Worse bloodshed avoided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse bloodshed avoided

this is the title of an article in the Leicester Evening Mail 6 October 1935, it goes on to read;

... aged 83, of High Street, Anstey at about 8.15 ... So fierce was the outbreak that Mr T Smart, neighbour and Mr Taft, a local fireman made a dash to the village fire station for a length of hose.

There were several Mr Tafts living in the village at the time, is anyone able to access the article and ascertain which Mr Taft was a fireman?
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 03-05-22, 13:38.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Don’t have newspaper access but on 1939 Register (ancestry index) there are 7 men and 1 boy named Taft and not one is a fireman - at least not for their main occupation. I will look at the images and see if there’s anything on the 2nd pages.
    UPDATE. Nothing in the 2 pages about fireman or similar.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-05-22, 14:15.

Comment

The bloodshed headline refers to the article above it. There are no details of the fireman though the incident was a chimney fire caused by soot falling into a pan of bacon being fried by Mrs Anstey aged 83, they succeeded in preventing the fire spreading to the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        The bloodshed headline refers to the article above it. There are no details of the fireman though the incident was a chimney fire caused by soot falling into a pan of bacon being fried by Mrs Anstey aged 83, they succeeded in preventing the fire spreading to the roof.
        A Mrs. Anstey living in High Street, Anstey?? Have I been searching the 1939 in the wrong village?

Comment

It's Mrs Marlow
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

hi all, thanks for looking. I also looked at 1939 index without finding the fireman.
            No suitable candidate in death registrations 1935-9 either!!
            Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Apologies for my slip up on post #3

Comment

Working...
              X