Leipzig, Germany - Help with Schenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leipzig, Germany - Help with Schenke

I'm trying to assist someone with their research.
    Richard Herman Schenke was born 20 DEC 1872 in Germany. A Masonic letter indicates he was born in "Hirschfelder" Germany. Trees on Ancestry indicate that he was born in Leipzig, Germany. There is a "Hirschfeld" in Leipzig, so I think that's the most likely way to merge the two pieces of info.

Richard immigrated to the US and married Clara Meier/Meyer in 1900 in Wisconsin. His marriage cert and DC indicate he was s/o Herman Schenke and Augusta Pinkert.

I'm looking for more German records about him and his ancestors. Does anyone have access to or know of BMD records for this part of Germany in this time period? Thanks!

First ports of call would be ancestry and familysearch- they are most likely to have some appetisers. Not much is online for germany. But familysearch should have a page on leipzig and details about what records exist.

failing that, and really the only way forward is to hire a researcher in germany. Not just to locate records (which may be difficult in saxony as it's in east germany) but to translate them too....german to english loses some meanings if you don't speak german, and german script can be very difficult to make out- i have some records that look like arabic from the way they were scribbled.

it's not cheap, nor quick and easy. They also only use parish records and civil reg (but they can be incredibly detailed, much more so than english speaking records). They don't really have censuses, and where they have been taken, they are not transcribed, online or used for genealogy.....so it can very much be, a needle in a haystack.

Comment

Thanks, KJ - I visited both sites, and don't think (!?) they have anything - especially nothing that is indexed/transcribed.

I doubt the person I'm assisting will be willing to pay for research.

Comment

They could contact a researcher and see what the options are. Perhaps you could order films through lds and give it a go yourselves?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          They could contact a researcher and see what the options are. Perhaps you could order films through lds and give it a go yourselves?
          I took a gander at FamilySearch's catalog - I can't even get thru the titles to know if they might apply - also, they don't have any entries for Hirschfeld, just Leipzig in general.

Se habla espanol aqui. No German. Another hurdle.

Thanks, Kyle!
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 12-05-22, 15:29.

Comment

Working...
          X