Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising find when clearing out my Grandma's attic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising find when clearing out my Grandma's attic!

My Grandma was the most amazing, kind and beautiful woman who sadly passed away last year. She was the glue of our family with 4 kids, and multiple Grandchildren. Over the past few weeks we have finally made the effort to start clearing out her house to get things sorted and get the house up for sale. My husband and I were clearing the attic last week when we came across a box containing some quite shocking photographs of my Grandma (who seemed to be in her 20s at the time) appearing in a 1960s UK Spanking Magazine (something I never thought I would end up having to write!!!

I was in absolute disbelief when I found the photos and I didn't really know what to do - my Aunt was at the house with us helping to clear so we rather awkwardly brought up what we had just found. My Aunt then confided in us that she knew about the photographs and the story behind them. In the 1960s my Grandma was in her late 20s with 4 young kids and was married to my Grandfather (who passed away before I was born). In the 60s my Grandfather was involved in an accident in his workplace which effectively left him disabled and unable to work for a period of time. Disability laws/benefits at the time weren't great and, as he was the only breadwinner in the household, it left the family in a difficult position. Well paying jobs for women were also few and far between so my Grandma basically had no choice and ended up replying to a modelling magazine advertisement in the newspaper as the family needed money to put food on the table, pay rent and afford clothes for the kids. She posed for a few modelling shoots which brought in some much needed money. Apparently my Grandfather absolutely hated her doing it but he realised that they had no real choice (it was never talked about in the family).

When I initially found the photos I was so weirded out and I am ashamed to say quite embarrassed that she had done something like that - however I am now so incredibly proud of my Grandma! She did this as an act of love so that she could put her family first and provide for her husband and her children ❤️

She is in the centre of the first pic, right on the second and stood in the 3rd. After speaking my my mum, her sisters and brother they agreed that we as a family are happy to tell her story.

I know this isn't the most conventional post but it really shows the hidden gems in each of our family trees and the rich and diverse stories we all have xx

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 29-04-22, 17:30. Reason: Photos deleted
Working...
X