William Kirktown - missing DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Kirktown - missing DC

William Kirktown was born on 14 Jan 1856 in Aberchirder, Banffshire, Scotland. Shortly thereafter, his family packed up and moved to Ontario. His gravestone indicates he died in 1907.

I can find his census records.

He has a gravestone photoed on various sites, including FindAGrave

It's his Death Certificate that I haven't located - I've looked on Ancestry and Familysearch (but you may be able to do a better search!).

An obituary would be a bonus.

Thanks for the consideration

He died in Canada, so you need to find the province in which he died ................ presumably Ontario from what you say, but he could have died in another province.

I have one of OH's ancestors who died in Ontario but was buried in Saskatchewan ..................... I only found that out by finding an obituary card in among some "stuff" that OH's mother sent over here years ago.

I still have not found her death though ............. in the early 1920s.

Look for Vital Statistics in Canada

Try this site to start with, it's supposed to have deaths from 1869-1949 ............

Ontario records are on FindMyPast. I find his gravestone shown as on Billion Graves, and sever census records but no Vital Statistics.

Last edited by Sylvia C; 11-04-22, 03:05.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
      Thanks Sylvia - the archives gives the FS microfilm number - and I was able to look at the index for 'K' in 1907 - my man was not there. Looking thru all the DCs for 1907 was my next choice. They are on FS, tho they didn't appear when I clicked on the link. Sometimes that's just FS. But looking thru all the 1907 DCs - well that's a labor of love for a side branch. Ugh.

I think I remember seeing a tree on Ancestry that said he died in 1911. Seems like the gravestone shouldn't be that far off.

Comment

For what it's worth a brief funeral notice for his wife. Bottom of the page under 'Died'.
        Last edited by keldon; 11-04-22, 09:23.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

From 1937. Is this the same family? There's a Joseph Kirktown marrying a McKennitt. Brothers or Cousins?

Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            From 1937. Is this the same family? There's a Joseph Kirktown marrying a McKennitt. Brothers or Cousins?
            Well, that's just totally fascinating...the deceased's first name is wrong. That's my g'grandfather...I have his baptism, and there is no mention of Joseph. No CivReg in Scotland at the time of his birth, but the baptism records his DOB.

Thank you!

Comment

The Markdale newspapers are a fascinating tho frustrating resource.

Switching subjects, I'm very interested in the notice for Richard McKennitt, died 1913

I can't find the actual notice in that issue, and suspect that it's only a death notice. I'd be very interested in an obit, as his parents are a bit of a mystery (not sure they've got it right on his death reg.)

Comment

I can see a marriage for William to Elizabeth McKennett 1887 Grey, Ontario. Witness Martha McKennett. William's parents Alexander and Elizabeth as per bc of 1856.

In 1891 William a Widow in Grey, Ontario
                In 1891 m of William Kirkton to Martha Kennett. It says William is a Bachelor?? but parents still Alexander and Elizabeth
                1901 with Martha.
                1911 Martha a Widow

So 19O7 looks possible for death

Can't see a death for Elizabeth. Perhaps buried with her?

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  I can see a marriage for William to Elizabeth McKennett 1887 Grey, Ontario. Witness Martha McKennett. William's parents Alexander and Elizabeth as per bc of 1856.

In 1891 William a Widow in Grey, Ontario
                  In 1891 m of William Kirkton to Martha Kennett. It says William is a Bachelor?? but parents still Alexander and Elizabeth
                  1901 with Martha.
                  1911 Martha a Widow

So 19O7 looks possible for death

Can't see a death for Elizabeth. Perhaps buried with her?

Vera
                  Yeah, William married Elizabeth, she died, and he married Martha, Elizabeth's sister.

And there's another Kirktown-McKennitt marriage too...William's brother, Martha's sister...

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    The Markdale newspapers are a fascinating tho frustrating resource.

Switching subjects, I'm very interested in the notice for Richard McKennitt, died 1913

I can't find the actual notice in that issue, and suspect that it's only a death notice. I'd be very interested in an obit, as his parents are a bit of a mystery (not sure they've got it right on his death reg.)
                    It’s on the front page towards the bottom of column 5 - just above the Stop, Think, Act advert.

Christine
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

It’s on the front page towards the bottom of column 5 - just above the Stop, Think, Act advert.

Christine
                      Thank you - I'd looked at it several times without success!

Comment

Working...
                      X