Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 15: My ancestor was part of the legal system

Week 15: Legal system

Was someone in your tree a magistrate, or do you have a court clerk, solicitor, coroner, barrister or judge?

This is an opportunity to showcase a member of the legal system from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    If you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

[Next week: Governess/nursemaid]

Frederick Adolphus Philbrick is not in my direct line but a third cousin. He was a well known barrister, judge and philatelist in the second half of the 19th century. Frederick’s father and two of his uncles were also solicitors.

He was born 20 June 1835 in Colchester, the eldest so
    n of Frederick Blomfield Philbrick and his wife Judith (Sheldrake), and attended the University of London; he was called to the bar in 1858. In 1874 he was appointed Queen’s Counsel. Some of Frederick Philbrick’s cases can be found at oldbaileyonline.org. In 1885, he was appointed County Court Judge at Dorset.

Frederick was one of the founding members of the Philatelic Society and served as president for 20 years from 1872. He became a freemason in 1864 and had a lodge named after him in 1888. He was also known for his orchid growing.

Frederick Philbrick was married twice and had two sons by his first wife (Charlotte Beadel, died 1868) and three daughters by his second (Jemima Cockburn, died 1879). He died on Christmas Day in 1910 in Bournemouth and is buried in Colchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Philbrick

Attached Files
    Last edited by jenoco; 02-04-22, 19:41.
    Jenny

Comment

Sadly the nearest I can get to this one is ancestors who appeared before a Judge!
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
        Sadly the nearest I can get to this one is ancestors who appeared before a Judge!
        Funnily enough I'm thinking of adding "criminal" or something similar to the list! I have a few who could feature too.

Comment

I have far too many for that category!
          My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I think the same as Paul, that I have more on the wrong side as the correct side but I do have a family that I can add.

The Bayles Family.

James Bayles born 1495 Potter Newton near Leeds. Attended Middle Temple from 1515 - 1523. He was the first of seven generations to go to Middle temple. Can't remember where I got this info from!!

John Bayles born 1525 and died 21 Dec 1588 in Wilby Suffolk. Attended Middle Temple and granted Arms in 1576.

Thomas Bayles 1555 - 1639 Wilby Suffolk.

A few years ago a distant cousin wrote to Middle Temple and the reply in short was:-

They don't have all the records but what he could find was
            Thomas Bayles admitted 22 Feb 1576/7
            Thomas Bayles admitted 1622/3 and called 24 Jun 1631. Bencher 5 Nov 1652
            Thomas his son 1654.

That will do but there may be more.

This family were buried at Wilby and a lot of them have plaques in the church. This has helped a lot with the research.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
            X