No announcement yet.

Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought that this was interesting, this is James Silver Father of Alice, all the children are on there:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...3/james-silver
    his father built a house named Netherley and is where he died.

This seems a big coincidence to me, and it is as though she kept her family ties. This must be Keith's Maternal line - even if his paternal line is not proved.

james silver.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...griculturalist)

My mind is blown as they seem to be swapping about between Silver and Keith

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-crombie-keith

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive....10710/021/0006

​Dr Keith (Aberdeen)
    m Burnette Silver D 25 March 1853 father George Silver of Netherley and Mushalls? KIncardineshire
    Children:
    Colonel William Keith RE b 4 Oct 1836 eldest of 5 sons

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-09-22, 12:42.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      Dr Keith (Aberdeen)
      m Burnette Silver D 25 March 1853 father George Silver of Netherley and Mushalls? KIncardineshire
      Children:
      Colonel William Keith RE b 4 Oct 1836 eldest of 5 sons​
      Muchalls is a village in Fetteresso parish, Kincardineshire. The link here interestingly mentions that Fetteresso Castle is the ancient seat of the Keith family

I reckon most likely the address for Miss Silver means Muchalls Castle, seat of the Burnetts of Leys - ?possible hint at a family connection to the bride in her forename?

Muchalls, built around 1619, consists of 3 ranges closed by a wall to form a courtyard and much altered over the years, most recently in 1927.

Comment

• the family sold original Netherley, and then I reckon various family members then called their own property Netherley. a qick newspaper search with Silver and Netherley brings up various results!

Alice kept it going by naming her place in Knole Road, which is probably why I can't find it on much as she must have renamed when when moved in.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• just found this, this is the Keith teasie mentioned a while back, Alice's brother. How sad

keith silver.jpg
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

• Hi Everyone
            I can see you have found more information regarding Alice Silver's family, thank you. I have at last received Keith Silver BC and it really does not answer or solve any of our questions about this family. The DOB is exactly the same date that Keith gives on the 1939 register when he is living with his wife and family. It confirms his mother is Alice Silver and he was born at 80 Warrior Square, St Leonards on Sea, Urban district St Mary Magdalen, district Hastings and the home address is the same as birth address.
            I feel sure this is him but do not understand why she called herself Smith on the 1901 census return and is living with a Maud Smith who is the servant, I found no evidence that they are related. Their are so many anomalies with this family I have decided to move on. I am going to type out an explanation for my niece and enclose all the census returns and articles and certificates found so she can then make her own decision as to who is who. I think it will take me a while to explain so I am going to do it in chronological order in hope she will understand it as it is very confusing.
            Thank you to everyone for their research time spent on this family, I am very grateful and a big thank you once again.
            Attached Files
            GWEN

Comment

• It must be him, with exact dob. Certainly solved the mother's identity, which is nice, father could really be anyone.

For what its worth, in my head, I think she is the Alice married mentioned in post 124 was married to Jean Anton Smith when she gave birth to Keith, but it wasn't his child so she went back to her maiden name and says she was single - he may have still been alive at the time.

I think Walter was either the father and things didn't work out, or he was very close to Alice and having no children of his own became a 'parent' to him.

the stories of Alice Silver and her family are very much part of his life, and find it odd that Mary (Campbell) Silver, her elder sister didn't feature in his life. The Silver family have some interesting stories.

Could Jean Anton Smith even be the bigamist?

It does look like you maybe can't go any further.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

• Hi again all, I've been away on holiday so just catching up.

Good to see that Keith Silver's DoB exactly matches that of Keith Andrew. I don't think there's any doubt that they are one and the same person.

Comment

• Just twigged that the address on the birth certificate is different to the baptism, although both are on Warrior Square.

In 1901 number 80 (the birth address) is headed by Beatrice M Reynolds, a Boarding House Keeper, who has numerous guests staying with her who appear to be fairly 'well to do'. Suggests that this was a temporary address only.

Comment

Working...
                  X