X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 14: My ancestor was a framework knitter/seamer

Week 14: Framework knitter/seamer

[Photo by Darksecretz]

This is an opportunity to showcase a framework knitter or a seamer from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

[Next week: the legal system]

I have quite a few as a lot of Framework knitters came from Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire.

I have been to the FWK museum in Ruddington and it is really interesting. Also my Grandmother was a Hurt and there is G H Hurt factory in Chilwell, close to us, and they have old FWK machines there. He is a distant relation to me and I introduced myself. They make baby shawls for royalty. Worth a look on the internet.

I have only done my direct ancestors otherwise I would be here all day.

Henry Everitt born 19 Feb 1823 in Doncaster, married Ann Keys 1843 in Nottingham and died 26 Jul 1896 in Nottingham Workhouse. He was my 3 x G Grandfather.
    William Everitt born 7 Jan 1848 in Nottingham, son of above, married Sarah Ann Moore in 1869 in Nottingham and died 3 Mar 1908. He seemed to live at a different address on every document he is on.
    John Keys, the father of Ann Keys mentioned above, was bap 20 May 1771 in Gedling Nottingham I haven't found his marriage yet but his wife was Elizabeth, and died in the Union Hospital Nottingham15 Jun 1838.
    Robert Moore, the Grandfather of Sarah Ann above, was baptised in Pentrich Derbyshire on 24 Mar 1784, he married Ann Scothern on 2 Dec 1811 and all his children were born in Nottingham. Died 9 Aug 1839

It seems to be that FWK and Lace work were done by a lot of people in Nottingham. A lot of the work was done on a family basis with the wives/children doing the seams. I have no idea whether any of mine went out to work or had a frame at home.

There are a few more later!!
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

William Brown was born in 1808 in Kirkby in Ashfield Nottinghamshire. He married Mary Ann Osborn in 1830.
      They were living in Kirkby on all census that I have found them on and give their occupations as Framework knitters
      Their 3 children also were in the trade:

Ellen b.1838
      William b. 1841
      Elizabeth b. 1847

William b. 1841 was working as a FWK until 1860 when he enlisted with the 59th Foot regiment, which took him to London and where he married Ann Larkin an irish woman. Due to ill health he was retired from the Grenadier guards in 1870 and returned to Kirkby to raise his young family, sadly he passed in 1872 leaving his wife with three young children to look after.
      Ellen married John Rowbottom and were frame knitting in 1861/1871/1881 census. John died in 1886 and Ellen married John Mellors who was a Labourer/Carter. So by 1891 Ellen was shown as no occupation, so the frame knitting stops there.
      Elizabeth married a farmer.

I too have been to the FWK museum and found it fascinating and can't wait to go back to have a look at the newly renovated complex.

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just a few more.

John Lowe, my 3 x G Grandfather was born in 1817 to William and Hannah. He married Sarah in 1843 and was a FWK on 1841, 1851 and 1861 Census. He then changed to Sugar Boiler /Confectioner on the rest. He died in 1895 and left a will of over £800.

William Lowe, father of above was born in 1787 in Arnold Nottingham. He married Hannan Metheringham in 1804. He is listed on the 1816 Ward and Watch for Nottingham. This was the forerunner to the police. Each ward had people who went out in the evening and kept law and order.
        He dies in 1821 and Hannah married Charles Miller also a FWK.

Abraham Alvey , my 6 x G Grandfarher, was born in 1754 in Whitwell Derbyshire and in 1767 he was an apprenticed FWK to his father Jacob, it was a charity apprenticeship. Married Ruth Shelton in 1773 and dies in 1819.

Jacob Alvey born 1725 Nottingham, married in Whitwell to Isabel Marshall and died in Nottingham in 1792. The only reference to FWK is the indenture of his son.
        Lin

Comment

This is a sad one.

John Brammer, my 4 x G Grandfather, was baptised in Spittlegate Grantham on 3 July 1774 to John and Sarah. In 1785 the overseer of the poor apprenticed John to George Foster of Calverton in Nottinghamshire FWK for £6 6s. He also had 2 bothers who were apprenticed out One to Nottingham and the other to Lincoln.

In 1792 he married Ann Hallam in Calverton. They had 2 children there then moved to Nottingham where they had 6 more, unfortunately only one son John lived to adulthood. John the younger was left a widow in 1838 with 4 children

Sometime after this John the elder was receiving Poor Relief from Calverton of 3s plus a stone of bread a week. Things were hard for him as he had no work and he made a bit of money lasting shoes for people. Then Calverton reduced his poor relief by 1s. He was very worried about his son and it all got to much for him and he hung himself on 29 November 1842. He was found and taken to the workhouse. He was certified dead there and the verdict was 'He hung himself during a fit of mental derangement'

Very sad a such a shock when the certificate came through the door as you can imaging. There was an inquest in the Nottingham Journal and he was buried at St Marys Church in Nottingham. Such a sad life really
          Lin

Comment

Lin Fisher it's always a shock when you discover a death such as this, even though it was so long ago. Thank you for sharing his story.

Comment

Thomas Shelton was born in 1833 in Bulwell Nottm, he married Martha Beeston in 1859 in Hucknall Torkard. At the time of their marriage, Thomas was a FWK and Martha was a seamer, they soon settled down to married life and began a family.
              in 1861 they were living in Red Lion Yard Hucknall Torkard and Thomas's occupation is listed as FWK Cottager and Martha is a seamer.
              1871 and Thomas is still a FWK but now his sons William and Samuel are also Framework Knitters, no occupation for Martha though I suspect she was still helping but also looking after the children.
              William b 1858
              Samuel b 1860
              Julia b 1865
              Thomas b 1867

1881 and the family were still FWknitting, Thomas was now listed as a FWK hosier,
              Samuel was listed as a cripple but still knitting
              Julia was a seamer
              William had gone off and joined the army
              Thomas had begun his career in the coal industry.

Thomas and his daughter Julia had both succumbed to TB in 1889/1890 respectively by the time of this census. This left Martha and Samuel and Thomas still at home.
              Samuel was the only knitter left, Thomas junior was now a Colliery Banksman. Thomas marries in June 1891 and his wife and young family live with Martha and Thomas's brother Samuel.

in 1893 saw the death of Samuel again of TB and 1897 saw the death of Thomas of pneumonia and congestion of the lungs

Martha died in 1898 of TB.

I'm really quite lucky that I'm here really, Thomas junior was my grt grandad.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

SAM_0128.JPG

Just found this when looking for something else. A FWK machine from G H Hurts at Chilwell that I had mentioned earlier. It was taken on Heritage weekend a few years ago.
                Lin

Comment

J Shelton.JPG
                  This was what I was looking for. Oh's 2 x G Grandfather. The photo was in the museum in Ilkeston years ago. He was born in Gotham Notts in 1824, married in Ilkeston Derbys in 1849 and from 1841-1901 census was a FWK.
                  Lin

Comment

Working...
                  X