Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 19: My ancestor was a pottery worker

Week 19: Pottery worker

This is an opportunity to showcase a pottery worker from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

[Next week: Clergyman]

David and Elizabeth Simpson of Greenock and around Glasgow were my 3x great grandparents.

This is probably the sort of thing they'd have created.

b9cad-transferc1860.jpg
    They were both in the Glasgow pottery industry as were their children. David's father was a cotton handloom weaver and his son James later married a power loom weaver.

James, my direct ancestor, and his family left Glasgow as the factories were beginning to close because of cheaper foreign imports and ended up as a warehouseman in a plumbing company in Clerkenwell.

It is one of the families I have written up. They had a pretty tough life one way and another.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

OMG! I could do you a dissertation sized post on the many pottery workers in my paternal gran’s family. She herself was an overlooker before leaving to train as a nurse. They were based in the various towns of ‘The Potteries’ of Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire although two men of one family went north to Scotland to work and married Scots girls. Both stayed there and died there. One in Bo’ness and one in Glasgow. Suffice it to say my tree is chock full of potters.

Comment

I don't seem to have any ancestors but OH has some.

The Carters were in Staffordshire and in most census until 1891 were brick makers then suddenly they all became China dealers. Samuel his 2 xx G Grandfather left quite a bit of money in a will so seemed to do well out of it.
        G Grandfather and Grandfather were both China Dealers but in Derby. I presume doing the markets but no seems to know in the family.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I was born and lived in the Potteries until I left for university, but as neither parent came from the area, never thought I had potters in my genes - until I started family research. While I haven't found any potting antecedents post 1800, prior to that date there are a number of Wedgwoods. My 5th great grandfather, John Tunstall was a potter ( marriage record and will), his grandmother being a Wedgwood. There were several more, but my only tangible link are my mother's various bone china cups and saucers to which I have a sentimental attachment.
          Last edited by roteto; 01-05-22, 13:08.

Comment

Working...
          X