, b.1784 yorkshire deaton. tailor on parish relief with wife elenor 65 b.1786 raby, durham. "yorkshire" has a black mark through it, and the person above is born in denton, durham.

there is a marriage in 1812 at darlington, of "thomas walker of saint john ?stanwick in the county of york, tailor and eleanor moses OTP". i think this is the same couple, and the image is poor, so i think he is from stanwick st john which is only half an hr away from deighton these days.

thoughts on whether he may be mine? or coud be the 1851 census be meant to be denton not deaton?

Not looked at an image yet but Denton, County Durham was a village which is now within the Borough of Darlington so the 1812 marriage you found is a good possibility.
    Denton is 70 odd miles north of Deighton, near York. There is another Deighton in Yorkshire though which is near Huddersfield and 88 miles south of Denton. A Google search tells me the Deighton near Huddersfield is pronounced Dee-ton.
    EDIT I have just found the third Deighton in Yorkshire which is the Northallerton one. I missed that bit in your earlier post, dunno how! Sorry.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 09:27.

Comment

Is this image any clearer than the one you have seen? Comparing the placename with the one in the line above, the lower one is Deaton and the upper one is Denton.

Capture.JPG
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 09:41.

Comment

As he's on parish relief, there would have been a poor relief application, hopefully still extant somewhere. The parish for East Thickley is Auckland, St Andrew. These pages should help track down records.

Auckland St Andrew, Durham Genealogy • FamilySearch

Poor Law - Durham Record Office

Poor Law Records - Durham Record Office . A link to a pdf document containing a list (not read it)
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-05-22, 10:01.

Comment

I was wondering if the deaton was supposed to be denton, hence why yorkshire was marked. Unless was just an enumerator thing. The name is so common, just want to make sure i'm on the right track.

Comment

Working...
          X