Help with Army records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Army records

My grandad, born 1903 in Dublin, joined the British Army. I’m not sure when, but I do have a postcard that was sent to him in 1927 at the Army Barracks in Hounslow, West London. I also know he served in India at some point and got malaria.
    He married my grandmother in Dublin in 1931 and by this point had left the army.
    Sometime during the Second World War, he rejoined the British Army. In 1946/47 he was living at an Army camp in Yeading, Middlesex. At this point, my grandmother and their six children moved to England.
    I am now the oldest surviving member of the family and I would like to obtain his army records. Does anyone know if both periods of service would be included as one record? I don’t know his army number or what regiment he was in. Also, how much detail is contained? I’m puzzled about why he joined the British Army in the first place, and then why he rejoined (he was a staunch Catholic and quite anti English when we were growing up).
    As always, I wish I had asked more questions while the people that could answer them were still here!
    Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. TIA

If you have ancestry you might be able to find his attestation papers or a pension application from his first period of service. Enter his name, age +/- 2 years and his place of birth as Dublin and see what comes up. I don’t think an application for his service records would include anything before 1920 (by that year just about everybody returning had reached home and been demobbed but I’m not 100% certain as I have not done any application myself. I do know that currently all records are handled from Glasgow but there are plans to have the whole lot from up there transferred to TNA in London and digitised - I only recently read that in a family tree magazine. Application take a long time to process. Even before delays due to covid it could take a year or maybe more.

This is the page you need for details of how to go about it.

Comment

Working...
    X