Inquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquest

According to burial info there was an inquest into the death of 11 yr old George Berrill who died December 1850, Oakley, Bedfordshire.

I've just done a newspaper search and found an article listed in the Bedfordshire Mercury 21 December 1850 but unable to read details as I don't have a newspaper sub.

Can anyone please let me know what the cause of death / outcome was? (a copy of the article would be great)
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Have PMed you
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Inquest 21 Dec 1950
      7 year old George son of Thos. pain for a fortnight. No doctor and no meds taken. The surgeon called for Monday, his asst came Tues evening but the boy had died at 10 am. Inquest held Friday 13th. Verdict "Died by(?) the visitation of God"

I have the cutting. I will email you with it. pm me your addy.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Many thanks to both of you. Surprised that verdict wasn't more specific !!
        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-03-22, 15:40.
        Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

"By Visitation of God" used to be an accepted cause of death when any person authorised to state said cause actually hadn't a clue what the cause was. I'm not sure of the time period when such "causes" ceased to be acceptable as the rules were firmed up. I have one from the mid 1800's where a 13 year old girl dropped down dead in the street and did not knowingly suffer from any medical condition.

Comment

I've just realised that one can send attachments via PM. I hadn't realised until today. That's great but it took me ages to work out how to open a reply from a sent pm since the change over from the old system we had here. :(
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
            X