Divorce in England help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce in England help please

I have now established that our Jessie Hiddleston's husband and father of her son was married three times and divorced twice (all three deceased) that's if the info. on the marriage certificates is actually true. Given that both marriages were in a Registration Office, I'm assuming the existence of the divorces to be true.
    His name was Boguslaw Andrzej Chmielowiec later Andrzej Bogsulaw Chmielowiec and on death he was Andrew Boguslaw Chmielowiec.
    The first marriage to Stanislawa Kostrzewianka in 1932 must have been in Poland as I can't find anything in England, Wales or Scotland. Assuming she is the same Stanislawa Chmielowiec who married another Chmielowiec in England, she and her 2nd husband are also deceased.
    The second marriage was 1934 to Jessie Hiddleston in the Registration Office, Halifax, Yorkshire. The certificate said he had obtained a divorce from Stanislawa.
    The third marriage was 1952 to Gladys Vanda Fraser or Heard in the Registration Office, Brighton, Sussex. The certificate said he was 'The divorced husband of Jessie Hiddleston, Spinster'. Gladys is also now deceased.
    The first two marriages lasted approximately a decade depending on the actual dates of divorce. The first divorce must be between 1932 and 1943 and the second between 1943 and 1952.
    I can't find anything in the catalogue for a Scottish divorce for the marriage to Jessie so both must have been in an English court, most likely in Yorkshire or Sussex.
    How do I go about finding evidence of the date of these divorces?

There are some at the National Archives. Just had a quick look but the name could have been changed a bit.

I had to go into family history and divorce and put the name in.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

This guide tells you all you need to know re divorce :

1. Why use this guide? This guide will help you to find records held at The National Archives for divorce and separation. You are unlikely to find documents for any divorce since 1937 among our records. For legal proof of your own divorce, or any divorce in England or Wales since 1858 to the present, […]

Interesting to note:

4. Divorce case files, 1858-1972
      Each divorce suit created a case file. The National Archives holds case files for all divorces from the Supreme Court 1858-1937 – very few case files survive after 1937.

4.1 What proportion of case files survive?
      The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
      1928-1937: 80%
      After 1937: less than 0.2%
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks folks. Doesn’t look hopeful that I will find them.

Comment

Even if the file with all the details hasn't survived, surely there is a note of the divorce being finalised? My state changed divorce laws in 1974, so the file was kept prior, but from 1975 when you apply for historical divorces post 1975, you get a sheet of paper stating the dates of decree nisi and decree absolut. The juicy details are no longer kept.

Comment

Newspapers used to report divorces in the days when it was considered newsworthy, for whatever reason. The details not usually published but I certainly remember seeing lists of recent local divorces in the paper when I was younger. Your biggest problem with this case is the variable spelling of the surname, which of course both parties would be listed under. Makes it more laborious to search.
            Anne
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 24-04-22, 07:58.

Comment

I had a quick look on FMP's newspapers without success.

Comment

I looked in newspapers too, might be there one day, that issue may not be on line, and the spelling could be hard.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have no idea whether or not this marriage ended in divorce or not. Mr Wilks and Rosa certainly never married and he died within a year of these proceedings. Having read the Divorce Petition for Wilks v Wilks 1858 I assumed it would have been a straightforward case of a wife divorcing her husband - for desertion, cruelty and adultery. However, I am still not sure of the final outcome due to newspaper reporting and the absence of a decree nisi etc.

Wilkes v Wilkes query sp. John Bull 2 Jul1859.jpg
                  Wilkes v Wilkes - John Bull 2 Jul 1859 - Their Lordships decreed a dissolution of the marriages

Daily News london 1 7 1859.jpg
                  Wilkes v Wilkes -Daily News London 1 Jul 1859 - Their Lordships decreed a dissolution of the marriages

Morning Post 1 7 1859.jpg 2 Morning Post 1 7 1859.jpg
                  Wilks v Wilks - Morning Post 1 Jul 1859 - The Court thought the evidence only sufficient to warrant a sentence of judicial separation.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Searches for divorces and getting a copy of the decree absolute can be done through the court service, but can be expensive if you don't have many details.

How to order a copy of a decree absolute or a final order if you want to remarry or prove that you have divorced your former husband or wife or ended a civil partnership.

The lack of case papers being available for divorces after 1937 was the result of a legal direction made later (by Lord Denning when he was Master of the Rolls, I believe ).

Last edited by AntonyM; 24-04-22, 13:38.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                    X